I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread April 18th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Kh8286

Last edited by Kh8286; April 30th, 2008 at 08:15 AM.
Unread April 18th, 2008, 09:44 PM
IHBB GOD

Your famous now
The top Poster!
Unread April 18th, 2008, 09:52 PM
IHBB GOD

Had this once:

Customer walks up to counter with two movies.
Me: Hello.
Customer: Hello. I'd like to rent these.
Me: All right. Find everything ok?
Customer: Yes.
Me: Do you have your membership card or state ID?
Customer: I do.

Customer hands me card. I scan it and give it back.
Then I scan movies and remove locks.

Me: Ok that comes to $7.94.
Customer: Here you go.

Customer hands me a twenty. I give proper change.

Me: All right these are due back here on Thursday before noon. Thanks!
Customer: Thanks, see ya.

I mean, my God!
Unread April 18th, 2008, 11:53 PM

This happened recently:

Customer comes in, reaches into her handbag and hands me two disks, no boxes just two disks in the plastic masterbags we use with the barcodes on.

Cust: I'd like to return these please.

Me: Um...didn't they have boxes?

Cust: (Chuckles) Oh yes they did, I forgot those! I've been on holiday you see.

Me: Ha Ha ok (try to hand back the disk) well if I give you these back then if you could drop them in once you have the boxes please.

Cust: (not even attempting to take disks) Can't you just put them through now please, they are late so I need to pay the fine.

Me: I can't return them without the boxes I'm afraid.

Cust: Well I will drop the boxes off tomorrow.

Me: (Still trying to give back the disks) Ok thats fine but it's best if you keep hold of these so we know whose they are when you return tomorrow.

Cust: But why can't I return these now and pay the fine and drop the boxes off tomorrow?

Me: Well we can't return the disks without the boxes as they would be no good to us, no one would know we had them to rent.

Cust: Oh nonsense, I asked you for this one so I didn't need a box to get me to rent it! And besides, no one is going to rent them tonight!

(It's a friday afternoon, it's raining, its the school holidays, she has two childrens films )

Me: Well I'm afraid I really can't return them until the boxes are here.

Cust: Does that mean I will have to pay another day? They are already late.

Me: I'm afraid it will do, but these are older films so the charge is only 40p per day each.

Cust: Look just let me return the films and I will pay the fine and drop the boxes off in the morning, what time do you open?

Me: 11 am

Cust: See you won't be here when I come past so I can't return them in the morning as I won't be able to pay!

Me: You don't have to pay for them straight away, just drop them off and pay next time you are in.

Cust: Oh thats so inconvenient, how much is this going to cost me?

Me: (Working it out) If you return them tomorrow it will be £4.

Cust: Thats ridiculous, 40p a night for five nights does not come to £4!

Me: No, but there are two of them.

Cust: Well why don't I pay for them now and I will return the boxes in the morning when you are still closed.

Me: (Wanting to bang my head against a wall). I'm really sorry but I cannot return these films until you return both the disks and the boxes together, then they computer will automatically generate the late fees.

Cust: Oh fine (snatches disks out of my hand and storms off).

Another customer in the store gives me a look that says (wtf?)

Me: Was I being unreasonable?

Cust2: No, sometimes people need to hear things 2 or 3 times, or 8 in her case.

We laugh about it, I help him choose a film, as I check his film out he says

Cust2: Now do I have to return this? I suppose you want the box as well? But you won't charge me if its late will you?

At least we got to have a laugh about it, it just boggles the mind that someone could haggle over what was clearly there fault and would cost them a mere 80p extra, most people would appreciate that only returning part of something you rented does not count as returning it!

This conversation actually went back and forth a lot more then I have written here, but it's already bloody long enough!
Unread April 19th, 2008, 08:13 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Me: Was I being unreasonable?
Well, over here, it's no big deal to print out a generic case and all that. Obviously we don't know who's returning it without the barcode, but if she came in and handed it to you, you just ask for her name, and then check 'em in and throw them in the manager to-do pile, where they'll likely sit until she returns the cases anyway. Oh well.
It drops the movie in the bin or else it gets the fee again.
PUT THE FUCKING MOVIE IN THE FUCKING BASKET.
Unread April 19th, 2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesys View Post
Well, over here, it's no big deal to print out a generic case and all that. Obviously we don't know who's returning it without the barcode, but if she came in and handed it to you, you just ask for her name, and then check 'em in and throw them in the manager to-do pile, where they'll likely sit until she returns the cases anyway. Oh well.
Sorry I should have explained, our dvd's go out in the original cover, not a generic blockbuster cover but the original sleeve.
So when a customer rents a movie they bring up the cover box, we put the disk inside the box and they take that away, if they don't return the box we would just have disks with nothing to put on the shelf, and therefore no one would ever rent them.
We write the copy number of the dvd on the actual disk and give them out with a plastic sleeve with the barcode on, if they forget the sleeve it's annoying but at least with the number on the disk we can look it up.
Unread April 19th, 2008, 09:32 AM
IHBB GOD

Right, we rent cover art too, but if the box and/or art gets lost or shredded, we put the disc in a new box with a generic cover that just says the title on it. Doesn't look too good on the shelf but whaddyagonnado.
It drops the movie in the bin or else it gets the fee again.
PUT THE FUCKING MOVIE IN THE FUCKING BASKET.
Unread April 19th, 2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesys View Post
Right, we rent cover art too, but if the box and/or art gets lost or shredded, we put the disc in a new box with a generic cover that just says the title on it. Doesn't look too good on the shelf but whaddyagonnado.
Ah yes we do this if we have to, but the only situtaion where I would allow that is if someone had stolen the cover without us knowing, I would never let anyone return a film without a cover or with a ruined cover - you break it/lose it, you buy it!

Gotta love lostckin
Unread April 19th, 2008, 01:56 PM
IHBB GOD

Maybe it happens a lot more in the States?

I wouldn't allow a rental to be returned without cover art, either. I'd certainly charge them something. I know not all my colleagues follow this train of thought, though...
Unread April 19th, 2008, 02:11 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh8286 View Post
Customers were looking at me and laughing in line finding it funnny how someone can't do basic math.
You were on the phone when customers were in line? I'm not trying to have a go, but I personally don't answer the phone if there are customers waiting, and I thought this was common practice.