I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > I Hate Blockbuster > News

Unread April 13th, 2009, 05:38 PM
IHBB Freak

Netflix expanding console streaming to 'variety of platforms'??

Netflix expanding console streaming to 'variety of platforms'

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6207838...s&subj=6207838

Xbox 360-streaming film-rental giant looking for "Engineering Leader--Gaming Platforms" to "rapidly" expand services to multiple consoles.

Since it went online as part of last November's New Xbox Experience, Netflix's Xbox 360 video-streaming service has seen more than 1 million people sign up. That number is made even more impressive by the fact the Los Gatos, California-based company--best known for its mail-based DVD rental and PC streaming service--has only 10 million subscribers in total.

Coming soon to a(nother) console near you?

Now, it appears that Netflix is looking to expand its presence in the gaming space even further. According to a job listing on its Web site, Netflix is looking to hire an "Engineering Leader--Gaming Platforms" to direct "a small technology team to rapidly prototype and iterate on a variety of platforms." (Emphasis added.)

Though it never names a console in particular, the listing repeatedly emphasizes that Netflix wants to work on multiple gaming devices. "The gaming platforms team is...tasked with bringing the latest generation of movie discovery and delivery technology to the gaming console platforms our growing subscribers use every day," reads the job description.

Though Netflix reps did not immediately return requests for clarification as to which platforms it is working on, its listing underlines that the company wants applicants with "experience with digital media on embedded platforms...ideally on one or more gaming consoles."

The most obvious suspect for Netflix's next video-streaming endeavor is the PlayStation 3, which already digitally distributes movies and television shows for rental and purchase. The Wii is also a faint possibility, considering that Nintendo will launch a video service for the popular console in Japan later this year. That said, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata declared last week that any Wii video service would be "different" than those of its competitors.
Unread April 13th, 2009, 09:08 PM
IHBB Freak

Was only a matter of time. I kinda figured by summer they'd have it rolling out.

That's the "idiot tax". It's our fee for having to put up with your stupid questions.
And for everything else... there's Mastercard.
Unread April 14th, 2009, 12:05 AM
IHBB GOD

yeah, same here. this is what i was really waiting for. if they don't start it on the PS3 (and don't improve the audio quality on streams), i'm just going to get rid of my subscription. it's hardly worth it.
Unread April 15th, 2009, 08:21 AM
IHBB Freak

BB better start spending the money. They're behind on the competition.

That's the "idiot tax". It's our fee for having to put up with your stupid questions.
Unread April 15th, 2009, 08:13 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfay View Post
BB better start spending the money. They're behind on the competition.

What money? They are in serious debt... and the readjustment of the maturing loan to 2010 will only add more interest charge on the debt they already owe.
Unread April 17th, 2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutztomerControl View Post
Netflix expanding console streaming to 'variety of platforms'

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6207838...s&subj=6207838

Xbox 360-streaming film-rental giant looking for "Engineering Leader--Gaming Platforms" to "rapidly" expand services to multiple consoles.

Since it went online as part of last November's New Xbox Experience, Netflix's Xbox 360 video-streaming service has seen more than 1 million people sign up. That number is made even more impressive by the fact the Los Gatos, California-based company--best known for its mail-based DVD rental and PC streaming service--has only 10 million subscribers in total.

Coming soon to a(nother) console near you?

Now, it appears that Netflix is looking to expand its presence in the gaming space even further. According to a job listing on its Web site, Netflix is looking to hire an "Engineering Leader--Gaming Platforms" to direct "a small technology team to rapidly prototype and iterate on a variety of platforms." (Emphasis added.)

Though it never names a console in particular, the listing repeatedly emphasizes that Netflix wants to work on multiple gaming devices. "The gaming platforms team is...tasked with bringing the latest generation of movie discovery and delivery technology to the gaming console platforms our growing subscribers use every day," reads the job description.

Though Netflix reps did not immediately return requests for clarification as to which platforms it is working on, its listing underlines that the company wants applicants with "experience with digital media on embedded platforms...ideally on one or more gaming consoles."

The most obvious suspect for Netflix's next video-streaming endeavor is the PlayStation 3, which already digitally distributes movies and television shows for rental and purchase. The Wii is also a faint possibility, considering that Nintendo will launch a video service for the popular console in Japan later this year. That said, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata declared last week that any Wii video service would be "different" than those of its competitors.
I am also waiting on the expansion. I hope that they expand to PS 3. Has anyone heard of any updates ?
Unread April 20th, 2009, 10:49 AM
IHBB Freak

Yeah... they're expanding to video-streaming games.