I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread December 31st, 2010, 12:15 PM

Cutting the entire DM level is the most brilliant thing they could do.

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Blockbuster's positions, strategies, or opinion.
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies, or opinion.
Unread December 31st, 2010, 02:44 PM
IHBB Freak

Actually, I think cutting DMs is a terrible idea. Perhaps consolidating districts and having fewer DMs would be a good idea, but stores wouldn't work without a DM.

There needs to be someone to deal with all the direct from corporate bullshit and filter it to stores. There also needs to be accountability in stores on everything from TNR to MAP. It's all well and good to say stores can run by themselves with Box Office, but I can't tell you the number of stores I've been in that can't even seem to set up an endcap properly. There needs to be a central person to handle issues, someone more local than the RDO. We don't need DMs in stores every week (well, some stores might benefit from that) but we do need them.
Unread December 31st, 2010, 03:31 PM
IHBB GOD

Cut out the RDO's, all they do is stroll the store and talk on the cell phone.
The top Poster!
Unread December 31st, 2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooworker View Post
Cut out the RDO's, all they do is stroll the store and talk on the cell phone.
Not to mention they don't know anything about the stores or whats actually going on.

Heard a story that an RDO came into a store and saw that giant bag of popcornopolis and just shoved his hand to try it, and was amazed when someone told him that they sent gloves to touch the food so it wont get contaminated.
Unread December 31st, 2010, 05:33 PM

while i do think one of the two positions (RDO/DM) is necessary, I do think they could be combined/streamlined
Unread December 31st, 2010, 08:40 PM
IHBB GOD

RDM, Regional District Manager
The top Poster!
Unread January 1st, 2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propoxy View Post
Actually, I think cutting DMs is a terrible idea. Perhaps consolidating districts and having fewer DMs would be a good idea, but stores wouldn't work without a DM.

There needs to be someone to deal with all the direct from corporate bullshit and filter it to stores. There also needs to be accountability in stores on everything from TNR to MAP. It's all well and good to say stores can run by themselves with Box Office, but I can't tell you the number of stores I've been in that can't even seem to set up an endcap properly. There needs to be a central person to handle issues, someone more local than the RDO. We don't need DMs in stores every week (well, some stores might benefit from that) but we do need them.
Setting up endcaps is fairly simple; if a SM can't do it right, they have no business being an SM. Most of the DMs don't understand that not very BB is setup the same way; you can't "cookie cutter" every store and expect them all to look the same. Some endcaps may work in some cities while not working in others.

If the store isn't making money, it needs to close whether it "Makes the Freakin' Day" or not.

2 hours on a dang conference call with a DM to hear him/her say the same thing every week "Push bundles, push T'A's, push PRP, you need to use names, you need to engage, etc etc is complete and utter b.s. We don't need to keep paying out 50,000+ a year and benefits for a DM to say that. It's not effective, efficient, or cost effective.
The Following User Says Thank You to cshdropper For This Useful Post:
BUYMECAR (January 3rd, 2011)
Unread January 1st, 2011, 08:36 PM

I thought when Blockbuster went bankrupt that they would focus on stores making money. When they didn't do that but kept doing the same things that put them bankrupt, I knew it was gonna be a short time before they are gone.

Make the day was a good idea, but went back to pushing the same bull to customers. Instead of helping the customer and meet their needs, we had to push Total Access and bundles.

Blockbuster needed to let managers make decisions for the store. I could have sold tons more items if I had the ability to merchandise to meet the needs of the CUSTOMER!

I should be able to move the Tinkerbell endcap next to the kids/family area, but map said it needed to be on certain endcap location that put it next to horror. WTF! And DM, RDO, and corporate knows better. I should follow MAP to tell me what needs to be merchandised, but give me the choice to where the stuff should go. If its not selling, remerchandise it some where else.

Blockbuster wants every store to look identical. They are going to look that way shortly when they all have a going out of business signs on them.

Its too late. Blockbuster knows best. Sorry to all the employees.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Big Dog For This Useful Post:
AdjectiveZord (January 2nd, 2011), lucky me (January 1st, 2011), omg_bbv (January 2nd, 2011)
Unread January 3rd, 2011, 06:09 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooworker View Post
RDM, Regional District Manager
There are a few fat trollups as RDO's but I wont name any in Cali.
Unread January 4th, 2011, 05:34 AM
IHBB Freak

What they REALLY need to do is hire someone with brilliant ideas. The thing is, they're hiring people who either want to do the same lame thing they've always done, turn it into a flea market, or run it like two other businesses they've run into the ground *DUNLAPcough*

The thing is, no one's quite put their finger on the plan that can save the company. Find someone that does, look far and wide, and if it makes some sort of sense, put him in charge. What's the worst that could happen? Either the course stays and BBV bombs as is inevitable, or the idea saves the company.

And by that, they should probably put one of us in charge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbydanny
If I want the experience of being in the store, let me have it on my own fucking terms.
The Following User Says Thank You to deathbydanny For This Useful Post:
Big Dog (January 4th, 2011)