I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread October 16th, 2006, 12:16 AM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzMan View Post
A - How many of those movies in your queue are actually sent out when you want them?? Selection is nice, but if you still can't get it...... you end up going to Orbit DVD or Dingo Video or Movie Madness (my new favourite place, and I haven't even been there yet )
I use BBO on the side. Remember, as an employee, I still get 5 free in-store rentals a week to keep me busy(i typically only use a couple of them, but who's counting? ). I'm very intentionally slow with my BBO rentals. Unlike Igniteice, I do NOT have time to watch 25 movies a week. It typically takes me a full week to watch my batch of BBO rentals and that's just fine with me. I'm happy as long as I'm getting titles that I can't rent in-store.

Quote:
B - OF COURSE people only rent new movies at BBI. ANYONE willing to part with $4 for a catalogue movie needs to have their head examined. Hell, if I can't find it cheaper USED at HV, I can get it cheaper NEW at WalMart
I was refering strictly to MP customers in my post. They can rent as many as films as they like a month, yet they completely ignore all the great BSI titles and instead wipe out our copy depth on popular new releases.
Unread October 16th, 2006, 06:36 AM
IHBB GOD

Morbid, you don't seem to understand just how illogical Blockbuster Online and Netflix are from a business point of view. I'm simply delighted that you are happy as a customer, but that's not what I'm talking about at all.

I purchased the MVP program for a number of very specific reasons including
  • The titles I want to rent are available at this store.
  • I want to rent more than I could ever rent online.
  • The opportunity cost of gas is less than the benefits I am receiving from being able to rent so often.

I advise you to take an economics course if that 'opportunity cost' term went over your head like everything else.

Now let's look at this scenario from Hollywood's point of view.

Customer stays on MVP program and pays $14.99 per month to rent select 'New Releases' and library titles free of cost.
  • These movies are still due back within 5 days, so anything returned after this is extra profit.
  • The newest releases are not available for rent, so if an MVP customer wants to pick up something, they'll either need to wait a month or two, or pay. If they pay (children, party,) this is extra profit.
  • The more movies a customer sees, the more exposure the customer gets to buying movies. This goes hand in hand, but let me break it down for you...

If a customer has $25 to spend and is going to do the 3 for $25 deal, but can only find two titles he or she likes, what do you think HV wants this customer to do? Keep renting!
  • In-store exposure to things like PVTs, New Releases (Retail), Pre-Viewed products, Upcoming releases right in front of you as you're checking out, and on outside of store - this is all product placement. Now, I have't spent anymore than my $9.99, but I'm also a 21-year old single male, unemployed.
  • I have to bring a title back to check out another title.

Look at it this way, and Oz already summarized this, but I'll go at it from a different approach:

$14.99 is the cost of 3.75 'old' New Releases or 6 library/BSI titles at HV.
Anything rented has already been paid for via its rental status and pre-viewed movies. Anything rented under the MVP terms isn't an item that HV needs to keep in stock.

What is about 90% of a store's rental revenue? All New Releases. Guess what 90% of customers coming into a BB store are looking for? New Releases.

I waited a week for a copy of Meet Joe Black to come back. After I returned mine the next day, I saw they had two copies of it. Both of those copies were out for the entire week. Did I run over to the other Hollywood Video store to rent it? Uh, hell no. I just rented something else.

I've rented $200 worth of rentals for $10. But look at it this way:

+ They made $10 off me.
+ I wouldn't have spent $200.
+ I didn't spend $17.99 at Netflix or BBO.
+ It didn't cost them anything to rent those items out to me. I've had every single movie I rented back the next day so I could rent more.

Now - would I be the kind of person you should try and sell Netflix or BBO to? If you said yes, scroll back up and read over again. I was never going to spend $17.99! I was only going to spend $9.99!

Therefore, when you take me out of the picture, who do you have left? The customers renting the New Releases on a Friday night! And they are the ones spending more money in the store than they would online.

Quote:
I was refering strictly to MP customers in my post. They can rent as many as films as they like a month, yet they completely ignore all the great BSI titles and instead wipe out our copy depth on popular new releases.
This is why Hollywood Video's MVP program actually works. They too have a Movie Pass though with no due-dates attached and a $24.99 price tag for 2-movies out at a time on ANY rentals, even the newest of the new releases. Why does it work? Because this store has copy depth like you wouldn't believe. Anything Guaranteed in Stock here means they have over 300 copies of it. These GiS and some others have dollar rental credits applied if returned the next day by midnight. You can only use one $1 rental credit per transaction though, so if you rent four eligible for early return credit and return them all the next day by midnight, the next time you come in, you can only use $1 of the $4 credit. So not only did they get their movies back the next day to rent out again, but they're ensuring that you are spending money still on rentals (as opposed to using the entire $4 credit and paying 29 cents in tax.

Last edited by igniteice; October 16th, 2006 at 06:41 AM.
Unread October 16th, 2006, 11:39 AM

Didn't make the meeting, couple of questions

Was on vacation this week and didn't make the meeting, wonder if y'all could answer a few questions-

1.) Is it true that all online customers will only now get 1 coupon per month (not counting in-store drop-off free rentals) from the site?

2.) Are we really calling it Blockbuster Online Total Access?

3.) Any word on TV commercial support for this new program?

4.) When does it offiically start and will it be across the whole country?

Thanks in advance. I head into my store in 2 days, but would like to be informed when I get there.
Unread October 16th, 2006, 01:08 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoEagles View Post
Was on vacation this week and didn't make the meeting, wonder if y'all could answer a few questions-

1.) Is it true that all online customers will only now get 1 coupon per month (not counting in-store drop-off free rentals) from the site?

2.) Are we really calling it Blockbuster Online Total Access?

3.) Any word on TV commercial support for this new program?

4.) When does it offiically start and will it be across the whole country?

Thanks in advance. I head into my store in 2 days, but would like to be informed when I get there.
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) None so far
4) Next week POP goes up nest tuesday.
The top Poster!

Last edited by zooworker; October 16th, 2006 at 05:43 PM.
Unread October 16th, 2006, 04:09 PM
IHBB GOD

ok. here is my two cents.

I (me) have BBO for 2 reasons. TV shows. i have rented both seasons of greys anatomy, all 3 seasons of nip-tuck and should get my first disc of lost in the mail this week. now, those are all available to rent in my store. except here is the problem. in my store, the first disc of the first season of nip-tuck asaled, and they havent replenished me. so, i had no choice but to rent it online. ALSO, i am methodical about tv shows, i will watch 2 discs a night, and at my store, i might have in discs 1 and 2 and 4. someone has out disc 3. that does me no good. so BBO caters to my renting and watching habits. also, after lost, i have boston legal coming, then all seasons of Las Vegas. Which are not available to rent in my store. or at my sister store for that matter.

reason 2: I rent BSI that i don't have in my store. or new releases that we never got because of our stores demographics. (ie, we only got one copy of something new)

I use my 5 free a week on pre-streets or movies for my daughter. thats it.

So, BBO works for me. But, as Ice said, its not for everyone. So thats why we have our faithful MP customers and Rewards customers.

As far as hollywood's MVP goes, sure its ten bucks, but you cant rent NRs and you still have due dates. So, it goes the same way, that might work for people, such as Ice, but that wouldnt work for me.
Unread October 16th, 2006, 06:31 PM
IHBB Freak

Total Access is launching on Monday the 23rd- they bumped it up a day because they figured the media would get word of it pretty soon and start creating tons of confusion so they wanted to get it out there earlier.
Unread October 16th, 2006, 07:18 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by whorehoppin View Post
they bumped it up a day because they figured the media would get word of it pretty soon and start creating tons of confusion
The "media" would start creating confusion??...lol
Unread October 16th, 2006, 08:54 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by whorehoppin View Post
Total Access is launching on Monday the 23rd- they bumped it up a day because they figured the media would get word of it pretty soon and start creating tons of confusion so they wanted to get it out there earlier.
And then they sent another email today telling us not to mention it to customers until the official launch, so they can get word of it through their email. WTF? I was telling customers all day. I just know there's going to be some kind of ridiculous redemption goal next week, and I want my store to be ahead of the curve for once.
Unread October 16th, 2006, 08:59 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propoxy View Post
And then they sent another email today telling us not to mention it to customers until the official launch, so they can get word of it through their email. WTF? I was telling customers all day. I just know there's going to be some kind of ridiculous redemption goal next week, and I want my store to be ahead of the curve for once.
Oh, hell, we will have another goal to set. And don't forget mystery shops, they will probably change it to this new program.
Question A: Have your heard of the new Total Access Program?
Question B: Let me tell you how BBI is going to go bankrupt.
The top Poster!
Unread October 16th, 2006, 09:45 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooworker View Post
Oh, hell, we will have another goal to set. And don't forget mystery shops, they will probably change it to this new program.
Question A: Have your heard of the new Total Access Program?
Question B: Let me tell you how BBI is going to go bankrupt.
Argh! Don't even talk to me about mystery shops.

I swear to god, our shop could look like this and no one would care:
1. Was exterior of store clean? No, trash was piled three feet high and a hobo encampment was set up in the handicapped parking stalls. 0/10
2. Was the interior of store clean? No, floor was littered with empty beer cans and the confection area is infested with roaches and an oppossum family. 0/10
3. Did an employee greet you? No, the employees were sitting on the counters, playing strip poker. 0/10

...and so on, as long as it ALSO looked like this:
10A. Did an employee offer you a free trial of Blockbuster Online? Yes. 10/10
10B. Did an employee attempt to educate you about Blockbuster Online? Yes. 10/10

(Or whatever order they're in on the shop.)

Seriously, people have been fired for nailing everything else but missing 10A & B. Does anything else matter anymore?