I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread July 20th, 2010, 08:33 PM

Yes or no? charge your card for late fees

So i haven't seen anything about this on here yet, maybe we're a test store? The paper does say beta test...

We got an update the other day about a new thing the credit card machines are doing. When someone uses a credit/debit card to pay for rentals, it will now ask them if they would like to 'secure the transaction' meaning that, IF said movies/games were brought back late, the card they used right then (not the one on file) will be charged for the late balance. They have the option to select yes or no, and it is good only for that transaction.

Most customers just blindly click through the little pop ups anyway, so many people have hit 'yes' before i could warn them and then been upset.

Anybody else's store doing this? I'm adding it to the 'rediculous ideas that the thinker-uper should be shot for' list.
Unread July 20th, 2010, 08:36 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphabalives View Post
So i haven't seen anything about this on here yet, maybe we're a test store? The paper does say beta test...

We got an update the other day about a new thing the credit card machines are doing. When someone uses a credit/debit card to pay for rentals, it will now ask them if they would like to 'secure the transaction' meaning that, IF said movies/games were brought back late, the card they used right then (not the one on file) will be charged for the late balance. They have the option to select yes or no, and it is good only for that transaction.

Most customers just blindly click through the little pop ups anyway, so many people have hit 'yes' before i could warn them and then been upset.

Anybody else's store doing this? I'm adding it to the 'rediculous ideas that the thinker-uper should be shot for' list.
That's not good,(this is really gonna piss off customers) I already removed my CC from my acct, don't like them charging me unless I know about it.
The top Poster!
Unread July 20th, 2010, 08:46 PM
IHBB Freak

doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. is it specifically stated on the credit card machine that its asking to secure "this transaction" only? is it hosting the card on the account through the swipe or is the card info being stored somehow else?

asking to secure accounts with cards is never fun. its not the worst thing in the world, i do it with games all the time.

people like to hold their movies an extra day, and people don't like seeing that extra dollar next time they come in. this is a solution to this scenario is it not?
Unread July 20th, 2010, 08:51 PM
IHBB GOD

Problem is most customers don't even think twice about what button they are pushing. They just want to pay and go. And when they come back bitching about an over draft what proof are you gonna have they did this. sounds like a nightmare to me.
The top Poster!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zooworker For This Useful Post:
AfricahereIcome (July 21st, 2010), HelloItsMeMOM (July 22nd, 2010)
Unread July 20th, 2010, 09:24 PM

At every store those credit card machines are always different. I know sometimes I think the machine is asking "Amount: $xx.xx Yes/No?" and instead it is asking if I want cash back... and I go so fast I mess up. The whole point of those machines is to make transactions fast and efficient, throwing in extra steps always seems counter-productive to me. Granted, it is completely my fault if I'm not taking the time to read what I am agreeing to on the screen! :P
Unread July 20th, 2010, 09:27 PM
IHBB Freak

I think that should be something prompted on the computer screen when checking out, so that the associate can explain things properly.

I honestly don't approve of it. Just room to create more problems.

That's the "idiot tax". It's our fee for having to put up with your stupid questions.
And for everything else... there's Mastercard.
The Following User Says Thank You to redfay For This Useful Post:
zooworker (July 20th, 2010)
Unread July 20th, 2010, 09:30 PM

All I can say is: I feel bad for your credit budget, it's going to buried in ADR Reversals.
Unread July 20th, 2010, 10:22 PM

Is that the wording? "Would you like to secure this transaction: Yes/No"

If so, why would anyone hit No unless they knew what it meant? "OMFG I DONT WANT MY CREDIT CARD UNSECURED"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to empbal For This Useful Post:
AfricahereIcome (July 21st, 2010), getoffmybeach (August 21st, 2010)
Unread July 20th, 2010, 10:30 PM

Really? This is their new thing, god help them
Unread July 20th, 2010, 10:35 PM

I remember the first day they started charging late fees to the cards on people's accounts, we collected over a grand in late fees--in one freaking day.