I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread May 4th, 2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whineyboy View Post
i just think it is sort of Illogical to expcet a store with a base of 500 costumers to have the xame bundle goal as a store with a base of 1500 like in our dist.
I think that's your DM's fault. We don't have a set number for bundles, we just have to have at least 5% of our transactions include a bundle. That's one out of every 20 transactions.
Unread May 5th, 2010, 11:20 AM

Now this is going to start off sounding off-topic but bear with me...

Last week my body decided to randomly become allergic to soy and nuts. In an effort to not go into anaphylactic shock, i check all chips/drinks/candy we sell for said allergens. I eliminated all chips, 90% of the candy we carry, many of the sodas. (also flips and beef jerky *sigh*)

That being said, I wonder if it would be possible for us to start carrying substitutes. Like we used to carry tea right? We got rid of Mr. Pibb last year even though we easily sold 7-8 times as many Pibb as we ever do diet coke, or coke zero. And what about somewhat more healthy boxed items instead of just straight candy? (ginger snaps, tootsie rolls, hard candies, peppermints, various flavored gummy candies like peach, orange, mango etc, peanuts, swedish fish IN A BOX) And what about other small inexpensive items as options instead of popcorn? (Like those little single-serving cans of pringles). I can't count the number of people that say no to my bundle offers because:

1. items contain too much sugar/fat/calories
2. customer is watching their weight
3. don't want their kids to be even more hyper
4. they simply don't need any more popcorn

I need to be able to come back with an 'ok but just so you know we have quite a few fat-free/low sugar options and we now carry drinks other than soda (or water which is free at their house).

People are so tired of the same thing. The novelty has worn off. If only we could stop carrying all those little novelty candies like sour spray, triple push up pops, sour straws, and carry something that would help bundles since that seems to be the major push now a days.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elphabalives For This Useful Post:
libra (May 5th, 2010)
Unread May 5th, 2010, 01:52 PM

I know Twizzlers are fat free (Most people don't think of them with the bundles because they aren't actually in a box). Raisinets are healthyish... they contain those fruit antioxidant thingies. And popcorn fights cancer. Or something like that. (I told one person we had smart pop, and they tried to find it in the cooler.)

I think most customers excuses are just that. They're trying to find a "nice" way to say no. I'd much rather they actually say no.

"Oh, we just had lunch/dinner" / "I'm not hungry right now."
You don't have to eat the candy now. Now, I may be mistaken, but you're going to get hungry again eventually. Maybe even later today? And you probably won't want an entire meal.

"I don't like popcorn." / "I have enough popcorn at home."
If you get a drink and box of candy, I'll gladly sell it to you for $3. You're still saving around 70 cents (depending on your tax rate). Lord knows I don't need any more popcorn, but you're still saving money and we get a bundle out of it, so I'll add another bag of popcorn to the ever growing employee popcorn collection in the back. It's win-win. $5 bundle? The candies alone are $4 (3 if the customer knows better, but still...).

"That's not a deal!" / "I can get all that cheaper next door."
False. If you can find a 20 oz Coke, theater box of candy, and single package of popcorn for less than $3 in one location, bring me the receipt and I'll pay you the difference. I wish I could actually make that wager with customers, since I'm not sure most other stores sell individual packs of popcorn or candy in stupid boxes. Sure, you can get a six pack of bottled Coke, 2 3-packs of popcorn, and a correspondingly large candy for less than the cost of 6 bundles. But you don't want six bundles... do you?

"No thank you."
Fair enough. Next vict-- er... customer.
Unread May 5th, 2010, 02:11 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnomaly View Post
"I don't like popcorn." / "I have enough popcorn at home."
If you get a drink and box of candy, I'll gladly sell it to you for $3. You're still saving around 70 cents (depending on your tax rate). Lord knows I don't need any more popcorn, but you're still saving money and we get a bundle out of it, so I'll add another bag of popcorn to the ever growing employee popcorn collection in the back. It's win-win. $5 bundle? The candies alone are $4 (3 if the customer knows better, but still...).
God, if I had a pack of popcorn for every time I heard that one...I'd have a box in the back of my closet, full of popcorn!

Seriously, we did have a lot of people who actually would buy the bundle, but then purposely leave the popcorn, pleading dental work, some diet restriction, etc. Whoever was working the shift would either split it with their coworker, or if alone (and I frequently was) would just take it home.

Double trouble on the "free bundle" with 3 new releases, because there would be at least one person who, forgetting they might be home and have the munchies later and---HELLO! IT WAS FREE!!!!!!---tell us, "Oh, we don't want/need that." I'd just say, "Well, I'll give you the discount anyway," (because it was like a few cents' difference) and ring up the stuff.

Amazing how many people piss away a free "lunch".
Unread May 5th, 2010, 07:37 PM
IHBB GOD

every once in a while, i get the nerves to mention our "smart pop". it's only worked ONCE so far. ONCE.
Unread May 5th, 2010, 08:19 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUYMECAR View Post
every once in a while, i get the nerves to mention our "smart pop". it's only worked ONCE so far. ONCE.

Really? It works a lot for me!

Water, smart pop and twizzlers!!!

What gets me is I said DRINK not SODA, DRINK and people say nooo I don't
1. Drink soda
2. Want soda

for whatever reason...I didn't say soda...soooo wth >_>
Unread May 6th, 2010, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnomaly View Post
"That's not a deal!" / "I can get all that cheaper next door."
False. If you can find a 20 oz Coke, theater box of candy, and single package of popcorn for less than $3 in one location, bring me the receipt and I'll pay you the difference. I wish I could actually make that wager with customers, since I'm not sure most other stores sell individual packs of popcorn or candy in stupid boxes. Sure, you can get a six pack of bottled Coke, 2 3-packs of popcorn, and a correspondingly large candy for less than the cost of 6 bundles. But you don't want six bundles... do you?
False. I can use my Food Stamp card and get it next door at Harris Teeter 1) "tax free" and 2) with "money" that was "given" to me... No actual out-of-pocket cost. I actually do buy bundles when I work just to help with numbers, though *grumble*
Unread May 6th, 2010, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omg_bbv View Post
False. I can use my Food Stamp card and get it next door at Harris Teeter 1) "tax free" and 2) with "money" that was "given" to me... No actual out-of-pocket cost. I actually do buy bundles when I work just to help with numbers, though *grumble*
True. But you know how much fun bundles are, so you'd just say no. Maybe more along the lines of HELL no, but still...
Unread May 6th, 2010, 06:36 AM
IHBB GOD

I can go next door to a store and get a soda, box of goobers and a huge bag of already popped popcorn(it's about the size of 4 microwave bags and it is good butter flavored) for $3. Oh and I love the huge frozen pretzels 6 in a box, just heat and serve.
Dollar tree sells everything for $1 and it has all the candy BBI carries.
The top Poster!
Unread May 6th, 2010, 06:55 AM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by omg_bbv View Post
Please, for the love of God, stop doing that. Not only is it a losing proposition, but it adds up. Check this out, and do you own math.