I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > I Hate Blockbuster > Do You Hate Blockbuster Video?

Unread November 27th, 2010, 07:41 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent0042 View Post
p.s.: People Like Me Are The Reason This Company The Way It Is Today? Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Rotfl!

Shut The Fuck Up

Even the Devil, which is the main share holder of blockbuster is saying you guys are making me look bad!

Horse Power is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hot Head For This Useful Post:
Sourapplepucker (November 27th, 2010), zooworker (November 27th, 2010)
Unread December 1st, 2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djblade View Post
B- We put sign up saying "EVERYTHING MUST GO" because That sign is pretty much a figure of speech. Closing blockbuster don't make deals man, its still a business. Its ok to ask but if they say no, just don't get mad and complain about it. Do you shop for you underwear at the flea market ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbydanny View Post
In the meantime, I agree with everyone else in one respect-- why are you begging the employees for heavier discounts? Sure, BBV as an entity, which can still turn a profit (store level, mind you) on its merchandise, will eat that potential profit because you happen to be in a closing store and you're cheap. That's a great idea! And while we do that for everyone else, too (because that's a precedent, unless you're just that gosh darn special), let's see how long any of us keep jobs.
Actually with a closing business they can make deals. It never hurts to ask. But don't be an ass if they turn you down. When Movie Gallery closed, on the last day i offered them $1,500 for everything in the store minus the movies and games. That was for all shelves, 7 tanning beds, printers, counters, the overheard readers, tv's, washer/dryer, desks and anythng else that wasn't nailed down. I had 24 hours to clear out the building. By the way, they didn't take the $1,500 offer but took $2000 for everything, That was about $75,000 worth of equipment for $2,000. So it doesn't hurt to ask. For some reason they wouldn't sell me the movies or games in bulk.
Unread December 1st, 2010, 06:50 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge View Post
For some reason they wouldn't sell me the movies or games in bulk.
That's cause I already bought them

Seriously, tho... a few years back, I was in a town where a BBI franchisee went belly up. They were selling their bluray for $5 each (everything was $5.... great pricing plan there, guys). By the time I got there, the bluray were all gone. There was one blu movie left, Mr Woodcock. In the time it took me to make one circuit around the store, that Mr Woodcock went.... yes, someone even bought Mr Woodcock on blu.

The HV/MG closing was much better. There was so much product flooding the market that it was easy to make a bulk offer.

--Helena Bonham Carter
Unread December 2nd, 2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Actually with a closing business they can make deals. It never hurts to ask. But don't be an ass if they turn you down. When Movie Gallery closed, on the last day i offered them $1,500 for everything in the store minus the movies and games. That was for all shelves, 7 tanning beds, printers, counters, the overheard readers, tv's, washer/dryer, desks and anythng else that wasn't nailed down. I had 24 hours to clear out the building. By the way, they didn't take the $1,500 offer but took $2000 for everything, That was about $75,000 worth of equipment for $2,000. So it doesn't hurt to ask. For some reason they wouldn't sell me the movies or games in bulk.

I'm not sure why Movie Gallery would have 7 tanning beds or any of the other stuff, but it's not really up to the employees on prices, its still all in corporate hands. Having closed a store a few years ago, most of the stuff was boxed up and sent to another store and they sold off the rest of the stuff that people wouldn't rent/new place wouldn't have room for.

Going in on the last day (aside from being able to post about it here) means you would have gotten the absolute lowest prices the company would be willing to charge for all the crap that was left over from weeks of opportunistic bargain hunters but you're still not happy.

Mr.Moneybags over here...
Unread December 2nd, 2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaderOfShifts View Post
I'm not sure why Movie Gallery would have 7 tanning beds or any of the other stuff, but it's not really up to the employees on prices, its still all in corporate hands. Having closed a store a few years ago, most of the stuff was boxed up and sent to another store and they sold off the rest of the stuff that people wouldn't rent/new place wouldn't have room for.

Going in on the last day (aside from being able to post about it here) means you would have gotten the absolute lowest prices the company would be willing to charge for all the crap that was left over from weeks of opportunistic bargain hunters but you're still not happy.

Mr.Moneybags over here...
Movie Gallery had the beds because approx. 125 stores had tanning as well as videos. I didn't say anything about not being happy and I'm not posting it to brag. What I am pointing out is that you can ask for a better deal and possibly get it. Do it in a respectable way and if they say no...then it's a no and don't be an ass about it. Prices can change when you make an offer. Yes the employee has to call corp. and get approval, but it can be done. The reason I put in such a low bid is the exact opposite. I'm not made of money and this was the perfect opportunity to start my own business without going into the hole big time. So don't think just because it's the last day that this is the absolute lowest price as you have stated.

What's the alternative of not selling the merchandise on the last day?
1. It gets boxed up and sent to another store.
2. stays in the orginal store and the landlord gets what is left. Which what was going to happen to the tanning beds and washer and dryer. Corp. was not going to pay to have that moved.

By the way, I was the store manager in this closing store, so I know what it's like dealing with the customers who come in stating how sad to see us close and are looking for better deals. In case someone wants to state that I wouldn't understand what the employees were going thru.
Unread December 4th, 2010, 11:47 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
What's the alternative of not selling the merchandise on the last day?
1. It gets boxed up and sent to another store.
2. stays in the orginal store and the landlord gets what is left. Which what was going to happen to the tanning beds and washer and dryer. Corp. was not going to pay to have that moved.
Don't forget #3, the liquidators come in (which is what happened to a lot of the MG property), they pay 5-10 cents on the dollar, try to sell for 50 cents on the dollar, will go down to price paid (5-10 cents on dollar) the last day, and leave everything else behind so as not to pay to have it hauled away as trash.

Another alternative that I have seen worked is, go in the day after, and see what the landlord will take for it. I have heard of the landlords giving it away, so as not to have to pay to have it removed.

Whilst you're at it, Sarge, ask the landlord about renting the place. Then, neither of you have to move the fixtures and whatever is left behind, and you have an established location that people know. A lot of MG/HV landlords are renting out to indys, from what I am seeing.

--Helena Bonham Carter
Unread December 5th, 2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzMan View Post
Don't forget #3, the liquidators come in (which is what happened to a lot of the MG property), they pay 5-10 cents on the dollar, try to sell for 50 cents on the dollar, will go down to price paid (5-10 cents on dollar) the last day, and leave everything else behind so as not to pay to have it hauled away as trash.

Another alternative that I have seen worked is, go in the day after, and see what the landlord will take for it. I have heard of the landlords giving it away, so as not to have to pay to have it removed.

Whilst you're at it, Sarge, ask the landlord about renting the place. Then, neither of you have to move the fixtures and whatever is left behind, and you have an established location that people know. A lot of MG/HV landlords are renting out to indys, from what I am seeing.
I tried to get the landlord to rent me the building, but Movie Gallery gave her 4k month rent and she had gotten used to it. It was highly overpriced. Everything else in town is going between 500-700 per month. So I had to move the stuff out. Unfortunately Family Video met her price 3 weeks later, so I am competing with them on the movie portion of the business.