I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread June 20th, 2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycmakeithappen View Post
I work in a state that requires a 30min unpaid break for every 5+ hour shift. Until recently everyone in my store was accustomed to getting said breaks but lately we have so few hours that it's incredibly impractical. My CSRs are fine but all a little new except one. How am I supposed to do breaks and not have half my store stolen when it's me and one CSR on a Friday night?
I believe it's 6+ hours in NY.

Quote:
Q: Must meal periods and "breaks" be provided to employees?

A: Employees who work a shift of more than six hours starting before 11 A.M. and continuing until 2 P.M. must have an uninterrupted lunch period of at least half an hour between 11 A.M. and 2 P.M.
http://www.labor.state.ny.us/workerp...rds/faq.shtm#7

Also this:
Quote:
One Employee Shift. In some instances where only one person is on duty or is the only one in a specific occupation, it is customary for the employee to eat on the job without being relieved. The Department of Labor will accept these special situations as compliance with Section 162 where the employee voluntarily consents to the arrangements. However, an uninterrupted meal period must be afforded to every employee who requests this from an employer.
http://www.labor.state.ny.us/workerp...yer/meals.shtm

Edit: just realized this probably doesn't help you much. Sorry
Unread June 20th, 2010, 11:59 PM
IHBB Freak

To be quite honest... in the morning, my store is so slow, I can sit for 15 minutes and not help a customer. I can do that quite a few times in the morning...I can, I don't always do it unless I'm tired and I'm doing a double...

but 6 5 min breaks makes a half hr xD

I'm just a worker bee O_O
Unread June 21st, 2010, 07:25 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
To be quite honest... in the morning, my store is so slow, I can sit for 15 minutes and not help a customer. I can do that quite a few times in the morning...I can, I don't always do it unless I'm tired and I'm doing a double...

but 6 5 min breaks makes a half hr xD

I'm just a worker bee O_O
But are you clocking out?
The top Poster!
Unread June 21st, 2010, 08:44 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresmikey View Post
were you a participant in a class action lawsuit kaw? have you ever shared this?
psh...lame

If she is correct, and they INITIATE the "Class Action Lawsuit"...She will BANK!!!
Many of her friends will also share the wealth ($$$)

And to answer your lame question...YES, yes I have enjoyed 3 random check$ from Blockbuster, since I quit, due to their stupidity.

(I'm sorry "wheresmikey"...I thought you were being an ass (as everyone else is on this board...)...If the question you asked was serious, please disregard my "smart-ass" tone from my response...sorry)

p.p.s. I referred to you as "she" because your name was "Mikey"...but if you are a "male"...and you refer to yourself as "Mikey"...uummm, well..fuck you then because you're not a real man".

p.p.p.s. Bottom Line is...FUCK THEM...File the lawsuit...99.9% sure that you will win!!

Last edited by KAWLIGA; June 21st, 2010 at 08:51 PM.
Unread June 22nd, 2010, 03:10 AM
IHBB Freak

hey check it out, i stumbled upon a little insight in kaw's horrible personality and origin of his intense hate.
maybe if he shared these kinds of things like a normal guy things would have been different.

it's a shame he had to pick on me though. real classy...
Unread June 22nd, 2010, 06:36 PM
IHBB GOD

pssh... bring it
Unread June 22nd, 2010, 10:44 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flantanella View Post
but if a customer arrives for a movie, wants to speak to someone or even DM calls. Then they say why wasnt anyone in the store
You say you were on break. The DM can rectify the situation by staffing to a suitable level. Instead, he's telling you it's your problem and it seems like you believe it.
Unread June 22nd, 2010, 11:20 PM
IHBB Freak

Much as it's fun to pick on Kawliga, since he's accepted the role of heel, he does have a point. In a state with LEGALLY MANDATED BREAKS, it is AGAINST THE LAW to deny it to you. It is NOT against the law to close a store to fulfill a LEGALLY BINDING OBLIGATION. Therefore, if you are forced to, close the store. What's the DM going to do, fire you for obeying the law? That DM ought to be kissing your ass so hard you have permanent lip shaped chap, because you're saving them from one hell of a legal battle.

Or, if you MUST, go ahead and close the store and get fired. Not only is it illegal to fire someone for taking a legally mandated break, it's also very illegal to get fired retaliatorily. If this DM gets in any sort of trouble due to you OBEYING THE LAW, and fires you as a result, it's in retaliation. Otherwise, what's the excuse? "You're fired for not wanting to get us arrested or sued back into the Stone Age!"

It's technically the same for bathroom breaks. Legally speaking, you can not be denied bathroom privilege (within reason). You gotta take a shit, and you're flying solo? Close the store. They gonna fire you for not taking care of a necessary bodily function? Though, if you fart on anyone, you're on your own...

Seriously? Take your break, and scream LAWSUIT if you get threatened in ANY WAY. Phrase it exactly as such, "Are you going to fire me for not breaking the law?" Bring a tape recorder. ???? PROFIT!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbydanny
If I want the experience of being in the store, let me have it on my own fucking terms.
Unread June 23rd, 2010, 05:36 AM
IHBB GOD

agreed with the above.

though if you're ever in such a situation and you want a compromise, what we do sometimes with our coworkers is call/text around and see if someone can cover for several minutes and have them clock in for that time.

if someone happens to be in the area or has the time/wants to get prestreets as well, it's a suitable favor. while not everyone may have that kind of relationship with their coworkers, we do and it works for both us and the customers.
Unread June 23rd, 2010, 04:59 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAWLIGA View Post
pssh... bring it
god damn, this guy sure is eager to start things with his peers. fellow folks with their own degrees of disdain for this company.

never mind any interest in class action lawsuits.
hmm... to bring it? what a joke.

Pass.

anyway.

breaks is something a DM just has to eat, right? Its state law so there's no way to get around it. as a csr i work 5 to 6 hour shifts. i've only ever used breaks on the rare occasions in which the evening shift csr fails to show up and i cover the shift and work a double. every once in a while i need a potty break too. my mod doesn't mind standing in front for a couple minutes.
if there's continued issues with being denied legally mandated breaks than where i come from lawyers are always advertising free consultations.