I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread June 15th, 2011, 05:14 PM

Shit man I'm a shift lead and I don't even make their minimum wage in that city what bs....
Unread June 15th, 2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusAurelias View Post
Shit man I'm a shift lead and I don't even make their minimum wage in that city what bs....
Wow I thought you were a Roman Emperor..I guess the economic crisis really has hit every one
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Autosale For This Useful Post:
BUYMECAR (June 16th, 2011), D Money (June 15th, 2011), underemployed (June 17th, 2011)
Unread June 15th, 2011, 05:37 PM
IHBB GOD

Send a message via AIM to AbandonedDreams
I'm a supervisor in my job, and I only make a little bit more than this guy.
Unread June 16th, 2011, 07:41 AM
IHBB Freak

To me, this is like baseball players who make more playing one game than I do in ten years. Especially when I was younger, I'd have KILLED to find something that paid $14 an hour. There are some policemen, ambulance drivers and firefighters who routinely put themselves in danger to save people and make less than $14 an hour. You want to talk about high stress jobs? Sure, retail can be tough and cost us our sanity, but these are jobs that can cost LIVES, and I feel they deserve more than $14 an hour over someone who sells computers and iPods.

I understand the cost of living in California is somewhat ludicrous, but in a state that already bends over backwards to accomodate a higher wage, you're given an inch and you're taking a mile. I just wish I'd, until recently, had been able to make $14 an hour just making sales. Hell, I put myself through four stressful years at BBV, constantly having to audition for my job, for less than that. We were told we weren't even getting merit increases and tuition assistance anymore and we soldiered on. Yet $14 an hour isn't enough for iPod Boy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbydanny
If I want the experience of being in the store, let me have it on my own fucking terms.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deathbydanny For This Useful Post:
Veruka_Salt (June 17th, 2011), Woodstock (June 16th, 2011)
Unread June 16th, 2011, 08:10 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbydanny View Post
To me, this is like baseball players who make more playing one game than I do in ten years. Especially when I was younger, I'd have KILLED to find something that paid $14 an hour. There are some policemen, ambulance drivers and firefighters who routinely put themselves in danger to save people and make less than $14 an hour. You want to talk about high stress jobs? Sure, retail can be tough and cost us our sanity, but these are jobs that can cost LIVES, and I feel they deserve more than $14 an hour over someone who sells computers and iPods.

I understand the cost of living in California is somewhat ludicrous, but in a state that already bends over backwards to accomodate a higher wage, you're given an inch and you're taking a mile. I just wish I'd, until recently, had been able to make $14 an hour just making sales. Hell, I put myself through four stressful years at BBV, constantly having to audition for my job, for less than that. We were told we weren't even getting merit increases and tuition assistance anymore and we soldiered on. Yet $14 an hour isn't enough for iPod Boy.
Who is iPod boy and how the hell can you support children off that wage?

Even the Devil, which is the main share holder of blockbuster is saying you guys are making me look bad!

Horse Power is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Unread June 16th, 2011, 02:33 PM
IHBB GOD

That's a non sequitur...no one expects to be able to support children on an hourly retail salary.
It drops the movie in the bin or else it gets the fee again.
PUT THE FUCKING MOVIE IN THE FUCKING BASKET.
Unread June 16th, 2011, 04:51 PM
IHBB GOD

i work for Apple, but more in the technical support department. things to note:

1. getting a job at an Apple store is much harder than you would expect.

2. non-stop business. very few Apple stores in the nation have moderate business.

3. TONS of pressure, but not in the sales department. Apple doesn't really have hard sales goals for employees, but they do require you to pitch EVERYTHING to customers including the AppleCare Protection Plan, accessories and relevant add-ons. this is not a bad thing, necessarily, because many customers want to know what options are available for their product and many of them often to be upset if they were not right from the beginning. if an Apple store employee is giving their all to sale, it is because they want the sales incentives.

the pressure comes from customers. Apple's policies for servicing/replacing product is very strict. if you have a crack on the screen of your iPhone, prepare to pay $199 to get a refurbished phone. nope, not your own phone. a refurb. with Apple, you get a lot of extreme loyalists who are all 'I HAVE 2 IPADS, 3 IPHONES, AN IMAC AND 2 MACBOOK PROS, AND AN UNGODLY AMOUNT OF IPODS... REPAIR MY SCREEN FOR FREE KTHX"

there are so many hard conversations to be had with customers because they have such high expectations of Apple, and it is really hard to live up to that. but all Apple management can say to you for crazy customer requests? something they call "positioning", which is basically telling the customer they're out of luck without saying "you're out of luck".

4. theft. Apple has some high-value product available and unlocked on the floor. you're expected to be interacting with customers while also keeping an eye on the product. Not easy to do with the Apple store layout.

5. Apple privacy policy. Apple is VERY secretive and so those who are provided with information in the stores have a close eye placed on them, but even when information is not provided, that means that employees will most likely have to do an overnight/late night refresh/stocking/floor remodeling session. some employees don't find out until the night before that they have to stay overnight.

so yes, the Apple store is not an easy environment to work in. but of course there are perks:

-Store employees get good discounts... it's like 15% hardware, 30% accessories and software
-Not an ass-kissing environment. if you do good work, it shows, and you get to stay
-Shirts are simple and comfy
-Usually a lot of employees, so it can be fun
-A lot of the problems customers have are VERY easy to fix, and if they're not, there's usually more than enough replacement stock on hand
-Good sales rewards
-Better than average pay
-Time goes by FAST

=3
Unread June 16th, 2011, 06:35 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesys View Post
That's a non sequitur...no one expects to be able to support children on an hourly retail salary.
So your saying retail Job = taxpayer paying for kids?

This can not be true!!! Please correct me if I am flat out wrong

Even the Devil, which is the main share holder of blockbuster is saying you guys are making me look bad!

Horse Power is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Last edited by Hot Head; June 16th, 2011 at 06:40 PM.
Unread June 16th, 2011, 09:12 PM
IHBB GOD

I'm not sure what you're getting at, because you were the one who brought kids into the conversation, but if you're objecting to the universally-accepted and historically-proven fact that "retail" falls below the line of "single jobs with which one can meet the needs of a dependent," you will probably not discover a great deal of support.
It drops the movie in the bin or else it gets the fee again.
PUT THE FUCKING MOVIE IN THE FUCKING BASKET.
Unread June 17th, 2011, 02:48 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesys View Post
I'm not sure what you're getting at, because you were the one who brought kids into the conversation, but if you're objecting to the universally-accepted and historically-proven fact that "retail" falls below the line of "single jobs with which one can meet the needs of a dependent," you will probably not discover a great deal of support.
What I was saying if you have a retail job 9 times out of 10 you get support from the goverment? That is what I interpreted