I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread September 11th, 2010, 02:16 PM

Kiosks are next

. .
Will DVD kiosks begin slow fade in 2012?

– Fri Sep 10, 4:18 pm ET
DVD rental kiosks from Redbox and Blockbuster seem to be popping up on every corner these days, but home-video market analysts are predicting that demand for the ultra-convenient kiosks could soon start cooling off as video streaming and video-on-demand gain in popularity.

Mind you, analysts at J.P. Morgan aren’t sounding the death knell for DVD kiosks just yet, according to KioskMarketplace.com (via Home Media Magazine). Indeed, another analyst quoted in the KioskMarketplace story thinks it will take "several years" for J.P. Morgan’s "gloomy" scenario to play out.

But the authors of the Morgan report do believe that the DVD kiosk business will peak in 2011 as competitors like Netflix, Apple, Amazon, and your friendly neighborhood cable carrier begin offering more and more streaming and video-on-demand options.

As video on demand begins to rise, so must DVD kiosks begin to fall, say the analysts, who warn that home-video kiosk companies like Redbox better have a plan B up their sleeves before the market for DVDs-from-a-kiosk starts its slow, perhaps inevitable fade.

While the struggling Blockbuster already has a plan B — Blockbuster OnDemand, although it’s not entirely clear whether there will still be a Blockbuster come 2012 — the wildly popular Redbox still doesn’t have a streaming-video service ... or not yet, anyway.

Redbox execs have been mulling their on-demand options for months now, and it could have something to launch before the year is out, according to the latest chatter — indeed, one possibility is that it may partner up with Sonic Solutions, which already powers Blockbuster OnDemand.

Keep in mind, though, that the J.P. Morgan report is aimed at investors looking at the long-term strategies of Redbox and Blockbuster. For the average couch potato — and no offense, by the way, given that I’m one of them — physical DVDs and Blu-rays, as well as DVD rental kiosks, will be around for years to come.

After all, DVD (and even Blu-ray) rentals are still more affordable and convenient (no need for a broadband connection or a pricey cable subscription, DVD decks are dirt cheap, while kiosks abound in neighborhood grocery and drug stores), the selection of titles is unbeatable (the disc library at Netflix HQ, for example, still dwarfs that of its streaming database), and for my money, DVD and Blu-ray video quality beats on-demand (especially Netflix’s "Watch Instantly titles, and particularly the iffy, sometimes poorly framed SD ones) practically every time. (On the flip side, have you seen "Avatar" on Blu-ray yet? If not, I urge you to check it out — even in 2D, it’s truly something to see.)

That said, as broadband gets faster and more dependable, streaming rental prices fall, and movie studios get more enthusiastic about on-demand in the face of dwindling DVD revenue, physical DVDs and Blu-rays (along with the kiosks that rent them) seem bound (or doomed, depending on how you look at it) to go the way of the CD — still around, but fading in the shadow of their online counterparts.

So, what do you think: Will streaming video eventually overtake the growth of DVD rental kiosks like Redbox? Or are the Wall Street analysts being a little too quick to sound the alarm?

KioskMarketplace.com: Coinstar’s redbox could soon face day of reckoning: Analyst [via Home Media Magazine]
Unread September 11th, 2010, 06:11 PM
IHBB GOD

no. there are people who can't afford broadband/choose not to pay for it and they still manage to make their way to rental outlets.

there are millions of college students with congested wireless services that makes streaming that much more difficult.

there are many families who don't even have cable!

=3
The Following User Says Thank You to BUYMECAR For This Useful Post:
Flantanella (September 11th, 2010)
Unread September 11th, 2010, 10:15 PM

have to agree, cause some people are still are on AOL
Unread September 12th, 2010, 02:11 AM

Ok this is a complicated but good question!! Because the future is sometimes really hard to predict.

Yes 56k will be around for years to come as its for people that 1. want cheep internet 2. don't really use the internet much so they don't mind slow connections 3. high speed is not in their area and they can't afford expensive satellite internet. 56k and streaming you can't even put that in the same sentence.

Ok for the people that don't live on a farm and can afford high speed streaming is going to be big business.

-Net neutrality
The ending of net neutrality...... why did I bring this up why is it sooo important?
Right now if you have the internet you have access to just about any site around the world. You can download or torrent movies, music, games, just about whatever you want. With sites like justintv and such you can stream a lot of different things to your computer. There is a plan to end net neutrality and this plan is coming together very quickly.

Once net neutrality ends?
We will have access to a limited amount of web sites and web sites containing illegal content (sites like this forum) are going to be shut down. Once this happens its like a ticking time bomb there will be mass increases in people paying for streaming technology because there will be no choice on getting your movies for free anymore. Movie stores are going to be few and the rebox are not going to be on every corner but there will be a few for years to come.

Last edited by djsdojo; September 12th, 2010 at 02:18 AM.
Unread September 12th, 2010, 03:54 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUYMECAR View Post
no. there are people who can't afford broadband/choose not to pay for it and they still manage to make their way to rental outlets.

there are millions of college students with congested wireless services that makes streaming that much more difficult.

there are many families who don't even have cable!
Not to mention internet or them having 56kb
Unread September 12th, 2010, 04:29 PM

Broadband is likely to get cheaper and more widespread in the coming years. These kiosks are only bridging the gap between stores and digital delivery for a short period of time. There's no way the kiosks will last as long as the rental store lasted.
Unread September 12th, 2010, 06:06 PM
IHBB Freak

Well, lucky for Blockbuster. They only make .4% a transaction, so it won't hurt them that much.
Unread September 14th, 2010, 03:58 PM
IHBB GOD

Fuck kiosks

End of fucking story

Even the Devil, which is the main share holder of blockbuster is saying you guys are making me look bad!

Horse Power is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Unread September 14th, 2010, 04:29 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Head View Post
Fuck kiosks
I did, and it charged me an ADR.
Unread September 14th, 2010, 04:33 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veruka_Salt View Post
I did, and it charged me an ADR.
Additionally,

FUCK ADR'S

Even the Devil, which is the main share holder of blockbuster is saying you guys are making me look bad!

Horse Power is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.