I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread February 6th, 2012, 02:54 PM
IHBB GOD

Blockbuster Express Sold To Redbox

Dear Valued Customer,

NCR, which operates your Blockbuster Express kiosks, has entered into an agreement to sell its kiosks and other assets to Redbox. Until the transaction is completed (we anticipate in the third quarter of 2012), you will continue to enjoy the convenience, choice, and value you're used to from BLOCKBUSTER Express. Until the sale is completed, we will continue to run the business as we have been, focused on bringing you the latest New Release movies with most titles only $2 for the first night. You'll also notice that we've increased our In-Stock Guarantee value so you will now enjoy a movie night on us with a value of up to $3 if we don't have the New Release movie you want in stock.

As a reminder, we still have 100s of great movies available at $1 and additional nights of all movies are still only $1, all part of preserving an exceptional value for an affordable night of entertainment.

We'll continue to provide you with information on any changes that result from this recent announcement but for now we just wanted to say thanks for being our customer.

Sincerely,

Justin Hotard

General Manager

Even the Devil, which is the main share holder of blockbuster is saying you guys are making me look bad!

Horse Power is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Unread February 6th, 2012, 02:56 PM

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-57372197-261/redbox-pays-$100-million-for-ncrs-blockbuster-express/

Redbox announced today that it has acquired the assets NCR's entertainment business for $100 million.

Redbox will bolster its movie-kiosk business by acquiring Blockbuster Express.
(Credit: Redbox)
NCR is a company that specializes in automatic teller machines and retail kiosks. If you used one of those self-serve ticket kiosks at an airport, chances are you've used an NCR product. The company began operating more than 10,000 Blockbluster Express DVD kiosks after acquiring the brand from the original Blockbuster video rental service (Blockbuster went bankrupt and was acquired last year by the Dish Network).

According to the press release issued by Redbox and Coinstar, the transaction is subject to regulatory approval and is expected to close in the third quarter of 2012.

"The acquisition includes the purchase of the DVD kiosks, certain retailer contracts, and DVD inventory," Redbox and parent company Coinstar said in a statement. "In connection with the asset purchase, Coinstar and NCR also will enter into a strategic supplier arrangement where Coinstar will purchase product and services from NCR."

Redbox is doubling down on DVDs at a time when Netflix is acting as if discs are all but dead. During a conference call two weeks ago, following Netflix's fourth-quarter earnings report, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings told analysts: "We expect DVD subscribers to decline steadily every quarter, forever."

Hastings came close to spinning off his DVD operations under a different brand (Qwikster) last year and has said repeatedly the future of video rentals is to stream them via the Web. Some analysts and Netflix critics have cautioned that plenty of people still want DVDs.

It's safe to say Coinstar and Redbox are among them.

More to come
Unread February 6th, 2012, 02:57 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by movieking View Post
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-57372197-261/redbox-pays-$100-million-for-ncrs-blockbuster-express/
NCR is a company that specializes in automatic teller machines and retail kiosks. If you used one of those self-serve ticket kiosks at an airport, chances are you've used an NCR product. The company began operating more than 10,000 Blockbluster Express DVD kiosks after acquiring the brand from the original Blockbuster video rental service (Blockbuster went bankrupt and was acquired last year by the Dish Network).
According to the press release issued by Redbox and Coinstar, the transaction is subject to regulatory approval and is expected to close in the third quarter of 2012.
"The acquisition includes the purchase of the DVD kiosks, certain retailer contracts, and DVD inventory," Redbox and parent company Coinstar said in a statement. "In connection with the asset purchase, Coinstar and NCR also will enter into a strategic supplier arrangement where Coinstar will purchase product and services from NCR."
Redbox is doubling down on DVDs at a time when Netflix is acting as if discs are all but dead. During a conference call two weeks ago, following Netflix's fourth-quarter earnings report, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings told analysts: "We expect DVD subscribers to decline steadily every quarter, forever."
Hastings came close to spinning off his DVD operations under a different brand (Qwikster) last year and has said repeatedly the future of video rentals is to stream them via the Web. Some analysts and Netflix critics have cautioned that plenty of people still want DVDs.
It's safe to say Coinstar and Redbox are among them.
Of course, Redbox is also joining forces with Verizon to create an on-demand video streaming service similar to Netflix's service. The companies offered few details so it's hard to say what it's chances might be but the joint venture will have to make up a lot of ground.
Hastings is undoubtedly trying to speed up consumer adoption of Web streaming. His company is firmly control of that sector. Netflix is available on hundreds of Web-connected TVs, phones, videogame consoles, and set-top boxes. He's got the audience, with more than 24 million.
For the amount of content Netflix offers, none of his competitors can match his price. Netflix offers all-you-can-eat streaming for $8 per month. Netflix's achilles heel is the company's selection of titles available for streaming. Most are dated. Nonetheless, i doubt that Verizon and Redbox will be able to challenge Netflix any time soon.
They will likely face the same problems that have confronted others Netflix rivals. The major studios and the producers of popular TV shows want to see competitors enter the streaming sector. They just don't want them to offer their most popular shows and films for what Netflix charges.

Even the Devil, which is the main share holder of blockbuster is saying you guys are making me look bad!

Horse Power is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Unread February 6th, 2012, 06:26 PM
IHBB GOD

No way I just invest $500,000 into BlockBuster Express I thought it was the future!

Just playing lol. I don't see this having an effect on the our customers really. When people think of BlockBuster, they think Online or the stores. RedBox is going bankrupt soon or later

Last edited by djblade; February 7th, 2012 at 02:05 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djblade For This Useful Post:
Ghost of AtlanticVamp (February 18th, 2012), johnlow71 (February 7th, 2012)
Unread February 6th, 2012, 07:03 PM

DJBlade, do you actually think that Blockbuster's stores are actually going to outperform/outlast Redbox's kiosks?

Remember how, back when Dish first purchased Blockbuster out of bankruptcy, there was the talk of how they (Dish) had whittled down the total number of stores to the 1,500 that were actually making money? Now they're down to 950 -- and let me guess, those are the 950 profitable stores that they want to continue to operate for "at least a decade?"

Just out of curiosity, how many additional store closure rounds have to occur before Dish decides that it would actually make more sense to just liquidate all of the remaining stores and focus their resources on making their streaming operation successful?

IMO, if Redbox offered their own proprietary variation of the "Combo Pass" and included some sort of points/rewards system with it, the next round of Blockbuster store closings would be occurring very soon.

Consider a plan where you pay one monthly fee and can keep any one or two movies or games (they'd probably charge a higher monthly rate for games) out at a time, depending on what plan you're paying for, and you can exchange your movies/games at ANY Redbox kiosk. It's essentially what Blockbuster offers with their pass plan but would provide the service with greater convenience.
The Following User Says Thank You to SpiceCake For This Useful Post:
Baby Firefly (February 8th, 2012)
Unread February 7th, 2012, 02:36 AM
IHBB GOD

:O shut the front door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to johnlow71 For This Useful Post:
inkedangel (February 7th, 2012)
Unread February 7th, 2012, 05:42 AM

7 companies on the ropes in 2012-Today's MSN story.-This could help boost Redbox or video stores. I'm still seeing big traffic in my store.

Netflix

We all loved Netflix (NFLX) when it freed us from the tyranny of Blockbuster's late fees with a simple DVD-by-mail service. But the love affair is fading. As viewers turn to online streaming video, the red envelopes and DVDs seem quaint -- or worse.... More

Netflix, of course, offers a quality online video service. But the paradigm shift to streaming video is going to be rough on this company in 2012, for two reasons.

First, the change exposes Netflix to a lot more competitors -- from Amazon.com (AMZN), Apple (AAPL) and Google (GOOG), to sites like Hulu and Vudu, says James Angel, a professor of finance at Georgetown University's McDonough School of Business. Amazon Prime, for example, offers streaming video (not to mention quicker shipping on retail items) for just $79 a year, which is less than Netflix. Netflix customers, still miffed by a surprise price hike made and then rescinded during 2011, are all too happy to convert. Cable companies, meanwhile, are beefing up their video-on-demand offerings.

The other big challenge for 2012 is that the shift to streaming video will make content a lot more expensive for Netflix. With DVDs, Netfix had a great deal. It had to pay only for the discs, then rent them as often as possible without paying any extra revenue to movie studios and TV networks. Now it's payback time. Streaming means content providers can negotiate higher prices by playing competitors against each other, says Michael Corty of Morningstar. "We see a greater portion of the economic profits shifting to the content owners," he says.

Netflix says it will see plenty of growth from international expansion. But it will come at a huge cost in infrastructure, and analysts aren't convinced it will pay off. Ominously, Netflix recently ambushed investors by announcing an expected loss for all of 2012, instead of just the first half. That could foretell even worse news for Netflix in the coming year.
Unread February 7th, 2012, 09:58 AM
IHBB Freak

Hey, instead of being kinda competition, those blue kiosks are now full blown competition to Blockbuster.
Unread February 7th, 2012, 01:19 PM
IHBB Freak

DIsh wanted nothing to do with them anyways, im not surprised by this at all.
I learned that dreams don’t work without action; I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.
Unread February 7th, 2012, 01:25 PM

Some dumbass will probably walk in the front door and go hey so I heard redbox bought you guys hur hur hur...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MarkusAurelias For This Useful Post:
D Money (February 7th, 2012), Glass Half Empty (February 8th, 2012), inkedangel (February 7th, 2012), MaximusX7 (February 7th, 2012)