I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread February 22nd, 2011, 05:10 PM

The End

Court Orders Blockbuster to Establish Fox Escrow Account

By : Erik Gruenwedel | Posted: 22 Feb 2011
egruenwedel@questex.com

Studio had sought more than $24 Million in rev-share funds.

A federal bankruptcy judge has ordered Blockbuster to create an escrow account to reimburse 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment its portion of a revenue-sharing agreement.

The studio Feb. 18 filed a motion in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in New York asking that Blockbuster “sequester” the funds required to pay the studio about $24 million in revenue-sharing funds.

The motion — filed three days before Blockbuster put itself up for sale — claimed the Dallas-based rental icon entered into a rev-share agreement with Fox on Aug. 28, 2005, mandating it pay a pre-determined (confidential) amount per rental transaction.

Don Jeffries, SVP of distribution for Fox Home Entertainment, said the motion was filed after Blockbuster informed him in January that it would not be able to pay the rev-share funds per instructions from its debtor-in-financing lenders.

Going forward, Fox contends Blockbuster also would not be able to pay almost $7 million in rev-share monies generated by the studio’s discs.

“Blockbuster’s latest actions indicate that there is at least a significant risk, if not a complete certainty, that Blockbuster will not turn over the revenue to Fox,”
the complaint read.

The studio said that with each passing week, movie discs lose appreciable value similar to a new car driven off the lot and subsequent depreciation with each mile driven.
Unread February 22nd, 2011, 05:42 PM
IHBB GOD

Business as usual...Push those bundles.
Unread February 22nd, 2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTheFacts View Post
Court Orders Blockbuster to Establish Fox Escrow Account

By : Erik Gruenwedel | Posted: 22 Feb 2011
egruenwedel@questex.com

Studio had sought more than $24 Million in rev-share funds.

A federal bankruptcy judge has ordered Blockbuster to create an escrow account to reimburse 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment its portion of a revenue-sharing agreement.

The studio Feb. 18 filed a motion in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in New York asking that Blockbuster “sequester” the funds required to pay the studio about $24 million in revenue-sharing funds.

The motion — filed three days before Blockbuster put itself up for sale — claimed the Dallas-based rental icon entered into a rev-share agreement with Fox on Aug. 28, 2005, mandating it pay a pre-determined (confidential) amount per rental transaction.

Don Jeffries, SVP of distribution for Fox Home Entertainment, said the motion was filed after Blockbuster informed him in January that it would not be able to pay the rev-share funds per instructions from its debtor-in-financing lenders.

Going forward, Fox contends Blockbuster also would not be able to pay almost $7 million in rev-share monies generated by the studio’s discs.

“Blockbuster’s latest actions indicate that there is at least a significant risk, if not a complete certainty, that Blockbuster will not turn over the revenue to Fox,”
the complaint read.

The studio said that with each passing week, movie discs lose appreciable value similar to a new car driven off the lot and subsequent depreciation with each mile driven.
Old news. The motion was filed Friday. And Fox is so worried they gave us Love and Other Drugs prior to the ruling on this motion. It is already in pool point and on the way.
Unread February 23rd, 2011, 08:11 AM

I don't understand why, if they had a $125 million DIP loan they didn't use and now can't because they let it expire, didn't they use it to pay off the studios??

Disclaimer: The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Blockbuster's or Dish Network's positions, strategies or opinions, because they are all a bunch of dickless idiots.
Unread February 23rd, 2011, 08:16 AM

Here is a link to an article about Universal demanding payment for shipped items:

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/uni...ay-discs-22057

at the end of the story it states that the DIP ordered payments stopped!
Unread February 23rd, 2011, 08:56 AM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas R Miller View Post
Here is a link to an article about Universal demanding payment for shipped items:

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/uni...ay-discs-22057

at the end of the story it states that the DIP ordered payments stopped!
Here they come.
Unread February 23rd, 2011, 09:08 AM
IHBB GOD

the beginning ......................
Unread February 23rd, 2011, 10:07 AM
IHBB Freak

I imagine this was the last resort for the major studios. I don't think any of them wanted Blockbuster to fail because we provide them with best profit return. Netflix and kiosks offer them pennies (I don't know about cable VOD but I assume it's not as good). Then with torrent sites and video piracy... well, it's kind of a perfect storm for them. I imagine the studios realized (or accepted) that Blockbuster really is dead and will not repay them and cannot be resurrected as the cash cow it was in the 90s/early 00s. So yes, it seems the fat lady is finally singing.
Unread February 23rd, 2011, 10:15 AM

There is a hearing tomorrow in Bankruptcy court regarding what they owe Summit, I wouldn't be at all suprised if the other studios made an appearance in Summit's favor. I also can't help but wonder how much BB owes the other major studios such as Warner and Paramount!

I think the next step for the studios is to demand payment up front for product or stop shipments completely.
Unread February 23rd, 2011, 05:46 PM
IHBB GOD

Sooo ... I wonder if they can dip into Keyes salary to pay the movie companies. Just a thought LOL
OzMan (February 24th, 2011)