I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread April 28th, 2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbandonedDreams View Post
How long before you post something that's actually useful/helpful/funny/worth reading?
If you're expecting this mental midget to post anything that fits into any of the categories you mentioned, you're going to be waiting awhile...might want to make sure your AARP paperwork is in order...
Unread April 28th, 2011, 07:12 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy piven View Post
maybe we can trade him for someone elses 1st round, pickles, and cash considerations.
There, I fixed it for ya.
Unread April 28th, 2011, 07:15 PM
IHBB GOD

I think you overbid.....
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yodavsjason For This Useful Post:
abhorrent scowl (April 29th, 2011), Hot Head (April 29th, 2011)
Unread April 28th, 2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitdvd View Post
I really don't blame Keyes for a lot of this mess, but he didn't help.

The big question that doesn't seem to be answered is who is going to run the company. If they keep a lot of same people, that will not bode well. Actually, it will bode well for me.
I don't place the entire blame on Keyes either. From the many things I heard, he actually had some very good ideas but Blockbuster either didn't have the funds or the technology to impliment them.

Your big question I can provide an answer to. Michael Kelly. The following was taken from Dish's website.

Michael Kelly
Executive Vice President, Commercial & Business Services

Michael Kelly serves the Executive Vice President of Commercial & Business Services at DISH Network, focusing on generating and increasing new lines of revenue within the fixed satellite service business. His responsibilities include the oversight of business television and DISH Network Business Solutions as well as Direct and Commercial sales, advertising sales, interactive applications and satellite-based Internet Protocol (IP) technologies. In 1991, Kelly founded Kelly Broadcasting Systems (KBS), a leader in distributing international radio and television programming in the United States. KBS was acquired by DISH Network in 2000. Prior to KBS, Kelly served as executive vice president of Hamilton Communications Consultants, Inc., a professional consulting firm that specialized in the design and construction of broadcast and telecommunications systems in the United States. Hamilton Communications was later acquired by Kelly. Kelly was also a DISH Network programmer and retailer for many years.
The Following User Says Thank You to BBStoreMgr112233 For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (April 28th, 2011)
Unread April 28th, 2011, 07:48 PM

DISH buying Blockbuster is going to make brick and mortar video rentals viable once again. Driving to and from the store (twice!) on your $75 tank of gas, the uncertainty of whether the movie you want will be in stock, the $5 you could have spend for over half a month of streaming or 5 kiosk rentals. It will be magical.
The Following User Says Thank You to Backer Card For This Useful Post:
Glass Half Empty (April 30th, 2011)
Unread April 28th, 2011, 07:53 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBStoreMgr112233 View Post
I don't place the entire blame on Keyes either. From the many things I heard, he actually had some very good ideas but Blockbuster either didn't have the funds or the technology to impliment them.

Your big question I can provide an answer to. Michael Kelly. The following was taken from Dish's website.

Michael Kelly
Executive Vice President, Commercial & Business Services

Michael Kelly serves the Executive Vice President of Commercial & Business Services at DISH Network, focusing on generating and increasing new lines of revenue within the fixed satellite service business. His responsibilities include the oversight of business television and DISH Network Business Solutions as well as Direct and Commercial sales, advertising sales, interactive applications and satellite-based Internet Protocol (IP) technologies. In 1991, Kelly founded Kelly Broadcasting Systems (KBS), a leader in distributing international radio and television programming in the United States. KBS was acquired by DISH Network in 2000. Prior to KBS, Kelly served as executive vice president of Hamilton Communications Consultants, Inc., a professional consulting firm that specialized in the design and construction of broadcast and telecommunications systems in the United States. Hamilton Communications was later acquired by Kelly. Kelly was also a DISH Network programmer and retailer for many years.
Retail experience?
Unread April 28th, 2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitdvd View Post
Retail experience?
Today's call was the only contact I've had with him. He didn't give that much info about himself on the call.

My impression so far is that he will oversee everything but heavily rely on the input from the various departments and department heads remaining from corporate. I believe his main focus, and that of Dish's, is to restore what they refer to as an "iconic" brand through cross marketing and promotions.

My first impression of him was good. He admits he still has a lot to learn about our business and that is why I think he'll rely on the department heads for input.

And just to clarify some other posts I have seen..... Blockbuster is only affiliated with Dish, not a part of the Dish company. They have created a seperate LLC for the Blockbuster company in the same way they have with EchoStar. This appears to be the way the like to do things as I believe there are a couple other aspects of their business that is seperate also.

It was made clear to us today on the call that we are Blockbuster employees, not Dish employees, although they will combine much of the HR/Benefits with one another to leverage better rates in the same way they will use both companies to leverage negotiations with studios.

Lastly, being Blockbuster will be a seperate LLC and atleast for now not a publicly traded company (as far as I know), I don't believe they are required to publicly release any financial information so I doubt you will publicly know anything about the success or failure of this deal anytime in the near future.
The Following User Says Thank You to BBStoreMgr112233 For This Useful Post:
Veruka_Salt (April 29th, 2011)
Unread April 28th, 2011, 10:06 PM
IHBB Freak

My only fervent hope and prayer is that the department heads he's learning from are not the current crop of DMs and RDOs they still have. Otherwise, it's only a matter of time before history repeats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbydanny
If I want the experience of being in the store, let me have it on my own fucking terms.
The Following User Says Thank You to deathbydanny For This Useful Post:
easy1234 (April 29th, 2011)
Unread April 29th, 2011, 05:03 AM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme83yo View Post
I wondered if it was because of his contract. He gets fired, he gets what - triple his salary? Why not keep him, let that contract fall out (if possible), and then get rid of him.
His last contract stated that if he were fired without cause, he would receive double his salary.

Because "triple" would just be ridiculous, right?
Unread April 29th, 2011, 06:14 AM

I like how DISH thinks Consumers will go back to Blockbuster. Yeah, because paying $5 for a rental that you have to spend $ on gas to drive out, hope it's instock, wait in line (if there even is one) and deal with a snotty 19 year old. Oh joy...

Once DISH see's that only 5-8 people come in a day, they'll quickly try and sell off this shithole.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CheeseMan For This Useful Post:
Backer Card (April 30th, 2011), Hot Head (April 29th, 2011)