I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Unread November 19th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Effigy of the Forgotten Effigy of the Forgotten is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 65
So your holds don't automatically expire? At my store we just validate the card for whatever the amount is and it expires in about a week.

I'm always amazed at how many people come in asking if we rent DVD players or televisions - I'm sure renting a DVD player would cost the same amount as going out and buying one. Places like Rent-A-Center are up there with check cashing places on my list of "predatory" businesses.
  #32  
Unread November 19th, 2007, 12:34 PM
AbandonedDreams's Avatar
AbandonedDreams AbandonedDreams is offline
IHBB GOD
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 3,083
Send a message via AIM to AbandonedDreams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effigy of the Forgotten View Post
So your holds don't automatically expire? At my store we just validate the card for whatever the amount is and it expires in about a week.

I'm always amazed at how many people come in asking if we rent DVD players or televisions - I'm sure renting a DVD player would cost the same amount as going out and buying one. Places like Rent-A-Center are up there with check cashing places on my list of "predatory" businesses.

If its unclear in your post to whom you are speaking, quote them.


(Its unclear in your post to whom you are speaking).
__________________
Remind me never to play poker in this town.
  #33  
Unread November 19th, 2007, 12:39 PM
MissHailstorm's Avatar
MissHailstorm MissHailstorm is offline
IHBB GOD
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 7,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbandonedDreams View Post
If its unclear in your post to whom you are speaking, quote them.


(Its unclear in your post to whom you are speaking).
I believe I was being spoken to, although you do have a point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effigy of the Forgotten View Post
So your holds don't automatically expire? At my store we just validate the card for whatever the amount is and it expires in about a week.

I'm always amazed at how many people come in asking if we rent DVD players or televisions - I'm sure renting a DVD player would cost the same amount as going out and buying one. Places like Rent-A-Center are up there with check cashing places on my list of "predatory" businesses.
I think we were supposed to specify how long it was required for. If they didn't hear from us again, the hold would be removed after the time specified. I think we used to do DVD players for 5 days... someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong. I've no idea what we were supposed to do if it was late, though... - on 6 day, charge away?!

We can't/couldn't do anything fancy with our verifones - we had to phone the bank directly. Took up a lot of time and also pissed the customer off quite a bit.

It was rather short-lived and not really worth it in the grand scheme. I can't see it making a comeback, with all honesty.
__________________
Phone number is WRONG. Update it NEXT TIME or I will eviscerate you.
  #34  
Unread November 19th, 2007, 03:34 PM
whorehoppin whorehoppin is offline
IHBB Freak
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,953
a couple years ago we had some guy coming in bitching about getting charged for the movie pass that he wasn't using...his history only showed 6 months and every month all it showed was movie pass renewals and no renting. So my boss didn't want to give him anything but he kept coming in and calling. Eventually the guy came in with his credit card statements showing more than 6 months of renewals so we had to request his account history which showed 18 months of renewals with no renting. We ended up giving him nothing after he called corporate...I guess they figured he hadn't rented anything in 18 months so it wasn't worth it to keep him as a customer.

he obviously didn't need that money since he never checked his statements for all that time.
  #35  
Unread November 19th, 2007, 06:17 PM
sar94pga's Avatar
sar94pga sar94pga is offline
IHBB GOD
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: in a house. with a pool.
Posts: 10,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreKeith View Post
No. How did renting hardware work?
we had like 3 systems i think. two that actually worked. giant pain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissHailstorm View Post
If it was the same way we used to do it, it was a deposit/'hold' of some money. We used to have to phone the bank or credit card supplier and place a hold over something like 100 and then phone to remove it afterwards. I imagine some places probably enforced the customer to pay a deposit, then it was refunded when the item was returned.

It was a real shit, btw. Anyone who had that kind of money kicking around wasn't the type that needed to rent a DVD player...
here, we either took a $200.00 cash/credit depost. processed it as a prepaid. so we actually took the money. it was like $30.00 to rent it for a week, on top of the $200.00 deposit.

twas a pain in the ass because this was when everything was due at noon. so first thing in the am we'd have to do a refund...and if it were cash....we'd be fucked for the day.....

i know we rented VCP's but that was nearly done when i started.
__________________
With you guys until the very end. Thank you for all the years of good times and great friends!
  #36  
Unread November 19th, 2007, 09:45 PM
BBVcasualposter's Avatar
BBVcasualposter BBVcasualposter is offline
IHBB GOD
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 5,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by sar94pga View Post
we had like 3 systems i think. two that actually worked. giant pain...



here, we either took a $200.00 cash/credit depost. processed it as a prepaid. so we actually took the money. it was like $30.00 to rent it for a week, on top of the $200.00 deposit.

twas a pain in the ass because this was when everything was due at noon. so first thing in the am we'd have to do a refund...and if it were cash....we'd be fucked for the day.....

i know we rented VCP's but that was nearly done when i started.

I'm willing to stake there are still pre-paid bals out there from these actions.

I beleive we had stopped vcp's somewhere in 2001. Though they sat in my store for another couple years.
__________________
Kawliga: You know my uncle Jerry Sandusky
  #37  
Unread November 19th, 2007, 10:11 PM
libra libra is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 232
We rented ps2's back in the day but it was a credit card deposit, no cash. Cuz we should never have $200 in excess in a cash till. I remember our first shipment of PS2's the customer "lost" it. Yeah right!!! It was just that all of them were sold it out with months of waiting lists so they found a way to cheat & take our PS2. Really irked me at the time. They may have sold it on ebay for $1000 or something, who knows.
  #38  
Unread November 20th, 2007, 01:26 AM
igniteice's Avatar
igniteice igniteice is offline
IHBB GOD
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Seahaven Island
Posts: 3,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by whorehoppin View Post
a couple years ago we had some guy coming in bitching about getting charged for the movie pass that he wasn't using...his history only showed 6 months and every month all it showed was movie pass renewals and no renting. So my boss didn't want to give him anything but he kept coming in and calling. Eventually the guy came in with his credit card statements showing more than 6 months of renewals so we had to request his account history which showed 18 months of renewals with no renting. We ended up giving him nothing after he called corporate...I guess they figured he hadn't rented anything in 18 months so it wasn't worth it to keep him as a customer.

he obviously didn't need that money since he never checked his statements for all that time.
So fucking awesome. I hope corporate didn't bend over backwards and give him a refund off to the side. But, well, I wouldn't be surprised.
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:46 PM.


vBulletin Version 3.7.1
© 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.