I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread August 19th, 2007, 06:45 PM
IHBB Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to videoslave23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBVcasualposter View Post
Now maybe they can go to the dumpy Indies and not get any free echanges and pay twice as much as they would even with the new plan. Hmmm that sure seems intelligent and frugal.

The short term tempers will blow over rather quickly once they realize the grass is rotten brown on the other side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitdvd View Post
Um, some of us dumpy indies have sub plans as well. For $20 a month at my store, you can rent catalog, new releases, hi-def and all game platforms.

marc
I think he was referring to the dumpy indies, marc. We all know that you are knowledgeable about your business, and probably have a fine establishment. IVR, too.

He's right in the point he was trying to make, though. These people bitch and moan about having limited exchanges (or having to pay more), and everyone's solution is Hollywood(haha i laughed when i saw that one) or Netflix. (both more expensive) Their alternative truly will cost more for less benefits.
Unread August 19th, 2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoslave23 View Post
I think he was referring to the dumpy indies, marc. We all know that you are knowledgeable about your business, and probably have a fine establishment. IVR, too.

He's right in the point he was trying to make, though. These people bitch and moan about having limited exchanges (or having to pay more), and everyone's solution is Hollywood(haha i laughed when i saw that one) or Netflix. (both more expensive) Their alternative truly will cost more for less benefits.
I've ran into Marc a couple of times at our convention in Vegas and I know he runs a good store ...I've seen a lot of dumpy indies and they give other IVRs a bad name
Unread August 20th, 2007, 05:03 AM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVR View Post
I've ran into Marc a couple of times at our convention in Vegas and I know he runs a good store ...I've seen a lot of dumpy indies and they give other IVRs a bad name

I bought a dumpy indie back in February. I love its owner and its vibe, but it had that "dungeon" atmosphere to it. Four months after moving it and updating it, the store is now paying for itself... no debt too! Of course, me and my partner are working there four days a week.

marc
Unread August 20th, 2007, 05:39 AM
IHBB Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to videoslave23
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitdvd View Post
I bought a dumpy indie back in February. I love its owner and its vibe, but it had that "dungeon" atmosphere to it. Four months after moving it and updating it, the store is now paying for itself... no debt too! Of course, me and my partner are working there four days a week.

marc
How about contributing to the 'Customer's Say the Darndest Things' thread. It'd be nice to hear about dumb customers at the indies, too.
Unread August 20th, 2007, 06:49 AM

Come on, honestly... all of you know what kind of people still shop at Blockbuster.

This guy is representative of at least 30-40% of Blockbuster's customers... .___.
Unread August 20th, 2007, 07:02 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyNormal View Post
Come on, honestly... all of you know what kind of people still shop at Blockbuster.

This guy is representative of at least 30-40% of Blockbuster's customers... .___.
I disagree. I know we all get customers from hell and bitch about it, but they still only represent a small percentage.

Even the 2 entires to TCSTDT I posted over this weekend of all the annoying customers I had, it only totaled no more than 10 customers, out of 300-odd I served.

How many people are going to kick up a stink that weren't taking the piss with this system? Presumably, Blockbuster wanted to weed out the customers that weren't making them any money. The ones that were won't have a problem since the change doesn't really affect them.

I think the guy is mouthing off because he's upset that he's not going to get this kind of package anywhere, and he knows it. It's unfortunate Blockbuster didn't think of this before they rolled it out, but such as life.
Unread August 20th, 2007, 08:59 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air View Post
http://stopgeek.com/blockbuster-scre...l-my-pain.html

Short Version:

Guy has $10 a month online package and is used to getting a free game every month from the coupon (with added bonus of grumbling about not being able to find popular games on Friday night), used to as many movies as he can get one at a time from online, then free in store swapping. Assuming it's one movie a week, plus the free swapping that's about 8 movies a month. The plan is obviously making Blockbuster lose money, and the plan changes to be a bit more fair. He misread a sign about the plan not changing. Then he calls a manager dumb when he offers a free movie rental instead of a free game as reasonable compensation, and urges corporate to call the store's "Friday Night Manager." Gives the whole customer is always right tirade.

It's like some sort of super douche customer that's almost a wonder at which to stare
I just read the whole thread, and it pisses me off that people want everything free. Go to netflex, fuck I don't care. At least when you do come in my store I will get full rental payment.
The top Poster!
Unread August 20th, 2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoslave23 View Post
Exactly right.

Blockbuster's offering cannot be matched by anyone else in the marketplace.

While some firms provide Online and other firms provide brick and mortar, only Blockbuster offers both: The deep catalog and convenience provided by Online combined with the instant gratification provided by in-store.

Does Netflix have game rentals? Nope.

Does Netflix offer the ability to immediately and costlessly exchange titles? Nope.

Does Hollywood have deep catalog? Nope.

Does Hollywood offer web-based movie selection and convenient delivery straight to your mailbox? Nope.

Does Hollywood have Late Fees? Yup.

Will Hollywood be around much longer? Nope.

By all means, go back to Netflix. Pay the same price and get zero games and zero exchanges. Or go back to Hollywood, where you'll have zero selection and Late Fees.

And what's this guy going to do once Hollywood is gone? As I've said, Hollywood's disappearance will provide Blockbuster with significant market power. These people can bitch all they want, but they'll have fewer alternatives to Blockbuster going forward.
Unread August 20th, 2007, 09:45 PM
IHBB GOD

You know NGB i'm not sure about you.

It seems based off the times current article tone or overtures you flip flop between being pro BBV and anti BBV.

I cant figure out which you actually are.
Unread August 20th, 2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBVcasualposter View Post
You know NGB i'm not sure about you.

It seems based off the times current article tone or overtures you flip flop between being pro BBV and anti BBV.

I cant figure out which you actually are.
I'm not "pro" or "anti" anything. I'm an investor. I'll leave the cheerleading to you and the hating to Ozman and the rest of the BB competitors.

Blockbuster's Q2 sucked from an in-store rental perspective. Plain and simple. Acknowledging this truth doesn't make me anti-Blockbuster. In fact, If I get the chance I'd love to add to my BBI position (if the common goes to $3.75ish). Why? Because Hollywood's pain will largely be Blockbuster's gain. If Wedbush's revenue transfer #s are correct, then BBI can easily see $12/share.

That said, it's not either / or, and Netflix can win as well. HV's demise will expand the Online market. And as the Online market saturates, both Netflix and Blockbuster will have incentives to increase prices.

We're all used to Blockbuster and Netflix charging $17.99/month for 3-out. But recall that Netflix used to charge as much as $21.99/month for 3-out. That's what market power allows you to do. And that's what Blockbuster and Netflix will both gain when Hollywood goes away.

As market power increases and as the online market saturates, both Blockbuster and Netflix will likely exercise their duopoly power. Enjoy the discount prices while they last.