I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread March 13th, 2013, 08:11 PM

Dish's next step for Blockbuster -- what do you think it will be??

Since the forum has been pretty dead for the last week or so, I'd like to stir up some conversation by posing this question to you all: what do you think Dish Network's next step will be in their quest to allegedly revive Blockbuster? At this point, it seems like literally anything could happen, especially with Ergen's recent declaration that he's committed to making BB work.

Looking forward to reading your opinions...
The Following User Says Thank You to SpiceCake For This Useful Post:
johnlow71 (March 14th, 2013)
Unread March 13th, 2013, 08:32 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiceCake View Post
Since the forum has been pretty dead for the last week or so, I'd like to stir up some conversation by posing this question to you all: what do you think Dish Network's next step will be in their quest to allegedly revive Blockbuster? At this point, it seems like literally anything could happen, especially with Ergen's recent declaration that he's committed to making BB work.

Looking forward to reading your opinions...
He closes the remaining 450 stores in waves until the end of 2014 considering he can keep closing them and make a lot of the money back invested in the company. If he wanted to make blockbuster work he would have chose some of the stores he closes better and not make it look so blatantly obvious that he only kept most of them cause they had no clause to back out of the lease.

You want examples, pm me.
I learned that dreams don’t work without action; I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.
The Following User Says Thank You to DavidNewlySL For This Useful Post:
inkedangel (March 14th, 2013)
Unread March 14th, 2013, 05:26 AM
IHBB Freak

More pickles?
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbydanny
If I want the experience of being in the store, let me have it on my own fucking terms.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deathbydanny For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (March 14th, 2013), inkedangel (March 14th, 2013), johnlow71 (March 14th, 2013)
Unread March 14th, 2013, 06:35 AM
IHBB GOD

Even Pickles have an expiration date, they will close and write it off to taxes
The top Poster!
Unread March 14th, 2013, 10:26 AM

I've been saying full closure for years and it hasn't happened yet, so I still think Ergen will be foolish enough to pour more money in. I'm guessing their cell phone service hasn't set the world on fire and exploded it popularity like they figured it would. What is next? I heard vinyl records are coming back, maybe they'll go full-in on them as "the next big thing".
Unread March 14th, 2013, 10:28 AM
IHBB GOD

the last 500 stores will be closed by octomomober this year
The Following User Says Thank You to johnlow71 For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (March 14th, 2013)
Unread March 14th, 2013, 12:59 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlow71 View Post
the last 500 stores will be closed by octomomober this year

Absolutely not! They will take advantage of the lucrative 4th quarter to lose even more money.
The Following User Says Thank You to orbitdvd For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (March 14th, 2013)
Unread March 14th, 2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNewlySL View Post
If he wanted to make blockbuster work he would have chose some of the stores he closes better and not make it look so blatantly obvious that he only kept most of them cause they had no clause to back out of the lease.
My understanding from a person who spoke with DL's about the closings last year when they started rolling through them again is that all the leases actually contain the clause to allow them to back out, it just may cost them too much to terminate the lease. Dish had to renegotiate all of the leases and re execute them when they bought Blockbuster because the old leases were no longer any good from a legal stand point. They had to get their name and the BB LLC name onto the leases to make them legal and at that time is when they had the termination clause put into their leases.
Unread March 14th, 2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkedangel View Post
My understanding from a person who spoke with DL's about the closings last year when they started rolling through them again is that all the leases actually contain the clause to allow them to back out, it just may cost them too much to terminate the lease. Dish had to renegotiate all of the leases and re execute them when they bought Blockbuster because the old leases were no longer any good from a legal stand point. They had to get their name and the BB LLC name onto the leases to make them legal and at that time is when they had the termination clause put into their leases.
Apparently, they must have really thought that they'd make the "store model" successful again if they were willing to trouble themselves with painstakingly poring over the details of every lease agreement for all the stores they had at the time, only to end up closing 2/3 of the stores not even two years later.

I think that the next round of closings will see the end of the stores. If you think about it, every closing round has seen the demise of at least 300-500 stores, and now, there are less than 500 -- so if they close the same number of stores with the next round that they've been closing each time, then this will be it. I do, however, think that Dish will hold on to a handful of stores that actually are highly profitable (such as the one left in my town, whose staff claims is the 4th highest-performing BB in the nation), even if just to make a few extra million dollars and to keep the BB brand at least somewhat alive.
Unread March 14th, 2013, 07:29 PM
IHBB GOD

You people DO realize that they recently came out with a hose that shrinks to 1/5th of it's size AND a vacuum that sucks all the dead skin out of your ears right??!! No faith you soulless bastards...no faith.