I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread March 14th, 2013, 07:32 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiceCake View Post
Apparently, they must have really thought that they'd make the "store model" successful again if they were willing to trouble themselves with painstakingly poring over the details of every lease agreement for all the stores they had at the time, only to end up closing 2/3 of the stores not even two years later.

I think that the next round of closings will see the end of the stores. If you think about it, every closing round has seen the demise of at least 300-500 stores, and now, there are less than 500 -- so if they close the same number of stores with the next round that they've been closing each time, then this will be it. I do, however, think that Dish will hold on to a handful of stores that actually are highly profitable (such as the one left in my town, whose staff claims is the 4th highest-performing BB in the nation), even if just to make a few extra million dollars and to keep the BB brand at least somewhat alive.
4th highest out of 4 stores? IF that is the case then they wouldnt have closed a few stores i know of and kept a few others.
I learned that dreams don’t work without action; I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.
The Following User Says Thank You to DavidNewlySL For This Useful Post:
inkedangel (March 15th, 2013)
Unread March 14th, 2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNewlySL View Post
4th highest out of 4 stores? IF that is the case then they wouldnt have closed a few stores i know of and kept a few others.

I also know that this store's lease doesn't expire until March 2014, as I recall from reading KCCLLC's website back when BB first filed for bankruptcy and was sold. It's probably a combination of the fact that the store is actually making money and that the lease also doesn't expire for another year.
Unread March 15th, 2013, 03:00 AM

Blockbuster will be closing all stores at some point in the near future. Speaking as a store manager of a now closing store. They released a closing checklist for store managers to follow at the end of the process. On this list it says to ship out store closing banners to go forward stores. These stores won't be named until close to the end of the process. Dish did not know how to run this company in the first place. In fact, they did worst than the former owners. Why? They wasted tons of money putting a new face on a bag of crap. If they just filled the stores with movies, labor, and a way to get the word out that blockbuster was not a dead company we wouldn't be in this mess. Alas, I end ten years with the company in April. Looking back, I could say I fought with vigor to save a business that was dying. Dish on the other hand can suck it. They gave it the head shot.
Unread March 15th, 2013, 03:31 AM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Apparently, they must have really thought that they'd make the "store model" successful again if they were willing to trouble themselves with painstakingly poring over the details of every lease agreement for all the stores they had at the time, only to end up closing 2/3 of the stores not even two years later.

I think that the next round of closings will see the end of the stores. If you think about it, every closing round has seen the demise of at least 300-500 stores, and now, there are less than 500 -- so if they close the same number of stores with the next round that they've been closing each time, then this will be it. I do, however, think that Dish will hold on to a handful of stores that actually are highly profitable (such as the one left in my town, whose staff claims is the 4th highest-performing BB in the nation), even if just to make a few extra million dollars and to keep the BB brand at least somewhat alive.

If they close any more stores, they might lose whatever leverage they had negotiating with studios over prices. Once that happens the rental model will probably not be profitable for them anymore. Unless, of course, the managers are still buying the new releases at Walmart.

My guess is that the next round of closures will be the last.
Unread March 15th, 2013, 04:46 AM

Managers are still buying product, but it is only select product. Although, the ones that were coming through vendors have been late getting to the stores. Big titles have been at least a month late.
Unread March 15th, 2013, 05:05 AM

Smile

In other news.... I don't know if anyone here still sees communications anymore. Anyways, the last one I saw threw me for a loop. The company was actually giving an atta boy to a guy who was arrested for putting closing store flyers up. Then I guess this guy was idiotic enough to keep putting flyers up after he was released. Apparently, that was the blockbuster way!
Unread March 15th, 2013, 07:38 AM

The next step for BB is to shutter all remaining stores. There is no relevant need for stores anymore as the rental industry as a whole is dying. I will admit I do miss by BB days but life is so much better now with no stores in my area. Dish just bought the chain to obtain the name and no more and never really intended to keep a single store open.
Unread March 15th, 2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal-el View Post
Managers are still buying product, but it is only select product. Although, the ones that were coming through vendors have been late getting to the stores. Big titles have been at least a month late.
I don't work at BB, but I know that Tomb Raider (the new one that was just released for X360/PS3), which was released on a Tuesday, wasn't delivered to my local store until late Friday. I guess that isn't that big of a deal, but even a year ago, I remember how as soon as a game would be released on a Tuesday, it would be on store shelves by 10 AM without fail.
Unread March 15th, 2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I also know that this store's lease doesn't expire until March 2014, as I recall from reading KCCLLC's website back when BB first filed for bankruptcy and was sold. It's probably a combination of the fact that the store is actually making money and that the lease also doesn't expire for another year.
I worked in the field of property management for over 10 yrs, had my real estate license and was also permitted through the state I lived in to be a property manager... the dates for the expirations mean nothing, they put their termination/renegotiate clause into the lease which over rides any expiration that is on that lease. They didn't put a lot of work into the leases when they bought them because they wanted to, it was required by law to get the details ironed out. Our lease still had 3 yrs to go, didn't matter we closed. Doesn't matter if the store is making money either. Even though it doesn't seem like it, they are being selective with how they handle where and when they close locations. They didn't shut down stores at the front to save face an talk about how many stores and jobs they were able to save. It made them look good and made the employees happy to think the closings may actually be done. It was all for PR.
Unread March 16th, 2013, 09:40 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkedangel View Post
I worked in the field of property management for over 10 yrs, had my real estate license and was also permitted through the state I lived in to be a property manager... the dates for the expirations mean nothing, they put their termination/renegotiate clause into the lease which over rides any expiration that is on that lease. They didn't put a lot of work into the leases when they bought them because they wanted to, it was required by law to get the details ironed out. Our lease still had 3 yrs to go, didn't matter we closed. Doesn't matter if the store is making money either. Even though it doesn't seem like it, they are being selective with how they handle where and when they close locations. They didn't shut down stores at the front to save face an talk about how many stores and jobs they were able to save. It made them look good and made the employees happy to think the closings may actually be done. It was all for PR.
Even if the lease is still active, they can be cheaper than running a store..
The top Poster!