I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread May 14th, 2009, 05:44 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullcapComix View Post
Ok so this is a little late, but i wanted to ask it anyways.

I am a store manager in the Chicago-land area. now I know we all remember in march or so when the store hours changed, and we couldn't order supplies anymore, and they cut our labor by a HUGE amount and wanted managers to work closing shifts by themselves and all that blah blah blah....

Well, around that time, our DM told us that as a company directive, all store managers were EXPECTED to work 55-60 hours a week, rather then the 42 we are normally expected to work. He told us this was passed down from our RDO and from corporate, and that if we didn't like it we could seek other employment. He told us EVERY district was doing this, to help save on labor, seeing as they don't pay us past 40 hours a week, so that's 15-20 free hours of labor a week per store for Blockbuster. Well anyways, I was talking to some other managers in another district I worked in before this one, and was informed they were NEVER told about this. They all worked their 40 hours a week and never heard anything about it, it never even came up.

Now, my DM sets some rather unrealistic goals for the district, and likes to suck up to the RDO to get favoritism... And it seems like (and always seemed like) he was making that up so he could come in under labor budget and brag about all the money his district was saving. After March he told us that if we could "stay under budget for labor while working 42-45 hours a wee again, then we COULD work 42-45 again... but if we couldn't, then we still HAD to work 55-60."

Was anyone else told this? Isn't that kind of bull shit?

In a related topic, I thought it was HILARIOUS they had me closing there alone (I wasn't about to have my other staff close alone, in case something DID happen, I would feel like a douche forever, so I did all those shifts myself)... and yet they still harp on us EVERY TIME Loss prevention comes up, that we HAVE to do staggered exits (letting one employee leave and go to the car at a time to prevent "bad things" from happening). How was I supposed to do a staggered exit by myself? I'm almost CERTAIN, that HAD something happened, and I had been robbed, I would have been fired on the spot as many past managers have been, for not following proper closing procedure. And seeing as the closing alone was never WRITTEN anywhere or in S.O.P., I'm pretty sure I'm right.

I swear... Bankruptcy could be the BEST thing to ever happen to BBI.... we could get someone in charge who KNOWS HOW to run a business. Keys' fountain of good intentions and "good ideas" and Kurrikoff's hilarious racist comments aren't enough to run this company, and never were.
I'm not sure I beleive any of this.

First you dont even know who you work for.

who are Key's and Kurrikoff's

If you dont even know that much you sure as hell cant accurately portray what someone told you. If you truly are a sm [this im doubting], and you cant even recall your top brass's names I doubt you could recall the conversation correctly.

I see it something like this::::
If you guys can run your stores and get everything done work your 42-45 hours. I suggest you get your people up to speed and doing there jobs. You dont want to have to be the one working 55-60 hours because your staff isnt getting it done. My expectation is your stores are run properly, getting sales, and clean and organized. Make sure it happens.
Unread May 14th, 2009, 09:13 PM
IHBB Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to videoslave23
I remember when I worked there that if you closed the store alone that was grounds for dismissal for LP reasons. (Unless it was some sudden emergency and the DM knew about it). I was always required to work between 42-45 hrs. per week, but with all the expectations and the volume of my store I rarely worked less than 50 anyway.
Unread May 14th, 2009, 09:25 PM
IHBB GOD

When i used to work there the most i ever worked in 1 week was 168 hours.

Was a long week.
Unread May 15th, 2009, 10:15 AM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBVcasualposter View Post
When i used to work there the most i ever worked in 1 week was 168 hours.

Was a long week.
How is that possible? There's 168 hrs in a week, I don't think anyone would be in a store for 7 days straight, 24/7...what were you doing that you were there that long if you were?
Unread May 15th, 2009, 11:59 AM
IHBB GOD

He would be dead lol
Unread May 15th, 2009, 06:03 PM
IHBB GOD

he may not have the greatest sense of humor, but it was obviously a joke folks =/
Unread May 16th, 2009, 08:44 AM
IHBB GOD

O he has the greatest sense known to mankind.

I'm amazed at the simplicity of forethought.
Unread May 16th, 2009, 02:36 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBVcasualposter View Post
O he has the greatest sense known to mankind.

I'm amazed at the simplicity of forethought.

damnit. forgive my retardedness as it's been a hell of a week. simple thoughts were too complex this week to comprehend. Parents shouldn't bury their children.
Unread May 16th, 2009, 08:28 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
damnit. forgive my retardedness as it's been a hell of a week. simple thoughts were too complex this week to comprehend. Parents shouldn't bury their children.
um, what?
Unread May 17th, 2009, 08:27 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sar94pga View Post
um, what?
I second this motion