I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread July 19th, 2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnomaly View Post
The guy who owns the McDonalds across the street comes in every Tuesday and buys whatever new movies we just got in. Just because he doesn't want to sign up for an account.
So he's well off and an idiot? Not wanting the account, I can understand. But buying movies brand new at Blockbuster? That's like throwing a good $5-10.00 away per movie each week for no reason at all when they can be found cheaper elsewhere.
Unread July 19th, 2010, 08:55 PM
IHBB GOD

i also have customers that are pretty heavy on buying new retail at full price. reality is Blockbuster stores have employees who will provide stronger customer service when it comes to movies.

and shorter lines. can't forget shorter lines. people come in just to buy soda because they know they'll instantly be rang up.
The Following User Says Thank You to BUYMECAR For This Useful Post:
AfricahereIcome (July 20th, 2010)
Unread July 19th, 2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUYMECAR View Post
and shorter lines. can't forget shorter lines. people come in just to buy soda because they know they'll instantly be rang up.
Though now they'll be pressured to add a box of candy and bag of popcorn.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAnomaly For This Useful Post:
Unread July 19th, 2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUYMECAR View Post
i also have customers that are pretty heavy on buying new retail at full price. reality is Blockbuster stores have employees who will provide stronger customer service when it comes to movies.

Stronger customer service? Saying hello and thank you? That's just about anywhere now. How much "strong customer service" do you need to have to sell a brand new movie to somebody who decided they wanted it before they walked through the door? And going into buy a soda? Any gas station I've been to around my area is a quick in and out for that as well. Blockbuster doesn't have a corner market on these things.

And not all other places have long lines. I can go to Target as well and get in and out fairly fast and pay a fraction of the price of what Blockbuster would charge (and get it cheaper than I would have with employee discount!) Or if I can wait a few more days there's always amazon.com.
Unread July 19th, 2010, 10:20 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnomaly View Post
Though now they'll be pressured to add a box of candy and bag of popcorn.
me:dude, the drink is almost 2 bucks. candy and popcorn makes it a cool $3. >_< blegh
Unread July 19th, 2010, 11:09 PM

fuck bundles.
Yes, please buy a bundle of diabetes....
The Following User Says Thank You to MaximusX7 For This Useful Post:
Unread July 20th, 2010, 08:18 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien Oujia View Post
Stronger customer service? Saying hello and thank you? That's just about anywhere now. How much "strong customer service" do you need to have to sell a brand new movie to somebody who decided they wanted it before they walked through the door? And going into buy a soda? Any gas station I've been to around my area is a quick in and out for that as well. Blockbuster doesn't have a corner market on these things.

And not all other places have long lines. I can go to Target as well and get in and out fairly fast and pay a fraction of the price of what Blockbuster would charge (and get it cheaper than I would have with employee discount!) Or if I can wait a few more days there's always amazon.com.
stronger customer service: knowing the customer as a regular, knowing what they like, knowing when they come in and giving them suggestions best for them. this is what i mean.

there are much fewer employees at blockbuster sotres so this gives you more face time with the same customers.

working at a walmart, i would barely recognize familiar faces. everyone you knew well consisted of family and friends and coworkers.

and maybe where you live, targets and gas stations have rather speedy checkout, but not in the plaza i live near/work in. target is always packed, the gas station usually has 1 employee handling the register and the grocery store has several peaks.
Unread July 20th, 2010, 11:20 AM

So you're saying Blockbuster's advantage is you're never busy? :P
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to itirnitii For This Useful Post:
AfricahereIcome (July 20th, 2010), BUYMECAR (July 21st, 2010), TheShooter87 (July 20th, 2010)
Unread July 21st, 2010, 03:03 AM
IHBB GOD

precisely.
Unread July 21st, 2010, 05:50 AM

I got out two months ago. After 5 years of listening to my DM lecture us on how the grass is not greener and how SMs always come begging for their jobs back, I was scared to leave. Know what? I couldn't be happier at my new job. Better hours, better pay, every second weekend off, closed holidays, less bullshit and a super awesome DM. Yesterday I spent time with the president of my company and came out feeling like he actually gets what it's like at store level.

That being said, I understand why people stay. When you know your job so well you can do it blindfolded, you like your staff and customers, and it's scary putting yourself out there again. After I left I had lunch with another former SM and he said it's like a cult but you have to get yourself out. People can tell you it's bad, you KNOW it's bad, but you have to be ready to make that step. Honestly, I feel for those still in.

Any lingering doubts I had about leaving were extinguished when I found out my DM lied after I left and said I'd been on final written warning for posting negative things here about him and the company. This is my first negative thing I've written, basically because I was brainwashed into believing in him and the company as a whole. I've never had any verbal or written warnings about anything except chasing shoplifters.Now, I can do it AND let the 67 customers on my Facebook list know what it's all about if I choose.

I think you'll see more of me here now. Trust me, the grass is soooo fuckin' green on the other side.
AfricahereIcome (July 21st, 2010), TheShooter87 (July 21st, 2010), wheresmikey (July 21st, 2010)