I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread July 11th, 2011, 06:04 PM

unemployment and closing stores

If we are offered a transfer, but it is to a location outside of your county, city, or even state is there a way to garuntee you get laid off so you can collect benefits? I am scared to death I will be inelligible for unemployment and I think they are going to offer everyone transfers to avoid paying employees unemployment.

What can/should I do?

What do I need to know?
The Following User Says Thank You to Ebenonce For This Useful Post:
muthaflippin (July 11th, 2011)
Unread July 11th, 2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebenonce View Post
If we are offered a transfer, but it is to a location outside of your county, city, or even state is there a way to garuntee you get laid off so you can collect benefits? I am scared to death I will be inelligible for unemployment and I think they are going to offer everyone transfers to avoid paying employees unemployment.

What can/should I do?

What do I need to know?
Best thing to do would be call your unemployment office. They will validate your claim. I know in De if BBV/Dish chooses to contest it, they have to go to court. My guess is they probably wont.

My only choice was to go to another district altogether, and the other DM vetoed it. They wanted to keep their sales manager.
Unread July 11th, 2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:

What can/should I do?

What do I need to know?
yes, if they offer you a transfer, even if it is a crap one, they can fight unemployment. I went thru a closing, that is the only reason I know. Had a csr just say he would go on unemployment and our dl (who is one of the rare on our side kind cause he started ib stores as a csr) laid it out there for the csr.
Unread July 11th, 2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:

What can/should I do?

What do I need to know?
If they offer you a transfer and you dont take it, they can fight the unemployment because technically you were offered a position even if it is a crap one. I came from a closing store, that is the only reason I know for sure. We had a csr who said they just wanted to get the unemployment. He was told that if he was offered a position and declined it he got nothing. The sm didnt get told till 5 days before closing as to if they were being offered a transfer but everyone else was told 2 weeks before closing
Unread July 12th, 2011, 03:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to Baby Firefly
Ha! Our DL wouldn't let anyone from the closing stores transfer to stores in her district because she said staff from the liquidation stores were so soured on BB that their attitudes would pretty much suck and bring down morale. One part timer somehow managed it, but there was a ban on the rest of us. Not that I was complaining.
Unread July 12th, 2011, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Firefly View Post
Ha! Our DL wouldn't let anyone from the closing stores transfer to stores in her district because she said staff from the liquidation stores were so soured on BB that their attitudes would pretty much suck and bring down morale. One part timer somehow managed it, but there was a ban on the rest of us. Not that I was complaining.
Oh, its totally true!! LOL I would not have taken anything, super serious.
Ill be giving my dm by new business card when he comes in today.
The Following User Says Thank You to muthaflippin For This Useful Post:
Baby Firefly (July 12th, 2011)
Unread July 12th, 2011, 12:41 PM

Depending on your state and its laws. Each state is different, if you do get laid off and its out of your control. UE is almost certain in your case, however do be aware those numbnuts hire a company to do their UE claims for them. 90% of the time they will try to find a reason not to pay and appeal your case.

Also I said this to another member that was in a similar situation. Use the powers of the interweb and you should be ok.. Good luck

"If you got a resume handy, put it on Monster and Careerbuilder. Then make small edits to it each week. What it will do is put your resume on top of all the employers searches, so you dont have to pay the fee. So depending how good your resume is, you should be getting some calls"
Unread July 17th, 2011, 08:17 AM

Can anyone tell me how I would go about disputing my "Non-Rehire" status?..who would I contact? the DM of the District? if anyone wants more specific details feel free to PM me, and I will fully explain the situation
Unread July 17th, 2011, 02:32 PM

As someone pointed out, it depends on your state.

Where *I* live, the transfer has to be within a reasonable distance. One of my good friends still is fighting the good fight at BBV and they yanked the rug out from under him for the 6th time. Now they offered him a transfer to a store 150 miles away. He can collect unemployment if he decides not to take it. I'm trying to get him to bail out and collect the UE. It's killing him to close one store after another.
The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. -Richard Dawkins from The God Delusion

SPAY AND / OR NEUTER YOUR ANIMALS: Please watch this...
Clicky
The Following User Says Thank You to Meltdown For This Useful Post:
inkedangel (July 17th, 2011)
Unread July 18th, 2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShooter87 View Post
Can anyone tell me how I would go about disputing my "Non-Rehire" status?..who would I contact? the DM of the District? if anyone wants more specific details feel free to PM me, and I will fully explain the situation
Just curious, do you really want to go back?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kOre For This Useful Post:
Autosale (July 18th, 2011), muthaflippin (July 18th, 2011)