I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread April 1st, 2011, 04:53 AM
IHBB Freak

Visit to a dying store

I haven't been to the store I worked at since they got the news they were closing, so I dropped by to talk to my old co-workers. As you can expect, the atmosphere was like a funeral home. The vultures... er, customers, were flocking in looking to see if the prices had dropped any more. Anyway, I noticed a few things the people on this board might find simultaneously amusing and depressing.

Theft is out of control. You know the movies they've been selling in those cheap plastic sleeves? The SL told me that when he came in that morning, he found 20 - 30 of them in the back corner (what we referred to as "Shoplifter's Alley). He said that is pretty typical, but of course despite the fact that they are seeing more traffic, they are still scheduled for single coverage most of the time.

Speaking of theft...
My old SM had brought in a mini-fridge at one point to put in the back so we had a place to keep our lunches/leftovers. Well since the store is closing, she took the fridge home. The DM goes ballistic, screaming about internal theft. He declares that nothing, nothing leaves the store without his approval.
So let me recap:
Movies being stolen hand over fist - not a cause for concern.
Employees taking their own property home - Armageddon!!!

One of the other SL's got fired for his sales (or lack thereof), despite the fact the store closes in 10 days. Those who remain are constantly threatened that if they don't hit their numbers, they will not be placed in a new store.
Strange how they fail to mention that with half the stores around here closing, your odds of being kept are lousy anyway... but hey, keep pushing those bundles!

One final note.
On the local news the other night, they ran a brief story about BB not accepting gift cards anymore. They ran the same video clip they run every time they do a story on BB, and it has to be at least 15 years old. I chuckled as I watched it. Heh, look at the VHS tapes on the wall. Look at the old blue and yellow shirts. Look at the cashier ringing up the customer....
... on the exact same POS they use now.
Antithesys (April 1st, 2011), Big Dog (April 1st, 2011), CoffeeCup (April 1st, 2011), Ghost of AtlanticVamp (April 1st, 2011), HelloItsMeMOM (April 1st, 2011), Hot Head (April 1st, 2011)
Unread April 1st, 2011, 06:02 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhorrent scowl View Post
I haven't been to the store I worked at since they got the news they were closing, so I dropped by to talk to my old co-workers. As you can expect, the atmosphere was like a funeral home. The vultures... er, customers, were flocking in looking to see if the prices had dropped any more. Anyway, I noticed a few things the people on this board might find simultaneously amusing and depressing.

Theft is out of control. You know the movies they've been selling in those cheap plastic sleeves? The SL told me that when he came in that morning, he found 20 - 30 of them in the back corner (what we referred to as "Shoplifter's Alley). He said that is pretty typical, but of course despite the fact that they are seeing more traffic, they are still scheduled for single coverage most of the time.

Speaking of theft...
My old SM had brought in a mini-fridge at one point to put in the back so we had a place to keep our lunches/leftovers. Well since the store is closing, she took the fridge home. The DM goes ballistic, screaming about internal theft. He declares that nothing, nothing leaves the store without his approval.
So let me recap:

One of the other SL's got fired for his sales (or lack thereof), despite the fact the store closes in 10 days. Those who remain are constantly threatened that if they don't hit their numbers, they will not be placed in a new store.
Strange how they fail to mention that with half the stores around here closing, your odds of being kept are lousy anyway... but hey, keep pushing those bundles!

One final note.
On the local news the other night, they ran a brief story about BB not accepting gift cards anymore. They ran the same video clip they run every time they do a story on BB, and it has to be at least 15 years old. I chuckled as I watched it. Heh, look at the VHS tapes on the wall. Look at the old blue and yellow shirts. Look at the cashier ringing up the customer....
... on the exact same POS they use now.

Is your refrigerator running? Yes. Well you better go catch it!

Even the Devil, which is the main share holder of blockbuster is saying you guys are making me look bad!

Horse Power is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Unread April 1st, 2011, 09:30 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Head View Post
Is your refrigerator running? Yes. Well you better go catch it!
Love too see their DM faces after saying that to him hahaha

The old SM isn't suppose to take the Refrigerator until the store closes on the last day. I would be pissed if I had stuff in it and couldn't bring anything for the next 10 days.
Unread April 1st, 2011, 09:32 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djblade View Post
The old SM isn't suppose to take the Refrigerator until the store closes on the last day. I would be pissed if I had stuff in it and couldn't bring anything for the next 10 days.
She OWNS it. She could take it home at any time. And the way the DM is acting, she is probably worried about not having her job for the next 10 days.

--Helena Bonham Carter
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OzMan For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (April 2nd, 2011), HelloItsMeMOM (April 1st, 2011)
Unread April 1st, 2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
But, but, 482 said this is not happening and the company would have no reason to do this?

Sorry 482, what you THINK is happening and what IS happening at the store level by these DM's are two completely different things.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeDampkring For This Useful Post:
Flantanella (April 1st, 2011), Ghost of AtlanticVamp (April 1st, 2011), JustTheFacts (April 2nd, 2011)
Unread April 1st, 2011, 04:20 PM

Nailed it yet again Kring
Unread April 1st, 2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhorrent scowl View Post
Speaking of theft...
So let me recap:

:
PM this store code please.

"The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far is as needed?" - II DUCE
Unread April 1st, 2011, 05:44 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blockbusterstore482 View Post
PM this store code please.
Done.

And just to add a little more perspective on the whole fridge thing, the SM in question doesn't actually work at that store anymore. It was left there as an act of generosity to those who remained. She only took it home as the final closing date approached.
Unread April 2nd, 2011, 09:10 PM
IHBB GOD

that was good thinking on her behalf. i'd be pissed if my fridge got sold for $20.

=3
The Following User Says Thank You to BUYMECAR For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (April 3rd, 2011)
Unread April 2nd, 2011, 10:51 PM

I don't get it. How can you even begin to relocate employees to new stores when if you walked into any Blockbuster Video nationwide you probably have a 50% chance that it's so dead there is only one person on staff at any given moment?

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Blockbuster's positions, strategies, or opinion.
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies, or opinion.