I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread November 20th, 2010, 06:38 PM
IHBB Freak

Our time is now! Current Employees, give a look.

You know. I sat here for 5 minutes typing this whole huge rant. I decided to erase it all and just say this...

We're unhappy with the way this company runs. They give us nothing when we give what we've got. We have nothing tangible to show for our efforts.

If there comes a day where we are all in agreement that different stipulations should occur...we hit them where it hurts. DO NOT SELL. Sales, Sales, Sales. Sell nothing. You want us to work for you? Give us something in return.

If my job is threatened because I have an opinion, I will not sell. If I get fired, this company is going to lose one hard working person. Too bad we're not a union, I'd say it'd be time to strike. Yeah, you read it. I said union and strike in the same sentence. Come find me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ninja For This Useful Post:
farmface (November 22nd, 2010), yodavsjason (November 20th, 2010)
Unread November 20th, 2010, 06:41 PM
IHBB GOD

100% True...
Unread November 20th, 2010, 06:50 PM

This reminds me of that comedy routine where a group of people decide to fight the corrupt power, and only one person follows through and gets punished for it.

Lisa Kudrow's The Comeback. "Valerie Hangs With the Cool Kids" - Valerie's co-stars decide that they are fed up with the way they are being treated, and all the stars of the show decide to go on strike and not go to work. Valerie, relaxing at home the next day, gets a call from her boss, wondering where she is. Everyone is at work but her. Wacky hijinks ensue, along with love, laughter, and life lessons.

Last edited by Sourapplepucker; November 20th, 2010 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Specific example.
Unread November 20th, 2010, 06:51 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourapplepucker View Post
This reminds me of that comedy routine where a group of people decide to fight the corrupt power, and only one person follows through and gets punished for it.
I don't doubt that would possibly happen.
Unread November 20th, 2010, 07:09 PM
IHBB Freak

I don't like the pressure at all. I have a family history of migraines and mine have progressively gotten worse as the sales pressure and threats of write ups and termination have increased. But I can't do anything to change the company or its current culture. And I certainly like being stressed and still getting a paycheck better than being stressed because I can't find a job in this economy to give me a paycheck.

It's really all about compromise. If the poor treatment and threats and all are getting to you, you should probably try to find another job. It's not fair. But realistically it's not going to change.

And to suggest unionizing... I mean... to be fair, we're not exactly talking Norma Rae here.

eta:

I just re-read the original post. We do get something in return for selling - a paycheck. Few retail jobs offer commission and if they do, that's generally your only pay. I've never understood accepting a retail job and then expecting to get paid above your hourly rate for doing the primary duty of the job.

And I, for one, am not capable of not doing my best at anything I do, job in particular. Just because I don't like being threatened for not hitting ridiculous goals doesn't mean I'm ever going to stop trying. If there are any employees that feel that way, they should absolutely find another job. What a sense of entitlement.

Last edited by Propoxy; November 20th, 2010 at 07:18 PM. Reason: had more to add
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Propoxy For This Useful Post:
johnlow71 (November 21st, 2010), jt7985 (November 23rd, 2010)
Unread November 20th, 2010, 07:13 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propoxy View Post
I don't like the pressure at all. I have a family history of migraines and mine have progressively gotten worse as the sales pressure and threats of write ups and termination have increased. But I can't do anything to change the company or its current culture. And I certainly like being stressed and still getting a paycheck better than being stressed because I can't find a job in this economy to give me a paycheck.

It's really all about compromise. If the poor treatment and threats and all are getting to you, you should probably try to find another job. It's not fair. But realistically it's not going to change.

And to suggest unionizing... I mean... to be fair, we're not exactly talking Norma Rae here.

I'm in the process of finding a new job, trust me...but I do know it will be after January 1st. By no means am I asking anyone to unionize. My significant other got fired for something he didn't do because he was TRYING to unionize at his old job...I wouldn't suggest it, ever. Too much work and more stress than working in a store like we are now.

What I'm getting at is, don't let this company hold you by the actual or proverbial balls. We can refuse certain things getting done. I'm tired of 'holy shit, I want to keep a job, I better be perfect in ever aspect.'

blockbuster is making us jump through hoops like we're in a circus.
Unread November 20th, 2010, 09:36 PM
IHBB GOD

my sales have steadily decreased since my SM started skinny dipping in the corporate kool-aid. i sold 2 bundles this week. that is all.

=3
Unread November 20th, 2010, 09:54 PM

In my personal opinion they're isn't much we can do because we do get a paycheck for what we do. If we don't like it they send someone else to do your job

what I have started doing is I have stop caring. I don't give 100 percent everyday when i go in. I just work,hit 80 percent if goals and i'm out. Stop giving that extra 110 percent that we always give.

My biggest thing is just to kiss up to RFID and dms. Yeah you want to look good but don't stick your head in their asses when they come to visit. In alll honesty just keep it real. My RDO knows my uniformed opinion on our company,but the only he gives a shit about is cleanliness and sales goals.
Unread November 20th, 2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your_Mans View Post
In my personal opinion they're isn't much we can do because we do get a paycheck for what we do. If we don't like it they send someone else to do your job

what I have started doing is I have stop caring. I don't give 100 percent everyday when i go in. I just work,hit 80 percent if goals and i'm out. Stop giving that extra 110 percent that we always give.

My biggest thing is just to kiss up to RFID and dms. Yeah you want to look good but don't stick your head in their asses when they come to visit. In alll honesty just keep it real. My RDO knows my uniformed opinion on our company,but the only he gives a shit about is cleanliness and sales goals.
I'd like to agree with this but for most of us, we can't NOT give our all at work. Don't get me wrong, everyone has their days where they don't give their all, but for the most part we WANT to care. Even at a job where they abuse us. Up until the end of my time at Blockbuster, I gave my all every day (barring the ocassional day here or there where I wasn't feeling well or whatnot) even after I was transferred to a store I was miserable at, being forced to sell crap to people that didn't want it, etc etc. As much as I wanted to half-ass my efforts, I found that I just couldn't. I'd put my CSR on register to try and get them some sales, wander around the retail section, and before I knew it, I'd be alphabetizing the section.

I agree with keeping on the good side of the DM, but even when I was on my DM's good side, I was still the one who got the sales pressure dumped upon. Even though I always came through in a clutch, I'd get the crap jobs dumped on my when he was around, like scraping the windows clean of all adhesive when my store closed. You could be on good terms with them, but in the end, you're still a replaceable asset.
Unread November 21st, 2010, 12:51 AM

I like your passion. But it would never work. About every other person that works for BB only works there for the paycheck (as sad as it may be) or the free movies and have a other side job.
My DM said that even HR was completely behind the sales goals that they post. So who do you really have to complain to inside the company? Nobody.
Love your rant tho! FTW!