I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread August 26th, 2010, 08:30 PM

Thank God I got fired!

They did for me what I could not do for myself. I was so miserable there but still tried and DIDN'T get fired for not meeting sales goals and I was GREAT with customers. I knew almost every customer on a first name basis and small-talked with just about everyone except for the occasional grump. Even though I hated the job to my core after awhile because the company is ALL about sales, I never let that boil over to customers to any noticeable level (well maybe 2 or 3 in like 3 years, which is totally human, EVERYONE has a crappy day or at least hour at times) But I left with dignity and class and thanked them for their tact in handling my situation.

Some good power is on my side because I was unemployed for only 9 days and I'm ECSTATIC that I can HELP customers instead of HASSLE them now at my new job, no outdated register to work, actual breaks/lunches, don't have to be by myself all day, no overnight inventories/carpet cleanings, no constant harassment by my DM/SM/ASM about sales, no TA's, no 3/5 bundles, no 'Rewards', no presales, no Escape Pass, no rental credit percentage (we used to have to call that in! lol) no having to eat while periodically taking customers, no surprise visits by corporate, no credit card machine not working and having to do it manually, no buying bundles/presale $5 down out of fear (anybody else do this? I'm sure I'm not the only one), no worrying about sales in my off time, no having to tell parents that kids movies are $5 instead of $1 (That killed those customers AND their EASY bundles, lol How hard is it to sell candy to parents with kids?), no more 'I thought you guys didn't have late fees?!' no more post 37's/20's/mo/mm or w.e.!!! no more searching the wall for movies people still have at home and WE KNOW THEY KNOW THEY HAVE 'EM (C'mon, 3 haven't been returned and one is an easy BSI to find and it's not there? pfffffffft!), no more people bangin' on the door for five mins before and after we close and staring us down, no more going in the morning TO THE WORST BANK OF ALL TIME! They were all slow, fake-ass robots that we had numerous problems with because they apparently don't know how to take care of their 'night drops.' No more CL-OPENS, no more cleaning puke or flooded bathrooms and yummy toilets. No more taking out the trash and getting stung by a bee (I torched that bees nest they made on the outside of the dumpster with insect spray, me 45 or so bees dead vs. their one sting! lol) finishing projects or organizing stuff because nobody else would ever do it.

I could go on forever but you get my point. I'm finally free of Blockbuster's miserable spell ;P
The Following User Says Thank You to Finallyfreebaby For This Useful Post:
BUYMECAR (August 28th, 2010)
Unread August 27th, 2010, 12:23 PM

Congrats on your freedom. Kinda sucks you were fired instead of let go, but at least you got a new job pretty fast. Welcome to your life.
Unread August 27th, 2010, 12:28 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finallyfreebaby View Post
They did for me what I could not do for myself. I was so miserable there but still tried and DIDN'T get fired for not meeting sales goals and I was GREAT with customers.
Did I miss something here? Why did you get fired?
The top Poster!
The Following User Says Thank You to zooworker For This Useful Post:
brucedx (August 27th, 2010)
Unread August 27th, 2010, 12:52 PM

Funny...I was wondering the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooworker View Post
Did I miss something here? Why did you get fired?
The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. -Richard Dawkins from The God Delusion

SPAY AND / OR NEUTER YOUR ANIMALS: Please watch this...
Clicky
Unread August 27th, 2010, 02:07 PM

Probably got fired for making 20 cents over minimum wage, and they wanted to hire someone new that could get paid minimum.

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Blockbuster's positions, strategies, or opinion.
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies, or opinion.
Unread August 27th, 2010, 02:09 PM
IHBB GOD

Please don't tell me this is another 1 hit wonder poster.....
Come on freebaby , you gotta tell us why..
The top Poster!
The Following User Says Thank You to zooworker For This Useful Post:
johnlow71 (August 27th, 2010)
Unread August 27th, 2010, 03:43 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
No more taking out the trash and getting stung by a bee (I torched that bees nest they made on the outside of the dumpster with insect spray, me 45 or so bees dead vs. their one sting! lol)
lol what? Where is your location?
Unread August 27th, 2010, 05:37 PM

congrats!

So what's it like on the other side?
Unread August 27th, 2010, 04:16 PM

First of all, let me preface this by saying I have a very subversive sense of humor and I worked at BLOCKBUSTER, not some serious corporate office where I'd know to always keep my mouth shut. But I'm very professional with customers around and I always stood up for my CSR's (even the really bad ones that I couldn't stand. It was my job to anyway right?) and tried to make BB a laugh riot and fun as I could during these ridiculously dark times. Apparently, I was wrong thinking that everyone was cool with me.

My EX-coworker that works 4 hours a week (transfer from another store) and is special needs with a very distinguishable voice (like a human crow), but she's like a genius but annoying as balls called the store one day looking for my store manager. I got off the phone and simply mimicked her to another EX-coworker, nothing malicious or crazy, just simply what they said. Apparently, that EX-coworker (it wasn't even their real job, just to make extra money, unlike me) was SOOOOOOOO offended by it, they didn't go to my SM or DM, but you guessed it... HR!!! I mean, I'm a VERY unintimidating looking dude other than being fairly muscular, so if they simply said they were offended, I would've promptly apologized and made every effort not to repeat behavior like that in the future.

For like 5 days, I awaited my fate, fairly sure I wouldn't be fired but you never know. I came into work on a monday night and my DM let me go. He handled it VERY professionally and my hats off to him. In a roundabout way, he told me that if him or my SM handled it and not HR, I'd still be there, but I was DONE, my time was sooooooooo over there regardless.
Unread August 28th, 2010, 09:55 PM

You forgot that we live in the United States of the Offended. Politically correct is the way it is. Sad but true.

Quote:
I got off the phone and simply mimicked her to another EX-coworker, nothing malicious or crazy, just simply what they said. Apparently, that EX-coworker (it wasn't even their real job, just to make extra money, unlike me) was SOOOOOOOO offended by it, they didn't go to my SM or DM, but you guessed it... HR!!!
The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. -Richard Dawkins from The God Delusion

SPAY AND / OR NEUTER YOUR ANIMALS: Please watch this...
Clicky