I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread May 2nd, 2011, 07:58 PM

So this whole CAM thing.

Long story very short: we can, or cannot, get written up and eventually fired for not making our sales quota. I called my HR, but the number I've been given is actually only the number to the Regional offices, which is unendingly looped in a touchtone thing so that no one can ever leave a message. Pretty smart actually. I called the DM and asked for the "real" number...but that request went ignored. (duh duh duuuuuuhn). As far as i remember, the policy is:
Make sales this week?
y- you're not fired
n- ok sign your paper
Make sales three weeks in a row?
y- you're not fired
n- welp that's three consecutive weeks now, so here's your first write up.

My questions are: What is the way its supposed to be? Not the way my DM wants it to be. Also, is it per category, or all lumped together?
Unread May 3rd, 2011, 03:01 PM

Here's how I think it's supposed to be: Let the Managers MANAGE their store. We are trusted with keys to the store, alarm codes, and safe combos. In return, we maintain a store and drive sales. We all know the goals. They should TRUST that we will make adjustments in staff in order to achieve our goals and drive sales. Or maybe I'm just viewing all this differently than Corporate. C'est possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to D Money For This Useful Post:
ASMacronyms (May 4th, 2011)
Unread May 3rd, 2011, 06:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to Baby Firefly
When we heard we were closing my SM told us "if any of his employees sold a single TA, he'd fire us." LOL After 3 weeks, he was given his "final" for not making goals (we were the only store in the company that had sold ZERO during liquidation...something I am still kind of proud of). I had/have mad respect for my SM, and he was my...and everyone else on staff....achilles heel. We sold a minimum just to keep him from being fired. Fired 3 weeks before he was going to be jobless...and unable to collect. Bastards.
Unread May 4th, 2011, 01:44 PM

Cam is faulty in so many ways...... I'm an SM and I've been around about 11 years now and have seen so many selling models...... and like most, this one is single minded and not very helpful. Every staff has strengths and weaknesses and all stores are unique and thus an unbending program like Cam just doesn't work. I have an ASM who's not a seller but he's just about the hardest working and best ops guy I've ever met. Been with me 5 years. I have an SL who's a terrific seller but not as great with ops. Both bring huge value to me but in different ways. I agree with D. Only the stores know what's best for them because they operate them everyday. The system is similar to what you mentioned Dirty and it's heavy handed and lacks imagination. We've been working under a dictatorship mindset in selling for quite some time now. We need some freedom to operate our stores. I would concentrate on prp in mine as it crushes candy considering I have MANY old people who come in who lack uh..... teeth and many other things necessary to like candy, coke, etc. Prp is a much better moneymaker than candy for me. It might be different elsewhere though and I understand that. The point is.... I'm good being held accountable for the success servicewise and financially for my store but let us do it our way to some extent and watch our bottom lines. Only then will I feel that we can have more success at doing our jobs to the best of our ability. And please corporate.... no more goddamn pickles. Pickles do not solve bankruptcy. Movies for movie stores do.
Unread May 4th, 2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Firefly View Post
When we heard we were closing my SM told us "if any of his employees sold a single TA, he'd fire us." LOL After 3 weeks, he was given his "final" for not making goals (we were the only store in the company that had sold ZERO during liquidation...something I am still kind of proud of). I had/have mad respect for my SM, and he was my...and everyone else on staff....achilles heel. We sold a minimum just to keep him from being fired. Fired 3 weeks before he was going to be jobless...and unable to collect. Bastards.
Man how cool would it have been if the whole staff quit right after he got fired.

Of course that hypothetical scenario, is one where each of you guys had a job lined up.
Unread May 4th, 2011, 03:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to Baby Firefly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreen-Akrore View Post
Man how cool would it have been if the whole staff quit right after he got fired.

Of course that hypothetical scenario, is one where each of you guys had a job lined up.
Looking at my post, it appears as if I indicated he WAS fired. Ugh. He wasn't fired. Threatened with termination 3 weeks before closing....not fired. Ugh. Never post when sleepy. :/ Oh...and it was common knowledge that if he was fired, myself and two of our CSRs were walking. No doubt about that. We all loved the guy. Best boss I ever had.
Unread May 4th, 2011, 03:12 PM

In my district, which has been redistricted twice in 6 months, the rules seem to change with the DM. There is a reasonable allowance for interpretation. I can't think of a single instance in my district where a dm documented for sales. However, I was written up for not having all my peaks in one period. Only instance ever and I got a verbal. Judging from many of the posts not only in this thread but others, there is not consistency. There's policy, but its left to interpretion.
Unread May 4th, 2011, 06:54 PM

The funny thing is when the CAM process started along with the Blockbuster Way, we all got handbooks about it (loaded with cheesy photos). The guide said the CAM process shouldn't get people into trouble, or fired. It was suppose to be used for helping employees improve sales.

This is Blockbuster were talking about though, so usually whatever is in writing doesn't matter anyway.
Unread May 4th, 2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapter11buster View Post
The funny thing is when the CAM process started along with the Blockbuster Way, we all got handbooks about it (loaded with cheesy photos). The guide said the CAM process shouldn't get people into trouble, or fired. It was suppose to be used for helping employees improve sales.

This is Blockbuster were talking about though, so usually whatever is in writing doesn't matter anyway.
To Blockbuster nothing matters but how to make money right this very second, everything else be damned - including future sales.

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Blockbuster's positions, strategies, or opinion.
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies, or opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to itirnitii For This Useful Post:
Baby Firefly (May 6th, 2011)
Unread May 4th, 2011, 07:12 PM
IHBB GOD

No ..wait...seriously....people STILL fucking work at Blockbuster?
Are you serious??!!