I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Other Stuff (Off Topic) > Archive

Unread April 16th, 2007, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeTiny View Post
so no power at all today in the store. the whole day. so of course the obvious questions r gonna be asked.

'are you guys open?'
'why do i need my card? they always just use my ID'

i mean seriously, who else keeps a store open that has NO POWER? we were the only store in the shopping center that was "open". everyone else was smart and closed.
How long were you open till, cause if you have no power, and they can't RESTORE power, you weren't supposed to be open. Like if the power goes out whilst shoppers are in, you lock the doors, and kindly ask them to bring any rentals they want to rent to the register, manually check them out, and let them out, lock up and call and see if you can restore power. We were half power for half a day once.
Unread April 17th, 2007, 05:23 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashh View Post
How long were you open till, cause if you have no power, and they can't RESTORE power, you weren't supposed to be open. Like if the power goes out whilst shoppers are in, you lock the doors, and kindly ask them to bring any rentals they want to rent to the register, manually check them out, and let them out, lock up and call and see if you can restore power. We were half power for half a day once.
Same here, we have been told if no power, ask all customers to go to the front of the store. Manuel checkout, then lock up. To much of a security and safety risk. Some areas of the store get quit dark during the day.
The top Poster!
Unread April 17th, 2007, 05:52 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooworker View Post
Same here, we have been told if no power, ask all customers to go to the front of the store. Manuel checkout, then lock up. To much of a security and safety risk. Some areas of the store get quit dark during the day.
You what? When we've been without power, we've had to manually check people out for the WHOLE day - we only closed an hour early due to failing light. I'm sure it's probably illegal to do that, but the DMs are above the law apparently.
Unread April 17th, 2007, 07:21 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageUK View Post
You what? When we've been without power, we've had to manually check people out for the WHOLE day - we only closed an hour early due to failing light. I'm sure it's probably illegal to do that, but the DMs are above the law apparently.
Is it a H+S violation... we had a power cut recently, and we had to kick everyone out of the store and lock-up until the power was back on. No arguments from the DM down our way...

If someone was injured due to the dim light, just imagine the compensation. Blockbuster wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
Unread April 17th, 2007, 07:25 AM

power went out right before we opened. never came back on. our DL wouldnt let us close til it got dark, then he said to wait just in case the power did come back on. hes not a very bright man
Customers, when you think about it, really have a lot in common with zombies. First of all, one by itself is not a problem, it can be dealt with easily. The real threat comes from their ability to overwhelm you with their sheer numbers. They tend not to move very fast, and they don't think for themselves very much
Unread April 17th, 2007, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageUK View Post
Last time I was working during and the power cut I had to shut up shop. Trouble was that the phones wouldn't work without power so the alarm company had to phone the DM instead. He phoned the AM and told her to make sure we were open and doing manual checkouts. We weren't and she went balistic. I just ignored her though, and after a few minutes arguing I was able to point out the dark area at the back of the store and reminded her the size of the fine we could get if someone stubbed their toe. She went back to the phone box to call the DM, who told her it was up to staff discretion, and that we weren't to open if there was any risk to the customers.

Remeber though, if your DM is forcing you to open in a blackout (and I mean literally threatening your job if you don't) then make sure he gives you these instructions in writing and signed. I know ther's a fair chance you wont be sued, but in the ent that you are I can promise you your DM will let you take responcibility for it.
Unread April 17th, 2007, 08:24 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adornedatom View Post
Last time I was working during and the power cut I had to shut up shop. Trouble was that the phones wouldn't work without power so the alarm company had to phone the DM instead. He phoned the AM and told her to make sure we were open and doing manual checkouts. We weren't and she went balistic. I just ignored her though, and after a few minutes arguing I was able to point out the dark area at the back of the store and reminded her the size of the fine we could get if someone stubbed their toe. She went back to the phone box to call the DM, who told her it was up to staff discretion, and that we weren't to open if there was any risk to the customers.

Remeber though, if your DM is forcing you to open in a blackout (and I mean literally threatening your job if you don't) then make sure he gives you these instructions in writing and signed. I know ther's a fair chance you wont be sued, but in the ent that you are I can promise you your DM will let you take responcibility for it.
I've got newfound appreciation for my DM.

Our phones go out in a power cut too... don't you guys have mobile phones?! You should always phone your DM if you've had to close for any reason.
Unread April 17th, 2007, 10:10 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissHailstorm View Post
Is it a H+S violation... we had a power cut recently, and we had to kick everyone out of the store and lock-up until the power was back on. No arguments from the DM down our way...

If someone was injured due to the dim light, just imagine the compensation. Blockbuster wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
I know, everyone who was in the store said the same thing. But the DM knows best apparently.
Unread April 17th, 2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticVamp View Post
Odd request, via the phone:

"I have Total Access, and I have my movies, and I want more, but I don't want to bring my TA movies in...can I still have free rentals?"

What. The. Fuck.?
The best is when they come in with the movies they already got free from the store, and just come in to exchange like they are on the movie pass.
Unread April 17th, 2007, 09:20 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresser View Post
The best is when they come in with the movies they already got free from the store, and just come in to exchange like they are on the movie pass.
Half of our total access customers bring their old rentals to the counter instead of dropping them in the box. I don't know who suggested they do this. It means they have now THREE piles of shit to hand me. And then they don't want to hand over their card -- "You can get it from my returns!" Sure, I CAN, but let's not be a dick OK?

I have a few customers that like to pretend they have the movie pass. They come up with two returns, two rentals, I check in the old ones...
me: Oh, um, there's no movie pass on there.
cust:
me: Should there be?
cust:
me: You brought up two returns and two new rentals in a way characteristic of movie pass members. Do you not have the movie pass?
cust: What's that?
me: OK, I guess not. There's a drop box right there for your returns. Have your card?
cust: You can get it from my returns...?
me: Yeah, I could but let's not be a dick OK?