I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread April 7th, 2010, 06:02 PM
IHBB Freak

Skullduggery, fuckery, and schemes

So, the saga continues.

I have been denied benefits because BB says I didn't do what I was supposed to. However, I have appealed to the Dept of Labor here, and have received expedient response for a hearing. However, that's not why I'm writing.

You see, there are new developments.

About a week before I was fired, we transferred in a new girl who immediately became a shift leader. Trouble is, we already had THREE. Somebody was about to go, and I ended up being the so-called "lucky" one. When I was fired, I complained about my situation to ethicspoint and directly to Jim Keyes, and my boss was fired later the next week.

HOWEVER!

Thanks to the protracted manner in which people are now hired in the company---

TALEO>Interview w/SM>Interview w/DM>Panel of SMs>training meeting> actual Compass training in store>then working

----it can take upwards of a month to hire on a new worker. (I escaped that, being hired on from when the store was franchise.) Today, I marked one calendar month from my last day...and there are two new managers. They were both hired away from the now-departed Hollywood Video in my area. (Leave it to Blockbuster to take players from the losing team.) They both looked a little embarrassed to see me in my old store, as I had been to their closing sale at Hollywood, and had conversed with one extensively about her situation while she was at Hollywood.

I've helped train managers for other stores, as well as worked with a new manager when I filled in at another store. It strikes me as a little suspect that in a month they've already trained two managers, right after letting me and my old SM go, as well as transferring in a new Shift Leader. In other words, the DM might have already had plans to fire my SM and me, and just let us do all the dirty work: my SM firing me for suspect reasons (but under directive from DM), and then me reporting it to get my SM fired.

I completely feel tricked here, as should my old SM.
Unread April 7th, 2010, 07:37 PM
IHBB GOD

BBV sucks and DMs are sneaky, sounds about right.
Unread April 7th, 2010, 07:57 PM
IHBB GOD

Everything is fine...business as usual.
Unread April 7th, 2010, 10:18 PM
IHBB Freak

Uhm, goav, I wnt to support your bills. But nothing is listed!

Anyway...that sounds real shady...wth?
Unread April 7th, 2010, 10:22 PM
IHBB Freak

Also in regards to your internet yard sale... exactly how long have you been selling destroys and promo items from your (now former) store on ebay?
Unread April 7th, 2010, 10:33 PM

I don't think they had these people lined up.
They probably hired some one that at least had some experience and threw them in.
Just because there's a supposed to be a gauntlet to go through to be hired doesn't mean it actually happens.
Unread April 7th, 2010, 10:34 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propoxy View Post
Also in regards to your internet yard sale... exactly how long have you been selling destroys and promo items from your (now former) store on ebay?
Who said she didn't pay for them?
Unread April 8th, 2010, 03:19 AM
IHBB GOD

Who cares she doesn't work there anymore.
Unread April 8th, 2010, 05:17 AM
IHBB Freak

First - I love the word "fuckery". I will make it my personal mission to find a way to use it at least once per shift.

Now, more to the point. Was all of this the DM's plan? Hmmmm, could be. I certainly believe DM's to be morally capable of such actions. But be careful not to mistake stupidity for conspiracy. We know that many of the longer serving employees have been getting broomed out company wide, but I don't necessarily believe that this specifically was the plan in your case. Trying to plan a termination of one employee (the SM) based on the possible actions of another (you), leaves too much margin for error. I think they just wanted people at your store gone, and this is just how it happened to play out. I suspect that if you had accepted your termination timidly and not complained, something else would have been discovered to serves as grounds to fire your SM.
One likely explanation that covers everything... your DM is a dick.

Of course, none of that changes the fact that you go big-time screwed, and I'm still praying you get a nice chunk of compensation (maybe a complete Dark Shadows collection).
Unread April 8th, 2010, 09:29 AM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
Uhm, goav, I wnt to support your bills. But nothing is listed!
Had some stuff listed, and it sold. Will add to the listings probably today or tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
Anyway...that sounds real shady...wth?
It wouldn't have been so bad, except that these two people weren't the first people I would have thought of for our store. I mean, they were hired on to Hollywood just for the closing; they weren't long-time HW employees. Had they been managing a relatively successful Hollywood store, maybe. But to bring on the people who basically sold off their markdowns and boxed up the rest? Please.