I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread March 21st, 2013, 10:37 AM

So if you rent a New Release movie on Friday evening, kept it for the weekend to watch with the family and then returned it on Monday, you've paid $16 for it? Wow. My customers would have hated that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PickleBundle For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (March 21st, 2013), inkedangel (March 21st, 2013)
Unread March 21st, 2013, 01:04 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickleBundle View Post
So if you rent a New Release movie on Friday evening, kept it for the weekend to watch with the family and then returned it on Monday, you've paid $16 for it? Wow. My customers would have hated that.
i did that with red box last week,cost me a whole lot less....
The top Poster!
Unread March 21st, 2013, 02:04 PM
IHBB Freak

I'm $3 for three days. Works for me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to orbitdvd For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (March 21st, 2013), inkedangel (March 21st, 2013)
Unread March 21st, 2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djblade View Post
90% of the store is 5 day rentals... Its going back to the old days since Netflix and Redbox kinda suck now......

$3.99 - 1 day (New release movies 1-4 weeks new because redbox and netflix doesn't have them. We are trying to keep them instock.) ARD fee $3.99 per day
$3.99 - 5 days (52 weeks) ARD fee $0.79 per day
$0.99 - 5 days (BSI movies) ADR fee $0.19 per day

Everything will still auto sale on the account after 10 days
_______

Games

$9.99 - 5 day (1-8 weeks)
$5.99 - 5 day (52 weeks)
$2.99 - 5 day (BSI games)

Pass:

3 & 2 out of a time movie passes are not effective. Same with Kids pass

Blue ticket $14.99 goes to $24.99 now (still get 1 rent get 1 free, 1 free online mailer, games and movies)
Movie pass is $14.99 (only does movies, no games)

They pick this deal because some dude in texas is doing well with it and has proven it works lol
DJblade, thanks for posting a breakdown of the new pricing model. Do you think that the new pricing plans will actually put BB back "on the map" in terms of making money? Or do you think it's just a last-ditch ploy to milk as much money as they can from the stores before they shut them down?

Another question -- who wants to pay $4 per day for a movie? Oh, but that's for a new release movie. Well, for $4, I can go on Amazon Instant Video and rent the same new release film for 2 days and not have to spend gas money or time going to BB.

How is this really going to turn things around for BB? Does Dish assume that, just because Blockbuster is the "mighty video store chain," people are going to feel privileged to severely overpay to rent a movie?
Unread March 21st, 2013, 07:14 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitdvd View Post
Your spin is always entertaining.

They can't broker good deals for the product anymore. Too few stores.
hahahahha I like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNewlySL View Post
As you continue to sip the koolaid because you work at a store they kept for a tax write off, people will cancel their passes left and right because why pay 10 dollars more for the same deal you have been giving them for over a year now. Also people will be paying 4 dollars for 5 days which will cater to some, but they will not be happy they have to take it for 5 days instead of the typical 1.99 for 1 day option they had, and same for the older movies, im going to pay 4 bucks for 5 days when i could have it 1 dollar for 1 day, ur older movie rentals are going to take a big hit.
I like to add my own spin to the drink . I wouldn't say our BSI movies would take a hit, RedBox customer would drive to our store just for that price. It beats it easily. Some will try to fight the $3.99 for 5 days but its not that bad consider we have a better selection than redbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkedangel View Post
As usual, they still haven't learned that just because some guy in one area tried it and made it work that it's going to work all over the country. Some people can't afford the higher pricing, some people are just stubborn and won't want to pay it. And it's especially going to be an issue for some if the NR are still still coming in on Fridays for whatever reason. It's a crap deal, they used to pay that price for 2 out and some of them remember that deal still.
True, many areas they have will like this price range because many Blockbusters are further from a lot of customers and them having not to drive a long distance again the next day. Wouldn't that help the customer not to rush the product back? Some customers prefer just to keep it a day or 2 and they don't mind paying the extra balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickleBundle View Post
People don't do that anymore. 7day rental? They should do the online mailer. Only Blockbuster employees do that type of renting lol. I know there are some but its rare to see that anymore. They also can do $0.99 for 5 days and after that its $0.19 per day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiceCake View Post
DJblade, thanks for posting a breakdown of the new pricing model. Do you think that the new pricing plans will actually put BB back "on the map" in terms of making money? Or do you think it's just a last-ditch ploy to milk as much money as they can from the stores before they shut them down?

Another question -- who wants to pay $4 per day for a movie? Oh, but that's for a new release movie. Well, for $4, I can go on Amazon Instant Video and rent the same new release film for 2 days and not have to spend gas money or time going to BB.

How is this really going to turn things around for BB? Does Dish assume that, just because Blockbuster is the "mighty video store chain," people are going to feel privileged to severely overpay to rent a movie?
You bring up a good point. Most people have on demand, and the prices range from $5.99-$6.99 for 1 day. You save money

RedBox raise its prices to $1.29

Its all about new releases people. Most people don't want to wait to see a movie.
Unread March 21st, 2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
hahahahha I like you

I like to add my own spin to the drink . I wouldn't say our BSI movies would take a hit, RedBox customer would drive to our store just for that price. It beats it easily. Some will try to fight the $3.99 for 5 days but its not that bad consider we have a better selection than redbox.

True, many areas they have will like this price range because many Blockbusters are further from a lot of customers and them having not to drive a long distance again the next day. Wouldn't that help the customer not to rush the product back? Some customers prefer just to keep it a day or 2 and they don't mind paying the extra balance.

People don't do that anymore. 7day rental? They should do the online mailer. Only Blockbuster employees do that type of renting lol. I know there are some but its rare to see that anymore. They also can do $0.99 for 5 days and after that its $0.19 per day.

You bring up a good point. Most people have on demand, and the prices range from $5.99-$6.99 for 1 day. You save money

RedBox raise its prices to $1.29

Its all about new releases people. Most people don't want to wait to see a movie.
I agree -- it is all about new releases. So that's the thing -- if you keep a BB new release checked out for 2 days, you have paid 8$ + tax. When you factor in the gas money spent to go to-and-from Blockbuster, this is really not a good deal.

Also... when are the new stores opening? Has Ergen stated during a conference call that he believes this new pricing model will lead to the BB stores generating enough profit to open new stores?
Unread March 21st, 2013, 08:49 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiceCake View Post
I agree -- it is all about new releases. So that's the thing -- if you keep a BB new release checked out for 2 days, you have paid 8$ + tax. When you factor in the gas money spent to go to-and-from Blockbuster, this is really not a good deal.

Also... when are the new stores opening? Has Ergen stated during a conference call that he believes this new pricing model will lead to the BB stores generating enough profit to open new stores?
I will let you know. I will check the sheet at the end of the week to see what our TNR is and stuff.

Having the $3.99 for 1 day is pricey but we are the only people besides ondemand that has it. Ondemand is more expensive. People do know if you are the only business that has it in stock, they are willing to pay the price. its all about supply and demand. If AMC was playing the neweast Star wars episode 7 and United Artist/ other threaters had to wait 1 month in order to play it. Would people wait? Nope and a selected few might. Blockbuster is finally taking advantage of the 28 day thing and trying to keep movies in stock. Bring that movie back the next day better be a priority because paying $3.99 per night would suck. $3.99 * 4 nights = $16 <--thats no fun

Also the studios like it when we charge more too. More money on the split revenue.
Unread March 22nd, 2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Blockbuster is finally taking advantage of the 28 day thing and trying to keep movies in stock. Bring that movie back the next day better be a priority because paying $3.99 per night would suck. $3.99 * 4 nights = $16 <--thats no fun
As I recall, they've tried many times to take advantage of that window... push it hard and heavy, it backfires and they change it up again. I've seen it many times since that window started where the pricing for the brand new releases jump up in price, people get pissed or what ever then the pricing changes again to go back down some because people are pissed. They've bounced that price around over and over, change those damn stickers over and over, dump all that money into changing what the sticker says plus the man power they have to pay to have those stickers changed. The stickers came from them trying to copy their competitors *cough Family Video cough* and their pricing. Just sayin is all... just sayin.

And personally I don't care what the movie is, I'm not going to drop that kind of cash on it.... I find other ways to get my hands on it *whistles looking up at the ceiling all innocent like*
Unread March 22nd, 2013, 06:31 PM

DJBlade, I'm not sure where you're getting that on demand/streaming rentals cost more than renting a movie for a night from BB. If you go to the page for Amazon Instant Video, you'll see that most videos are $3.99 to rent for 2 days, and a couple are $4.99 to rent for two days:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=AIVHPBB_...d_i=2858778011

Obviously, $3.99 for 2 days is a much better deal than $3.99 for 1 day, and you also don't have to spend time or gas money returning the movie to BB. You also don't have to worry about not returning it on time and being charged a late fee.

Somebody please tell me: if I can get a 2-day rental from Amazon for $4 or a 1-day rental from BB for $4, why on earth would I go to BB?

Also, here's another question... BB has been losing money for a year straight. Even if these price increases push them into profitable territory, that amount of profit probably won't be more than a couple million dollars per quarter. Is making a few extra million dollars here and there really that essential to Ergen? Wouldn't they be better off spending the time/money they're putting into (and losing) with BB on gaining more subscribers? Why are they so fascinated with keeping BB going?
Unread March 22nd, 2013, 07:18 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNewlySL View Post
redbox is streaming with verizon not on netflix...smh...lol..

Yeah the new prices suck total bung hole
My bad... I hit the wrong nail in your coffin.