I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Other Stuff (Off Topic) > Other Ranting and Raving

Unread November 25th, 2008, 08:31 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooworker View Post
I won't debate this.........
aaah, c'mon!!!

TURTLE IS A WELL KNOWN, WELL RESPECTED, AND MUCH LIKED CONTRIBUTER TO THESE FORUMS AND SHOULD BE PROMOTED TO ROYAL STATUS ASAP.
Thanks to the Royal Sugar Pants from the Royal Ninja Tortoise!!

Royal Ninja Turtle...aka the Royal Tortoise
Unread November 25th, 2008, 09:18 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobedrummer View Post
Please stick to the facts.
Opinion has no place in debate.
I agree. I despise that debating is glorified as a skill in society, especially among the youth. The purpose of debating shouldn't be to win, or otherwise convince someone of something. It should be to seek the truth of a given matter.

One person explains why he thinks something is a certain way. His argument is either flawed or it isn't. If it is, someone should expose the flaw using reason, at which point (faced with irrefutable logic), the original claimant should conform his viewpoint to the infallible truth. Ideally, the first person would be privy to the impairments in his own argument before proliferating it, at which point he would preemptively correct it making no debate even necessary.

Clubs where a student is assigned a position and required to debate another student (who was equally assigned the opposing view) are an affront to the perfect absolution of truth and what should otherwise be humanity's noble purpose of seeking it.
Unread November 26th, 2008, 07:07 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk237 View Post
I agree. I despise that debating is glorified as a skill in society, especially among the youth. The purpose of debating shouldn't be to win, or otherwise convince someone of something. It should be to seek the truth of a given matter.

One person explains why he thinks something is a certain way. His argument is either flawed or it isn't. If it is, someone should expose the flaw using reason, at which point (faced with irrefutable logic), the original claimant should conform his viewpoint to the infallible truth. Ideally, the first person would be privy to the impairments in his own argument before proliferating it, at which point he would preemptively correct it making no debate even necessary.

Clubs where a student is assigned a position and required to debate another student (who was equally assigned the opposing view) are an affront to the perfect absolution of truth and what should otherwise be humanity's noble purpose of seeking it.

wow RK that was profound

fortune cookie?
Unread November 26th, 2008, 04:23 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:

Every thought about running for office RK?
The top Poster!
Unread November 28th, 2008, 08:51 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooworker View Post
Every thought about running for office RK?
??? I wasn't bullshitting though. It's just my main complaint about the way people argue so insubstantially, most especially in politics. I would never want to be in public office.
Unread November 28th, 2008, 02:11 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
??? I wasn't bullshitting though. It's just my main complaint about the way people argue so insubstantially, most especially in politics. I would never want to be in public office.
I'm sure you enjoy your private office though.....
The top Poster!
Unread December 15th, 2008, 08:01 PM
IHBB Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to SL_600
I thought that this would be a fun thread and I still do. However, it was derailed after the second response because the rules were not followed. *cough*Omen*cough* Please re-read below and stick to the format if you care to participate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL_600 View Post
The format of this thread is for someone to suggest a topic for debate. The first post should make the case for and the second post should make the case against, and so on and so on. It doesn't matter how you personally feel about the topic. The purpose is to hopefully get you to see other points of view other than your own.
That being said, it was pointed out to me that the original scenario posed was sexist, which admittedly it was. So let's flip the script and ask the question:

What, if anything, should Guy Ritchie be entitled to at the dissolution of his marriage to Madonna?

1. For.... 2. Against.... 3. For.... 4. Against....

WWGD ....What Would Gord Do?
Unread December 15th, 2008, 08:05 PM
IHBB Freak

I'll start it off.

For: Half! What's good for the gander...

Unread December 16th, 2008, 07:18 AM
IHBB GOD

2: against.....but who cares?
The top Poster!
Unread December 16th, 2008, 06:07 PM
IHBB Freak

For: He has become accustomed to a certain standard of living and anything less would now be uncivilized.