I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread March 8th, 2011, 03:33 AM
IHBB Freak

Warner says to hell with 3rd Party rentals

Not only bad news for Blockbuster (which is rather pointless anyway) but not too good for Netflix, Redbox or VOD either... if indeed this is the start of a whole new rental war chapter.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/articl...facebook-25324
Unread March 8th, 2011, 07:31 AM

I see this bad for WB, not many like facebook
Unread March 8th, 2011, 08:16 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flantanella View Post
I see this bad for WB, not many like facebook
depends they go to facebook for some stupid ass reason....MOst people are on shity computers/laptops that are really shitty mid you. They are just there to play farmvill right? Who the fuck wants to watch a movie on there.

If this did take hold it would revolutionize movie renting and Pirating....Imbead a video recorder in browser....

Even the Devil, which is the main share holder of blockbuster is saying you guys are making me look bad!

Horse Power is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hot Head For This Useful Post:
BUYMECAR (March 8th, 2011)
Unread March 8th, 2011, 08:59 AM
IHBB GOD

"announced it will begin testing an offering of selected movies for purchase or rental through Warner Bros. Entertainment’s Facebook movie Pages"

Relax, they're only testing
Unread March 8th, 2011, 09:03 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djblade View Post
"announced it will begin testing an offering of selected movies for purchase or rental through Warner Bros. Entertainment’s Facebook movie Pages"

Relax, they're only testing
I hope this isn't blockbuster type testing....

Even the Devil, which is the main share holder of blockbuster is saying you guys are making me look bad!

Horse Power is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Unread March 8th, 2011, 10:05 AM
IHBB Freak

Netflix was tested at one time too. For years I wondered why the studios would allow third party companies to make money off their product; I assumed it was because the technology wasn't there and that they would have individual VOD channels on cable (like MGM does now). Instead it's the internet. I'm not sure why they are going through Facebook however ... why not just them viewable from their own site?
Unread March 8th, 2011, 10:23 AM

Yeah, I just saw that too. The thing is, it's not exactly the action that should be troubling to Blockbuster, it's what ramifications it holds for the future. Yes, they're just testing this and it probably won't work out quite right, but it's a signal of where the film studios WANT to go.

Streaming is the next big thing. It sucks for people like us, who made our living selling media, but it's how its gonna be eventually. Maybe not this year, maybe not in five years, but they are working on the technology and it's coming.
Unread March 8th, 2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veruka_Salt View Post
Netflix was tested at one time too. For years I wondered why the studios would allow third party companies to make money off their product; I assumed it was because the technology wasn't there and that they would have individual VOD channels on cable (like MGM does now). Instead it's the internet. I'm not sure why they are going through Facebook however ... why not just them viewable from their own site?
I think the studios make more money if all the movies are funneled into one "hub" where customers can access everything from one locale. As movie viewing leaves the tangible realm into the internet it might be possible for studios to stream movies from their own website, but it wouldn't be as convenient for the customer. The studio would either have to charge per view or have their own subscription service, but who would want to lock themselves in a subscription service to only one studio. Although I guess that would be a lot like what cable does when you subscribe to Showtime or HBO -- but then again those are television series which run on for many seasons and movies are just a one time 90 minute investment.

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Blockbuster's positions, strategies, or opinion.
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies, or opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to itirnitii For This Useful Post:
BUYMECAR (March 8th, 2011)
Unread March 8th, 2011, 12:28 PM
IHBB Freak

Thanks, itirnitii; you raised some points I hadn't really considered like loyalty subscriptions and channel isolation. It's all evolving. Or, as Shirley Bassey and Propellerhead would say, it's just a little bit of history repeating...
Unread March 8th, 2011, 06:17 PM
IHBB GOD

djblade, you're right, there's no doubt in my mind that by the first week, a browser plugin will allow recording. even though facebook has a very strong development team behind it, they can't possibly fight against the inevitable.

and if not browser plugs, there are so many display recording programs already out there that would make facebook rentals a joke.

=3