I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread August 31st, 2010, 07:01 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by almondSM View Post
ive been asked to be a MSM...haven't accepted or denied it yet. A few grand more SOUNDS better, but i don't know that i could do it given that i know how much they are saving not having a full time store manager in the other store.
SAY NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't stress it enough! its not worth it! responsible for 2 stores sales, inventories, call ins, hiring, corrective actions, schedules. no. not in this blockbuster. 3-4 years ago..maybe. but not now. i have done it. i did it for 5 months thru the 4th quarter. i didn't sleep for a month. and i was a good store manager. if you value your free time, say no.
Unread August 31st, 2010, 09:19 PM
IHBB GOD

I agree with Sar, it's just another way for BBI to save money but not your sanity. Orginally they were supose to have in place strong ASM's (with a raise for them) to help in this, but we all know what happened to us.
The top Poster!
The Following User Says Thank You to zooworker For This Useful Post:
itirnitii (September 1st, 2010)
Unread August 31st, 2010, 11:08 PM

I can't agree enough with everyone posting on here, I really believe that putting a Store Manager in two stores without adequate pay is like putting a band-aid on missing limb. It does not stop the blood pouring out of the open wound, and the band-aid SM is going be washed away either by choice or default.

Either way you have a bloody mess.
Unread August 31st, 2010, 11:14 PM
IHBB GOD

apart from the pay issue, the "other" store is usually an under-performing store as well.

so it's a lot worse than "hey, i can theoretically clone myself".

=3
Unread August 31st, 2010, 11:15 PM
IHBB Freak

What absolutely pisses me off about MSM is the fact that the SM gets a crap add to their salary, but the ASM who will pick up the SM's slack and a good deal of the work...they just get a pat on the back. I saw an MSM where the SM was only really in their main store most of the time.

My SM was asked to do MSM and I think it will only be a success as long as the SM has two good staffs, and an ASM whos going to be willing to do what needs to get done. One store will suffer, that's for sure though
Unread September 6th, 2010, 01:01 AM

Throwing in my two cents here. I know I'm a little late on the topic, but why not...

During my stay at my third location, we had a Multiple Store Manager. Our store was his 2nd store as the first store he managed he had been at for several years. His main store was also a training store, so you can guess just how much he showed up at our store.

As I've found out here, he probably didn't recieve very much of a bonus for "managing" two stores, but I can tell you with absolute confidence that whatever he got was a bonus for sitting at his 1st store and doing nothing. It had to be the easiest money he's ever made since the two Shift Leaders (myself and another guy) pretty much ran the store. The only thing he did was make the schedule. And it never came on time; always Saturday night if we were lucky; sometimes not even made until Monday. I'd get the response of "well the schedule isn't done yet, but I know you'll be closing tomorrow" on Sunday night when I'd call about the schedule.

Anyways, my point is that whatever these MSMs are getting as a bonus (while far less than it'd be to hire a new full-time SM) is probably easy money 9 times out of 10.
Unread September 6th, 2010, 01:10 AM
IHBB Freak

i agree brown if they have the right staffs in place, but imagine having to take a 2nd store that needed to be rebuilt.
I learned that dreams don’t work without action; I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.
Unread September 6th, 2010, 01:46 AM

Oh our store needed plenty. Hell, the ASM (or is it SAM now...can never remember) jumped his Army enlistment 2 months early and left us with just two Shift Leaders and the invisible MSM-SM to run the place. We had to borrow an Assistant Manager after a month because it was either me or the other SL on AT ALL TIMES. The MSM worked MAYBE one shift at our store every three weeks...MAYBE.

I would imagine that if a store truely needed a complete rebuild/restaff/whatever, any seasoned SM would decline the measly few grand (even though its probably about 1/3 of my annual salary) "bonus."
Unread September 6th, 2010, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooworker View Post
I agree with Sar, it's just another way for BBI to save money but not your sanity. Orginally they were supose to have in place strong ASM's (with a raise for them) to help in this, but we all know what happened to us.
ASM's and potential ASM's were hunted down when Keyes executed order 66
Unread September 6th, 2010, 05:37 AM
IHBB GOD

browncoat, that sounds like an issue with upper management, specifically DMs and who they hire.

my SM worked her ass off covering shifts at both stores, getting schedules done on time and bringing the other store out of the hole they were in.

the only quirks she got out of doing it for 8 months was borrowing employees between stores, the sharing of resources and the respect she apparently got from the DM and RDO for doing it.

=3