I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread October 15th, 2006, 03:59 PM
IHBB GOD

Morbid Angel, that ENTIRE post FLIES in the face of who you are actually selling Blockbuster Online to. You're selling it to people who come in on Friday night and only want to rent the movies that came out this past Tuesday - can't rent the BSI cuz they're "old," can't rent movies that came out LAST week because, "LOL THOSE AREN'T THE NEW RELEASES!"

Trust me, if people are really DYING to rent those titles, they will go out of their way to find them somewhere.

You completely missed the point of my entire argument, in that your IN-STORE ADVERTISING IS FUCKING POINTLESS.
Unread October 15th, 2006, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanthor View Post
Actually, the "$40.00 per activation" that went to our TNR was a product of the 4 coupons the customer can print out. If the customer activated and only managed to redeem 1 of those coupons, the store would only get $10. I'm not sure how they will handle that now with the reduction of the coupons.
You're wrong, I've seen on the Store Profitability Report the amount of money generated from activations, and the amount of money generated by coupons. Where did you get this idea?
Unread October 15th, 2006, 09:18 PM

if you havent heard we are now taking the online movies at the store. guess it will speed up the time members get the next movies out.
Unread October 15th, 2006, 09:20 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjimbo View Post
if you havent heard we are now taking the online movies at the store. guess it will speed up the time members get the next movies out.
Thanks for the insight.
Unread October 15th, 2006, 10:37 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjimbo View Post
I hadn't heard that.

Thanks Keith for confirming.

I'll be sure to let my employees know about it next time I see them.
Unread October 15th, 2006, 10:43 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by igniteice View Post
Morbid Angel, that ENTIRE post FLIES in the face of who you are actually selling Blockbuster Online to. You're selling it to people who come in on Friday night and only want to rent the movies that came out this past Tuesday - can't rent the BSI cuz they're "old," can't rent movies that came out LAST week because, "LOL THOSE AREN'T THE NEW RELEASES!"
That's not who I sell Blockbuster Online to. I sell it to people who come in and want TV shows we don't carry, smaller titles we'll never get, and stuff like that. Anybody who's ever had any experience with any online service should know the wait for New Releases isn't much different through a queue than it would be going to a store.

The edge that BBV Online is going to have now is that, unlike Netflix, you can get instant gratification. Go get a movie in a store while you're waiting for the next one to arrive from your queue. And unlike Hollywood, there is near unlimited title selection. AND you can use BBV Online in ANY Blockbuster store. MVP only works in the store you buy it in, like our Movie Pass. Blockbuster Online gives customers more options and more control over their entertainment.

We get a few customers in my store who are also with Netflix and don't want to change. We get some who love our Movie Pass and don't ever want to rent anything online. That's cool with us. Don't tell the guys at corporate, but we don't go for the hard sell. Whatever the customer wants, we try to accomodate that. And we keep customers updated on stuff they may benefit from. But if they think they get a better value somewhere else, that's their choice. It's my belief that, while I'm worried about what this program may cost the company, Blockbuster Total Access sounds like a really good program for the customers who want to use it.
Unread October 15th, 2006, 10:43 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
I hadn't heard that.

Thanks Keith for confirming.

I'll be sure to let my employees know about it next time I see them.
Groundbreaking. It's surely worth having a whole thread about it, as a matter of fact.
Unread October 15th, 2006, 11:00 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreKeith View Post
Groundbreaking. It's surely worth having a whole thread about it, as a matter of fact.
You're absolutely right. I'm sure djjimbo will get right on that immediately.
Unread October 15th, 2006, 11:08 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbid Angel View Post
NONE of these titles are available to rent at the the store I work at and there's hundreds more on my queue that the store doesn't carry. It only costs me $15 a month for this and I get the free in-store rental coupon each week as a nice bonus. I don't care how you paint it, that's still vastly superior to the $30 a month Movie Pass. Also, how many MP customers do you know of that have diverse taste in cinema and would actually rent movies from the BSI sections? 99% of the MP customers at my store rent nothing but dopey new releases and ignore everything else in the store. Sad, but true.

A - How many of those movies in your queue are actually sent out when you want them?? Selection is nice, but if you still can't get it...... you end up going to Orbit DVD or Dingo Video or Movie Madness (my new favourite place, and I haven't even been there yet )

B - OF COURSE people only rent new movies at BBI. ANYONE willing to part with $4 for a catalogue movie needs to have their head examined. Hell, if I can't find it cheaper USED at HV, I can get it cheaper NEW at WalMart

C - The best part about the MVP is, sure Ice got $200 worth of movies for $10.69, but since they were catalogue, they were already "paid for", were not goin anywhere (anyone coming in specifically to rent St Elmos Fire when Ice had it out would be willing to take something else then, and come back later for that movie), and thus still make a profit for HV. And that is why, from the store's POV, MVP is better than ANY of the onlines/movie passes.

--Helena Bonham Carter
Unread October 16th, 2006, 12:02 AM
IHBB Freak

Quote:

Trust me, if people are really DYING to rent those titles, they will go out of their way to find them somewhere.

You completely missed the point of my entire argument, in that your IN-STORE ADVERTISING IS FUCKING POINTLESS.
No, your post implied that the selection in a typical video store is more than good enough. Specifically this part:

Quote:
My store had over 7,000 unique titles. This Hollywood Video has over 9,000 unique titles. Everytime I go in there thinking there is nothing left to watch, I find something. I've seen over 800 movies in my lifetime and I keep going.

The last three movies I rented were Death to Smoochy, St. Elmo's Fire, and The War of the Roses. I only rent movies I haven't seen. There are plenty left that I haven't seen. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood for a drama, so I may overlook a lot of them.
I'm saying that for me and millions of other people, that isn't going to cut it. Why should I waste my time and money watching The War of the Roses when I really want to watch Takishi Miike films like Gozu that no Hollywood Video or Blockbuster is going to stock?

You do make a very valid point about advertising in-store. But keep in mind that Blockbuster simply cannot afford to advertise via other channels like Netflix does. The only hope the company has of getting the leg over Netflix is by converting in-store customers. And as Propoxy made light of; there are still a number of people coming in the stores looking for movies and TV series that are nearly impossible to find any video store and DON'T yet realize that they can rent these titles online.