I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread March 29th, 2011, 04:59 AM

About 3 weeks into my new job......

at the gas station and, for the most part, I really like it I still work for BBV maybe 1 day a week.

Pros
There are sales but just not as "pushy" as BBV.
My store manger is pretty cool so is everyone else.
Full time hours, no more jumping 30 hours this week 20 hours next week.
For the most part the job is pretty easy
Customers are in and out pretty quickly no more time consuming questions about movies and people don't have late fees and auto sales in gas stations not too many arguments happen.

Cons
My biggest complaint is Checking ID laws- I wish it was a state law to check ID on everyone no matter what because I don't like playing the guessing game of "do they look over 27?". But I guess the government needs there sting operations for selling these products to minors its an conspiracy I tell you!!
Graveyard shift- My store does not have a window unit this means our door stays open all the time. If we had the window unit I would would be begging for the graveyard shift but yea graveyard is a scary shift when your all alone with a door that is wide open. Next county over from me has a law that after 10pm if there is only one employee doors must be locked forcing stores that want to remain open to have a window unit. I heard there is plans to put one in my store I can't wait because I'm a night owl and working all alone is awesome no one to be breathing down your back telling you what to do.
The store is old and nasty but when they rebuild the counters to make way for a window unit and more floorspace that will help that problem.
The store can get busy real quick but I'm still learning the register system once I get the hang of it I can start moving the line more quickly.
We really don't have "breaks" I was just told not to chew food in front of customers. Witch is great because I get paid for a full 8 hour day.

Last edited by djsdojo; March 29th, 2011 at 05:09 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to djsdojo For This Useful Post:
charlied72 (March 29th, 2011), HelloItsMeMOM (March 29th, 2011), johnlow71 (March 29th, 2011), wheresmikey (April 1st, 2011)
Unread March 29th, 2011, 06:24 AM
IHBB GOD

Send a message via AIM to AbandonedDreams
I used to work in a Sheetz (gas station/convenience store) and I hated checking IDs. People would tell me "you didn't card me last time I was here!" And I was 16 and terrible at remembering faces, so I'd make them go get it. They'd all wind up being like 25-30 and pissed at me. I guess the first time when I didn't card them they were having a bad hair day or not wearing make up and looked older.

I'm 24, but everyone says I look younger so I'm not surprised I get carded all the time. I don't get pissed at the people even if they didn't card me the time before. This one place I go only asks "are you over 18?" And no one ever believes I'm 24 so I wind up showing them my ID anyway.
Unread March 29th, 2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbandonedDreams View Post
I used to work in a Sheetz (gas station/convenience store) and I hated checking IDs. People would tell me "you didn't card me last time I was here!" And I was 16 and terrible at remembering faces, so I'd make them go get it. They'd all wind up being like 25-30 and pissed at me. I guess the first time when I didn't card them they were having a bad hair day or not wearing make up and looked older.
The possibility of loosing your job, getting fined, getting caught in a "sting operation", or worst of all going to jail is too high with this job that is why I would just like the law to require ID if you want to buy tobacco or alcohol. That would just for the most part protect me and my job it would also allow me to say "the register wont allow me to ring it up without ID sorry its the law".
Unread March 29th, 2011, 07:05 AM

I also ended up in an environment that has to card, though not a gas station but we sell smokes and cough medicine. I'm 39 years old and if you've got a problem with me carding you, whether you're 17 or 57, I suggest you either not buy something that could get my ass thrown in jail with a hefty fine or wait until someone else can ring you up.

I don't care how old someone looks, unless they walk up to me and they are obviously over 40 (my own personal threshold) I card. Your ability to purchase something that will slowly kill you and those around you (I used to smoke so I know how it is) is not worth my time behind bars and money to feed my kid. People get to know pretty fast that they need to have ID if I'm on register, I didn't get the nickname of 'The Enforcer' while at blockbuster for nothing.

I'm also a card holding member of the 'if you're in a group and dumb enough to ask for this shit at the register with your friends in tow, you're ALL getting carded' club. One doesn't have ID, nobody buys. Period. And no amount of going outside and coming back in is going to change that. One of my coworkers wants to take on that risk and ring you up, they can go ahead and take that risk.

The nice thing is if it's a sting operation, they're rarely that tenacious and usually just go away after the first time you say no. My favorite response though to the situation is 'well you're just a fucking cashier, you're nobody.' 'I may be nobody but this nobody's keeping you from buying today, isn't she?'

Last edited by psycoma; March 29th, 2011 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Apparently I can't spell...
Unread March 29th, 2011, 07:42 AM
IHBB GOD

Send a message via AIM to AbandonedDreams
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsdojo View Post
The possibility of loosing your job, getting fined, getting caught in a "sting operation", or worst of all going to jail is too high with this job that is why I would just like the law to require ID if you want to buy tobacco or alcohol. That would just for the most part protect me and my job it would also allow me to say "the register wont allow me to ring it up without ID sorry its the law".

I think Wal Mart's registers do this, they always type something while looking at my ID. Sheetz had very obvious cameras, so when people whined about it we said see that camera? If I sell to you and don't card, are you going to pay the fine and go to jail for me?? They usually shut up.

We also had secret shoppers who looked underage who would come in to try to buy. If you carded, you passed. If you didn't, you got fired. Only happened to me once and I passed.
Unread March 29th, 2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbandonedDreams View Post
I think Wal Mart's registers do this, they always type something while looking at my ID. Sheetz had very obvious cameras, so when people whined about it we said see that camera? If I sell to you and don't card, are you going to pay the fine and go to jail for me?? They usually shut up.

We also had secret shoppers who looked underage who would come in to try to buy. If you carded, you passed. If you didn't, you got fired. Only happened to me once and I passed.
The registers where I work require you to type in a DOB on restricted sales. If the person is very obviously old enough, I just type in my own DOB (got clearance from the new hire orientation guy to do that). Alot of people especially women, get offended if you ask them to say their DOB out loud.

Then again, if somebody's being a douchebag, nice goes out the window and I either card just for the hell of it or ask them their DOB and make sure I say it back really loudly like I had trouble hearing them. 'I have to type in a birth date, might as well be yours instead of mine, hahaha'
Unread March 29th, 2011, 08:26 AM
IHBB GOD

How much money does the company make off cigzs?
Unread March 29th, 2011, 09:11 AM
IHBB GOD

in my town super target has a id scan thing, so its not a big deal. i very much like it. its a win win. unless someone doesnt have there id, but there in lies the asshole.

so cool they just take my id scan it and on my wa......................y
Unread March 29th, 2011, 09:35 AM
IHBB GOD

What happened to age is just a number???? jk

On a real note. I find it weird that people that usually smoke have coping short comings. Also, people that smoke are subconsciously trying to destroy themselves for their inadequacies .

Even the Devil, which is the main share holder of blockbuster is saying you guys are making me look bad!

Horse Power is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Unread March 29th, 2011, 09:53 AM
IHBB GOD

funny thing for me almost every job change was for the better the "grass was greener on the other side". althou 1 time it wasnt for the most part for me i stay with companies a longtime so i guess i welcome the fresh change.