I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread December 4th, 2011, 10:11 PM

I wish there was a mom n pop video store near me...i'd totally be trying to work there...the closest one to me is about half an hour away and I dont think they hire employees/I think they are run by a husband/wife combo...maybe I should check into that.

I love indy/mom n pop stores though, just the feel of them..im actually working on a website dedicated to them, im hoping to get links to websites of, maybe some pictures, and some reviews...so yeah its kind of a hobby :-D
Unread December 5th, 2011, 02:05 AM
IHBB GOD

Why not start an indy video store of your own?
Unread December 5th, 2011, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djblade View Post
rental or you sell it to them
Whatever the customer wants...mostly it's sold to them.
Unread December 5th, 2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloItsMeMOM View Post
Why not start an indy video store of your own?
Ive actually thought about it when I graduate University, it would be an awesome job, but until then I guess I just have to keep an eye out
Unread December 5th, 2011, 01:45 PM

Well the local buys just now came down right when I left and they are laughable. I've had people calling/asking for 2 months for The Help and we're getting 6 blurays. That beats the other local buys from Tuesday-we have 3 30 Minutes Or Less regular dvd and 2 bluray. I understand that the prp for the local buys are not selling like they want but this is getting ridiculous. My store rents the MOST bluray in our district and we still get this anemic buy.
Unread December 5th, 2011, 04:40 PM
IHBB GOD

You guys don't know about Kansas? The blockbusters over their are doing buy-backs. You can actually profit from it! People and employees are doing it. You can make over a $1,000 in a day. Do you guys want details?
Unread December 5th, 2011, 04:53 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShooter87 View Post
Ive actually thought about it when I graduate University, it would be an awesome job, but until then I guess I just have to keep an eye out
Owning a store isn't a job, it is an adventure.
Unread December 5th, 2011, 04:53 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djblade View Post
You guys don't know about Kansas? The blockbusters over their are doing buy-backs. You can actually profit from it! People and employees are doing it. You can make over a $1,000 in a day. Do you guys want details?
Yes, please share.
Unread December 6th, 2011, 04:38 PM

There are actually three markets that are doing buy backs; Kansas is just one. Due to changes made throughout the testing of the program, its impossible to make $1000 profit anymore. I traded approximately 150 pieces today and made a whopping $78 dollars.

Basically stores in the three test markets are buying the product that are normally local buy purchases from employees and customers, usually at $1-3 above WalMart's advertised price...the combo pack buy back for The Help was actually $2 less than the sale price so some people lost money today.

Trust me when I say that, other than not having to go out at midnight to purchase the product, there is zero benefit for the stores participating in the test. Its supported by checks sent in the SM's name for astronomically large amounts. Not only is it not safe to be walking around with that much money when going to and from the bank, but the bank fills out a Suspicious Activity Report on the SM every time they cash a check over $10,000. You have to open at 9am to start accepting trades so you can have your allocation processed prior to 10am. You're usually breaking up fights between customers on who got there first because we inevitably run out of money before 10am. We don't get to keep any product over our local buy allocation. It all gets shipped to the online distribution. Its a ton of extra work, hassle and headache to supposedly save the company money on shipping...I still haven't figured out how paying over the purchase price only to ship the product out actually saves on shipping.

So for example, let's say, hypothetically, that we accepted 350 copies of Hangover 2 today. We couldn't keep any more than our allocation of 30. The other 320 go to online.

It would be one thing if they gave us extra labor, but they don't. This is by far the stupidest thing I've ever done for this company.
Unread December 6th, 2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowImNothing View Post
There are actually three markets that are doing buy backs; Kansas is just one. Due to changes made throughout the testing of the program, its impossible to make $1000 profit anymore. I traded approximately 150 pieces today and made a whopping $78 dollars.

Basically stores in the three test markets are buying the product that are normally local buy purchases from employees and customers, usually at $1-3 above WalMart's advertised price...the combo pack buy back for The Help was actually $2 less than the sale price so some people lost money today.

Trust me when I say that, other than not having to go out at midnight to purchase the product, there is zero benefit for the stores participating in the test. Its supported by checks sent in the SM's name for astronomically large amounts. Not only is it not safe to be walking around with that much money when going to and from the bank, but the bank fills out a Suspicious Activity Report on the SM every time they cash a check over $10,000. You have to open at 9am to start accepting trades so you can have your allocation processed prior to 10am. You're usually breaking up fights between customers on who got there first because we inevitably run out of money before 10am. We don't get to keep any product over our local buy allocation. It all gets shipped to the online distribution. Its a ton of extra work, hassle and headache to supposedly save the company money on shipping...I still haven't figured out how paying over the purchase price only to ship the product out actually saves on shipping.

So for example, let's say, hypothetically, that we accepted 350 copies of Hangover 2 today. We couldn't keep any more than our allocation of 30. The other 320 go to online.

It would be one thing if they gave us extra labor, but they don't. This is by far the stupidest thing I've ever done for this company.
So that explains the box of unopened Harry Potter our store received and was told to hold onto. We got a communication yesterday that we are to take these back to the store for store credit towards our next local buy. Mind you, receipts are sent to the DM right after the local buy is complete so if you do return these without a receipt, it's your id # that is going into the stores system limiting you if you have a legit return of your own without a receipt (since most places only allow 2 per year). So not only are they paying for the product, they are paying for it to be shipped to an online dc, then online dc is shipping them back out to other stores so that the other stores can then spend labor to go and get it credited back. Makes a whole hell of a lot of sense to me.