I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Other Stuff (Off Topic) > Other Ranting and Raving

Unread January 7th, 2012, 10:48 PM
IHBB GOD

Anti - they have been saying the same thing about Movie Theaters for EONS, and they are still around!

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that." George Carlin (Thanks Moonprism)

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Woodstock For This Useful Post:
HelloItsMeMOM (January 9th, 2012), Hot Head (January 8th, 2012), johnlow71 (January 9th, 2012), zooworker (January 17th, 2012)
Unread January 8th, 2012, 03:29 PM
IHBB GOD

This isn't analogous to movie theaters. Theaters survived video stores because

a) they were able to maintain a release window advantage over home video; if you want to be first to see it, you have to go to the theater.
b) they provided a different (and, at times, superior) experience than the home viewing experience.

Video stores don't have any traits that will help them survive digital delivery once that technology is established. The release window is either nonexistent or will be eventually (the industry isn't going to add an extra step in media distribution...there's already theater-to-video, video-to-cable, cable-to-syndication, etc.). The "video store experience" is not something that will keep the model afloat as it has for theaters; some people like it, but will sacrifice it for the ease of staying at home and pushing buttons. The perfect date night has never been dinner and a trip to Video Universe.

Stores are going to die. It's Darwin at work. It's not going to happen right this second, but it's going to happen, and what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't seem like a good idea to get into the game at this point. In about ten years, whatever niche market there may still be for brick-and-mortar will not be enough to keep a neighborhood store afloat.
It drops the movie in the bin or else it gets the fee again.
PUT THE FUCKING MOVIE IN THE FUCKING BASKET.
Unread January 9th, 2012, 06:31 PM
IHBB GOD

Sure stores are gonna die, but so are we. Does that mean we stop living? I was told in 1990 that Video On Demand was gonna kill the video industry and rentals would soon be gone. I had a great business by ignoring the nay sayers. I would say run with it while you can, adapt when you must and enjoy every damned moment of it.
Ghost of AtlanticVamp (March 25th, 2012), Nicholas R Miller (January 10th, 2012), zooworker (January 10th, 2012)