I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread September 4th, 2010, 12:07 AM
IHBB GOD

So... interesting news

Alright, so the last Blockbuster in my city closed in Sep 2006 (my store). The two remaining Hollywood Videos, which, at their prime, were $2 million and $1 million revenue stores, stayed open all these past years, but finally closed with MovieGallery and Hollywood Video's nation wide fuck up. They began closing this past March and were open for a few months, maybe into May, don't really remember.

Since then there has only been Redbox and Blockbuster kiosks around town (pop. something like 110k). However, a Family Video store is opening up here. Construction is happening right the fuck now. Local news article from June said construction would last about 90 days once it started, so it should be open in like a month or two.

I filled out an application for a manager position. I'm hoping I get the job (not just because I'm unemployed) because I would love to work in a video store again. Maybe it wouldn't be exactly the same (my store was a franchise), but just the atmosphere, the free movies, the nice customers, the customers from hell, blocking movies... fuck, I spent 1 1/2 years doing a data entry/insurance job, sitting behind a desk, bored out of my fucking mind (I worked literally maybe 1-2 hours per day in my 8 hour shift, the rest of the time I was just fucking around, posting on message boards, reading news, etc.)

If I did get the job, I'd have fresh material to post about. Score!

Also if you have anything negative to say in reply to this, fuck off ahead of time.
Unread September 4th, 2010, 12:43 AM

Talking

Nothing negative here...I think that's great. Everyone should do what they enjoy. When I quit BBV, I went right into another retail job. It wasn't because I needed a job, but because I really enjoy working retail. I know it sounds weird, but I just love the environment. If I had to sit behind a desk for 8 hours, I'd shoot myself in the head with a nailgun. I wish you the best of luck.
Unread September 4th, 2010, 06:33 AM

Good luck on the Family Video job. If my job at Blockbuster went belly up with this bankruptcy, I would want to get on at another video store chain as well. For what it is, it's a decent part time job. I find it preferable to grocery store work or department store work and certainly preferable to food service work.
Unread September 4th, 2010, 09:23 AM

Slightly off topic, but it makes me wonder what the very last new Blockbuster that opened up was.
Unread September 4th, 2010, 09:26 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky me View Post
Slightly off topic, but it makes me wonder what the very last new Blockbuster that opened up was.
That is a good question it requires alot of brain power. We better figure it out or else management will get back to us in a year.

Even the Devil, which is the main share holder of blockbuster is saying you guys are making me look bad!

Horse Power is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Unread September 4th, 2010, 03:02 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by step_oj View Post
If I had to sit behind a desk for 8 hours, I'd shoot myself in the head with a nailgun.
I got out before they fired me. One of my managers called me in a week or two before I left (to finish up my degree) and was all, "Some other employees have noticed you haven't been working all the time..." I talked myself out of that one pretty smoothly though.
Unread September 4th, 2010, 11:41 PM

I remember when Family Videos started opening up here they required guys to wear suits and women to wear dresses to work. Seemed strange for a convenience-type business.
Unread September 5th, 2010, 06:46 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backer Card View Post
I remember when Family Videos started opening up here they required guys to wear suits and women to wear dresses to work. Seemed strange for a convenience-type business.
I will not wear a suit. Khakis, yes. Suit? No.
Unread September 5th, 2010, 06:56 PM

The one near me they just wear pretty much whatever they want as long as its tasteful im assuming, which is IMO something BBV should adopt

speaking of that, whatever happened to Blockbuster turning into Blockbuster Media
Unread September 5th, 2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShooter87 View Post
speaking of that, whatever happened to Blockbuster turning into Blockbuster Media
BB ran out of money