I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Announcements, Letters and Classic Threads > Announcements

Unread March 2nd, 2013, 09:44 AM

I could throw around $15 from time to time as well. If you think about it, how many more months' worth of service would we have to donate before the remaining BB stores were closed? There are only 500 left and BB still posted a $4 million loss, and that's even taking into account the money they've made from liquidating countless other stores.

Having said that, I would personally like to see the site keep running through the "end" of BB's reign (at least in terms of them having stores). If you're willing to keep the site running through the end of March, I honestly don't think we'd have to donate to keep the site running for very many more months -- I would guess that next September will bring the liquidations of the remaining 500 stores.

I think if we hold out just a few more months, we can see the site through to the end of BB's physical presence. :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to SpiceCake For This Useful Post:
inkedangel (March 2nd, 2013)
Unread March 2nd, 2013, 12:20 PM
IHBB GOD

Send a message via AIM to AbandonedDreams
Chris, I'm with RK. It was a good run but those of us who want to keep in touch with each other are all together on facebook now. Aside from Zoo, HH, Kaw, me, SpiceCake, occasionally Mom or RK, and a few other "here and there" posters, there really is no one here. The spamming only happened because we were trying to reach our goals before the end. If you had just shut down one day with no notice, only a handful of people would have even noticed. I'm pretty sure SpiceCake is the only one who comes here for insider info anymore. In fact, several people we told that the end was coming said that they had forgotten about the forums.

Thanks for making this a place to remember.
Unread March 2nd, 2013, 02:17 PM
The Owner & Grand Poobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbandonedDreams View Post
Chris, I'm with RK. It was a good run but those of us who want to keep in touch with each other are all together on facebook now. Aside from Zoo, HH, Kaw, me, SpiceCake, occasionally Mom or RK, and a few other "here and there" posters, there really is no one here. The spamming only happened because we were trying to reach our goals before the end. If you had just shut down one day with no notice, only a handful of people would have even noticed. I'm pretty sure SpiceCake is the only one who comes here for insider info anymore. In fact, several people we told that the end was coming said that they had forgotten about the forums.

Hey, I created a "I Hate Blockbuster" FB page...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/I-Hate...ref=ts&fref=ts
Unread March 2nd, 2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbandonedDreams View Post

You are right -- I probably am the only one who visits the forum for insider information. With me being a customer and not an employee, I guess I just have a different perspective from everybody else. I guess what sucks to consider is that, once this site closes, there won't be anywhere else to go for that kind of insider information.

Chris -- is it too early to ask if you've made a decision yet regarding whether you're going to shutter the site or keep it going with donations?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpiceCake For This Useful Post:
inkedangel (March 3rd, 2013), johnlow71 (March 2nd, 2013)
Unread March 2nd, 2013, 07:26 PM
IHBB GOD

Im good here.thanks for the memories.
The Following User Says Thank You to johnlow71 For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (March 2nd, 2013)
Unread March 3rd, 2013, 05:11 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
I would guess that next September will bring the liquidations of the remaining 500 stores.
I've been thinking stuff like this for the last couple of years. You follow the trend line and logically think that it's nearly the end, but somehow the thing manages to stay alive.

It doesn't look like many of the remaining members still work for the company, and so what attention the board sees is rarely paid to what it's "meant" for (as far as employees are concerned). I recognize the desire to keep your past with you as long as possible, but $15 at this point would be like buying a Rewards program and then only coming in twice a year.

If a message board is left too far beyond its purpose, and remains open too long after its users have drifted away from it, it gets too sad. That's what will happen here if we let Blockbuster's lifespan dictate our own. None of us should ever let Blockbuster dictate any part of our lives, especially the things we enjoy.

I would love to see our community end on its own terms, with its biggest supporters all there to say goodbye.
It drops the movie in the bin or else it gets the fee again.
PUT THE FUCKING MOVIE IN THE FUCKING BASKET.
The Following User Says Thank You to Antithesys For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (March 3rd, 2013)
Unread March 3rd, 2013, 09:38 AM

I guess I just figured that it wouldn't hurt to keep the site open a little longer, even if just for the sake of discussing/announcing current events. It seems like, as Blockbuster's performance worsens every month, Dish becomes more and more reluctant to announce news items (case in point: I had to learn of the most recent round of store closures on the forum, and news outlets seemed to learn of it later only as an afterthought). Also, the news organizations report BB news in a very one-sided manner ("According to Dish, the closings are a way to..."), whereas a more reality-based perspective is presented when those developments are discussed here.

I guess that I just didn't think of the notion of continuing the site to be on all that deep of a level -- to me, it's just a case of, "Oh sure, I'll toss in 15 bucks to keep the site running another month." Hey, you know how the saying goes -- if someone else is paying, who's complaining? :-)

I'll throw in $15 for April, if necessary -- I honestly don't think BB can last too much longer.