I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread February 17th, 2009, 10:22 AM

Assuming the story is true, I think it's a stupid move. The whole point of providing the in-store exchanges was to tide the customer over while they waited for their next movies in the mail. It's what made Blockbuster better than netflix. Now, all they're doing is eliminating the usefulness of the in-store exchange. Sooo... if you're going to do that, just eliminate the instore exchange altogether and go to a more simplified online pricing structure again. And to top it off, given Blockbuster's ability to communicate these changes to their customers, don't be surprised when the anger and frustration of the customers is taken out on the front line employees.

As much as I'd like to see BBV fight through this recession, I think they're going about it all wrong. They're going to lose more customer's than they are saving money on this move.
Unread February 17th, 2009, 12:10 PM
IHBB GOD

no no, customers can still watch while they wait, they just can't watch ALL of their exchanges at once. it's hardly a strain.

and i think the main reason behind the minor policy change is to avoid losing online customers once the late fees come back.
Unread February 17th, 2009, 07:42 PM
IHBB Freak

they should make the prices the same as netflix...on all mail programs...and if people want to exchange, they all pay 1.99 per rental for each exchange...saves on time..lets them still rent in store for a small amount...and we make more money..
I learned that dreams don’t work without action; I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.
The Following User Says Thank You to DavidNewlySL For This Useful Post:
libra (February 17th, 2009)
Unread February 17th, 2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNewlySL View Post
they should make the prices the same as netflix...on all mail programs...and if people want to exchange, they all pay 1.99 per rental for each exchange...saves on time..lets them still rent in store for a small amount...and we make more money..
Agree, as this would make the price structure much simpler and easier to compare with Netflix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youdontknowme View Post
Assuming the story is true, I think it's a stupid move. The whole point of providing the in-store exchanges was to tide the customer over while they waited for their next movies in the mail. It's what made Blockbuster better than netflix. Now, all they're doing is eliminating the usefulness of the in-store exchange. Sooo... if you're going to do that, just eliminate the instore exchange altogether and go to a more simplified online pricing structure again.
Disagree. Blockbuster needs to alter its plans/pricing. I agree with David's approach above. But this is a good alternative.

Under the old configuration, Blockbuster was charging consumers for a 3-out plan but effectively letting them have 6 DVDs at a time (3 in-store + 3 via mail). Doing this is costly, and given Netflix's superior growth it's not clear that consumers appreciated the benefit. So why should Blockbuster keep providing a costly service that's not appreciated?

Blockbuster's in-store advantage is still there. With Netflix, you're stuck mailing DVDs back, which requires waiting a few days to get the movies that you want. With Blockbuster, you can mail your movies back (just like with Netflix) or you exchange in-store, which allows you to see what you want right away. Of course, Netflix has its streaming service, but it's unlikely that the movies at the top of your queue will be streamable.

Overall, I like what I'm reading. Cutting store hours where there's little/no profit. Changing in-store rental terms, effectively bringing back late fees. And getting rid of underappreciated Online freebies. Collectively, these three changes should generate over $100MM annualized cash flow.
Unread February 17th, 2009, 09:34 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by netflix_got_blockbusted View Post
Agree, as this would make the price structure much simpler and easier to compare with Netflix.

Disagree. Blockbuster needs to alter its plans/pricing. I agree with David's approach above. But this is a good alternative.

Under the old configuration, Blockbuster was charging consumers for a 3-out plan but effectively letting them have 6 DVDs at a time (3 in-store + 3 via mail). Doing this is costly, and given Netflix's superior growth it's not clear that consumers appreciated the benefit. So why should Blockbuster keep providing a costly service that's not appreciated?

Blockbuster's in-store advantage is still there. With Netflix, you're stuck mailing DVDs back, which requires waiting a few days to get the movies that you want. With Blockbuster, you can mail your movies back (just like with Netflix) or you exchange in-store, which allows you to see what you want right away. Of course, Netflix has its streaming service, but it's unlikely that the movies at the top of your queue will be streamable.

Overall, I like what I'm reading. Cutting store hours where there's little/no profit. Changing in-store rental terms, effectively bringing back late fees. And getting rid of underappreciated Online freebies. Collectively, these three changes should generate over $100MM annualized cash flow.
i like you.
Unread February 18th, 2009, 01:07 AM
IHBB Freak

Doesn't matter to me either way. I refuse to ever go back into a Blockbuster store. I just don't like your clientele.... those stupid douche bag mother fuckers. Honestly, Customers are the worst at Blockbuster and Blockbuster does nothing to keep things simple were these morons can understand it.

So, I'll keep my Netflix and stay far way from the idiots who shop in your stores.
The Following User Says Thank You to ClutztomerControl For This Useful Post:
Angry (February 18th, 2009)
Unread February 18th, 2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutztomerControl View Post
Doesn't matter to me either way. I refuse to ever go back into a Blockbuster store. I just don't like your clientele.... those stupid douche bag mother fuckers. Honestly, Customers are the worst at Blockbuster and Blockbuster does nothing to keep things simple were these morons can understand it.

So, I'll keep my Netflix and stay far way from the idiots who shop in your stores.
Netflix is pretty amazing right now I must say. It's great streaming movies straight to my Tivo or 360 for $8.99 a month
Unread February 19th, 2009, 11:50 AM
IHBB GOD

HAHA yeah i'm on the same netflix plan. my sister watches so many streaming flicks in a day, it's insane. there are a lot of great indie films to check out online too.

at first, i only wanted to try out the plan to compare it so i can be more knowledgeable on the issue. there's really not much to hate on except the very limited instant watch collection.
Unread February 19th, 2009, 12:50 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sar94pga View Post
Kaw must work for hollywood/movie gallery.
Of course, where else would he go after getting fired from BBV.
The top Poster!
Unread February 20th, 2009, 06:53 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooworker View Post
Of course, where else would he go after getting fired from BBV.
Ok...for the sake of the BB-Tards on here, let's just pretend that I got fired. Now, please defend your piece-of-crap company. Nothing?...I thought not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w69eyo3K-c