I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread May 7th, 2007, 10:33 PM

If you don't sell Bill a Total Access, you'll probably get written up.

hah... I was joking... sorta. you'll love it overall (if you enjoy movies), but it's the little things that will make you start a site like this one.
Unread May 7th, 2007, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooworker View Post
J There is a lot to learn, don't think it is an easy job, you are going to be presurred for sales all the time. Goodluck.
yea they bug the hell outta us to sell, but this is a very easy job. its only hard to the retards who cant do 2 things at the sametime.
Customers, when you think about it, really have a lot in common with zombies. First of all, one by itself is not a problem, it can be dealt with easily. The real threat comes from their ability to overwhelm you with their sheer numbers. They tend not to move very fast, and they don't think for themselves very much
Unread May 7th, 2007, 10:43 PM
IHBB GOD

I personally have no problem with selling. When I am training a CSR first thing I teach them is you will get a lot of no's. I use this method......

Our active members are 4800, so thats what every 30 days. So we see 4800 different people a month. So if you parlay that down that is 1200 different people a week.

So only 1 of every 80 needs to say yes to Online signup to reach goal [15]
So only 1 of every 30 needs to say yes to snak card to reach our goal [40]
so only 1 of every 60 needs to say yes to rewards to reach out goal [20]

etc etc for whatever. So i tell them ok, so for every 3 yes's you need to potentially hear 170 no's. So never get discouraged, because you just need those few that say yes.

It is slightly flawed logic, but it does help put it in perspective for them and they learn not to give up.

That way when they are new they dont feel like losers because so many people say no, because when you think about it, we all get that many no's we are just immune to it now, the newbies arent.
Unread May 7th, 2007, 11:09 PM
IHBB GOD

Allow me to quote a good friend of mine on Blockbuster (she knows who she is, and she's also a member of this site!)

"Welcome to the thunderdome!"

The interviewing process, I think, differs. I don't know how different the process was from now to what it was a year ago, but when I got hired, I was interviewed by the SM, at orientation (boring) that next Saturday, and at work the following Monday.

I've only been working for this machine for a little over a year, but here are some helpful hints:
  • UPSELL UPSELL UPSELL! If you get mystery shopped, and didn't offer an upsell, expect to be bitched at. A lot. And if you get a bad score on your first shop, you'll have to get three more good scores to make up for that and gain the trust back from your management team. If you fuck up, the managers fucked up.
  • If you buy a drink or food, keep the receipt (ie, wrap you receipt around your soda with a rubber band or tape). If LP comes in and see's it without a receipt, you may be fired on the spot. I've seen it happen.
  • Online mailers are only to be used for the customer they came from. If they don't redeem them, check them in. Right away. Don't use them for yourself or even to gain a new Online subscription to get brownie points. LP will fire you for that, too.
  • Stay on top of your modules. It will bite you in the ass if you don't, even 8 months later. Just happened to me recently. I spent six hours catching up.
  • Make friends with your fellow CSRs. Make better friends with your managers, especially the SM. Hell, even push to get on your DL's good side. Hate to say it, but even BB is guilty of favoritsm within stores.
  • Don't do credits, no matter how insignificant they may be. Call your MOD over to do them.
  • Go slow. Prevents a hellavalotta credits.
  • Don't request off all the time, and work your scheduled shifts. You work around your job, not the other way around. Thats life.
  • Don't bitch about not getting any hours, then refuse to work last-minute shifts. Spontaniously agreeing to cover a shift earns you serious brownie points with whoever does the schedule at your store (usually the SM or ASM). As time passes, you'll notice more hours for you and less for your lazy coworkers.
  • Before you finish your shift, have all the returns that came back on YOUR shift checked in and back on the shelf. Do this, and your opposite shift will return the favor.
  • Try not to fuck any of your coworkers. I've read way too many horror stories on this site about that.
That's all i've got for now. Follow those rules and you should be okay
Love each and every one of you. Thank you for years of great memories!!!!!!!
Unread May 7th, 2007, 11:12 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantheman View Post
Allow me to quote a good friend of mine on Blockbuster (she knows who she is, and she's also a member of this site!)

"Welcome to the thunderdome!"

The interviewing process, I think, differs. I don't know how different the process was from now to what it was a year ago, but when I got hired, I was interviewed by the SM, at orientation (boring) that next Saturday, and at work the following Monday.

I've only been working for this machine for a little over a year, but here are some helpful hints:
  • UPSELL UPSELL UPSELL! If you get mystery shopped, and didn't offer an upsell, expect to be bitched at. A lot. And if you get a bad score on your first shop, you'll have to get three more good scores to make up for that and gain the trust back from your management team. If you fuck up, the managers fucked up.
  • If you buy a drink or food, keep the receipt (ie, wrap you receipt around your soda with a rubber band or tape). If LP comes in and see's it without a receipt, you may be fired on the spot. I've seen it happen.
  • Online mailers are only to be used for the customer they came from. If they don't redeem them, check them in. Right away. Don't use them for yourself or even to gain a new Online subscription to get brownie points. LP will fire you for that, too.
  • Stay on top of your modules. It will bite you in the ass if you don't, even 8 months later. Just happened to me recently. I spent six hours catching up.
  • Make friends with your fellow CSRs. Make better friends with your managers, especially the SM. Hell, even push to get on your DL's good side. Hate to say it, but even BB is guilty of favoritsm within stores.
  • Don't do credits, no matter how insignificant they may be. Call your MOD over to do them.
  • Go slow. Prevents a hellavalotta credits.
  • Don't request off all the time, and work your scheduled shifts. You work around your job, not the other way around. Thats life.
  • Don't bitch about not getting any hours, then refuse to work last-minute shifts. Spontaniously agreeing to cover a shift earns you serious brownie points with whoever does the schedule at your store (usually the SM or ASM). As time passes, you'll notice more hours for you and less for your lazy coworkers.
  • Before you finish your shift, have all the returns that came back on YOUR shift checked in and back on the shelf. Do this, and your opposite shift will return the favor.
  • Try not to fuck any of your coworkers. I've read way too many horror stories on this site about that.
That's all i've got for now. Follow those rules and you should be okay
Very good Bran, now I have to fire all of my csr's
The top Poster!
Unread May 7th, 2007, 11:32 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooworker View Post
Very good Bran, now I have to fire all of my csr's
Yeah, yeah. Most of 'em are already breaking those rules. But hey, if we start them off right maybe things can get better!
Unread May 10th, 2007, 04:00 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmarius View Post
Well, I got hired!
Welcome... to the machine....
Unread May 10th, 2007, 04:11 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Well, I got hired! I have training this saturday in portland, and next week so far my SM only gave me Tuesday 1-4 and Sun 6-9pm, she said at first it will be lighter training and then the week after it'll get heavier.

I'm not worried about the job, I've done way harsher work, this is truly cake for me, but every job is different and has different demands. 7.80 wage sucks, but I always tell myself that at least I'm not in a place like Utah where it's 5.25 or so, and hey, being a full time college student, I can't really dedicate to a more responsibility filled occupation anyway.
You know -- you're saying cake now, but after working at Blockbuster, you'll quickly realize that in relation to what you're doing, the idiots that pass through a video store surpass everyone else. My uncle once asked me, "People complain in a video store? What do they complain about?" My answer: "Everything!"

Sunday night is pretty cool -- in most stores it's the third busiest night of the week (saturday is the busiest, followed by friday, then sunday.)

After Sunday, I'd probably say Tuesday, then Thursday, then it's definitely a toss up between Monday and Wednesday for slowest.

However, this can all dramatically change based on your area, and the weather, and other factors. But, that's just how it was for me at both stores that I worked at.

I don't know how long you plan on working there, but if they make you work a holiday, pick Thanksgiving. It's the slowest day of the year. I worked two thanksgivings (actually, I worked every holiday...) and we just basically cleaned the store, cuz there were no customers. Except for the lady who called up asking if I had any turkey.

*ring ring*
Me: Blockbuster Video...
C: Oh, hello...
Me: Hi
C: Why aren't you eating turkey?
Me: Umm... because I'm at work
C: Alright

Then the conversation got really weird...
Unread May 10th, 2007, 05:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to moonprism Send a message via MSN to moonprism Send a message via Yahoo to moonprism
Quote:
Sales, I hate it, but hey, gotta do it, so you do it..
You think you hate it now...

"One time, I applied for a job renting movies to people and ended up getting hired to be a sales person."
-penguinmike
Unread May 10th, 2007, 10:50 PM
IHBB GOD

Congrats to the OP.

You never know, he may love it.

I initially loved my job. Now about 14 months later, I don't necessarily hate it, but I certainly don't love it, either. It's an interesting job. It can be challenging...at times. I have a great staff. I'm comfortable. I know what the hell i'm doing. You never know, the OP may end up the same way.

Of course, your job does a complete 180 when you go from a CSR to management. Mostly for the better.