I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread February 14th, 2013, 07:44 PM

Ergen: "Blockbuster was too late..." (article)

It sounds like Ergen is just a step away from conceding failure regarding their purchase of BB. Here's the article:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/char...uster-netflix/

"Charlie Ergen: Dish’s Blockbuster Didn’t Have “Guts” To Challenge Netflix

The Dish Network chairman says he missed the boat with his strategy for Blockbuster: He told AllThingsD’s “D: Dive Into Media” conference today that he bought the video chain out of bankruptcy because he wanted to use the stores to sell a new wireless broadband service he’s developing. But that became moot when his effort took longer than he envisioned. Meanwhile, “we were too late” to the streaming business. “Under the radar [Netflix] got critical mass and [now] can buy any program that they want to,” Ergen says. “We didn’t have the guts to buy the content and start from scratch.” That doesn’t mean Amazon’s streaming service is doomed. “They both can be successful….Amazon can subsidize it.” But Ergen says he’s a “fan” of Netflix and its business model. The financing of the original series House Of Cards was “brilliant…I feel stupid that we didn’t think of it first.” The man behind the Hopper ad-skipping DVR — being challenged in court by broadcasters who say it violates their copyrights — also got some laughs by noting that Netflix has no commercials. “They’re not getting sued. You can watch 60 Minutes in 40 minutes.”

If you’re interested in Ergen, who rarely gives public interviews, then you should check out Peter Kafka’s masterfully handled and often funny conversation with the billionaire satellite mogul. In addition to the comments about Blockbuster, Ergen predicts that the days are numbered for the pay TV all-or-nothing programming bundle. “I think people are cutting the cord,” he says. Ergen is hopeful that he can find a partner to help with his wireless plans. He also addressed a recent BusinessWeek story that called Dish the “meanest company in America.” Ergen acknowledges that “there was some truth to it” — even though “the story was fairly superficial.” But he says it’s because he wants employees who take pride in their work and don’t consistently make excuses for themselves."

---------------------------------------------------------

So, now what happens? Is Blockbuster STILL planning on rolling out a series of new stores over the next year? Is it finally almost over? I would sincerely be interested in hearing peoples' predictions, and I am also curious to hear what the resident die-hard supporters have to say.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpiceCake For This Useful Post:
inkedangel (February 15th, 2013), johnlow71 (February 15th, 2013)
Unread February 14th, 2013, 07:45 PM

Another one...

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/blo...s-stores-29611
Unread February 14th, 2013, 08:30 PM
IHBB GOD

Um ... the first Blockbuster didn't have the guts to challenge Netflix. And so, BlockbusterGotNetflixed.

Pun intended.
AbandonedDreams (February 14th, 2013), inkedangel (February 15th, 2013)
Unread February 14th, 2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloItsMeMOM View Post
Um ... the first Blockbuster didn't have the guts to challenge Netflix. And so, BlockbusterGotNetflixed.

Pun intended.
LOL, nice pun. I think that, in this case, Ergen is simply trying to find an excuse to explain away the purchase (and subsequent failure) of Blockbuster. I will miss renting games from the local BB, but I hear that Gamefly has their act together these days, and I heard about a competing company that is also highly regarded. So bye-bye BB.
The Following User Says Thank You to SpiceCake For This Useful Post:
inkedangel (February 15th, 2013)
Unread February 14th, 2013, 08:35 PM
IHBB GOD

I am a huge netflix fan. Got the kiddo to talk xH into paying for it which makes it that much nicer
Unread February 14th, 2013, 09:37 PM
IHBB GOD

Send a message via AIM to AbandonedDreams
Go kiddo!

Message too short.
Unread February 14th, 2013, 11:14 PM
IHBB GOD

I will feel for the employees that are going to loose their jobs.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that." George Carlin (Thanks Moonprism)

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Woodstock For This Useful Post:
inkedangel (February 15th, 2013), johnlow71 (February 15th, 2013), sar94pga (February 18th, 2013)
Unread February 15th, 2013, 02:27 AM
IHBB GOD

hmmm yeah my bro gets gamefly and its really good/reasonable.
Unread February 18th, 2013, 02:28 PM
IHBB Freak

i have netflix streaming now and it doesnt have awhole lot of movies, the television stuff is great, but i dont see the hype with the streaming...and i dont want the by mail service.
I learned that dreams don’t work without action; I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.
Unread February 18th, 2013, 06:05 PM

I like Amazon Instant Video -- they have all the new release movies as soon as they're released (sometimes earlier), and most 48-hour rentals only cost $5 (HD rentals cost $6 for 48 hours -- the same as Blockbuster). I don't have Netflix because I don't really care about watching older movies.

Of course, I realize that some people still prefer "The Store Experience," because... there's nothing like the rush of going to Blockbuster, seeing that the movie you wanted is checked out, and knowing that you spent gas money just to get there and find that out... ?

Or maybe they want the candy bundles?