I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Other Stuff (Off Topic) > Movie/Music/TV Talk

Unread July 26th, 2008, 11:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to ThingsANDStuff Send a message via Yahoo to ThingsANDStuff
Good Movies Nobody Has Seen

You know, there are quite a few movies out there that slip by at the box office whether it's because a bigger movie hit at the same time or it unfortunately went straight to DVD and was ignored on the shelves.

For movies like these, or movies not so popular with a lot of people, I'd like to make a list of the ones that have been overlooked so that we can all hopefully make aware the diamonds in the rough. (Enough imagery for you?)

So, I'll start this off with a few titles I know that a lot of people don't know about. Some of these are repeats from other threads and such but oh well. Please, everyone, add to this list anything you feel should be more appreciated than it is!

Sunshine - I know a few on here agree with me
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - Why hasn't anyone seen this?
The Nines - See recent post
State's Evidence - Sure, the sound gets a little glitchy but whoa, what a scary concept
Hard Candy - Great. 'Nuff Said
House of 9 - Like Saw 2 but not as gory and a helluva twist ending
Hustle and Flow - Bit more popular but its not just a rap movie! Everyone should see it!
Mothman Prophecies - *chills* Creepy but good.
My Date with Drew - Now I know this was on our trailer tape for the longest time but it was a really good documentary.
Night Listener - Proves that Robin Williams can do anything
Running Scared - Helluva action movie, holy god.
Taken (mini-series) - Good if you have the patience to watch 10 hour and a half episodes. Invest the time, and you will be rewarded with a good series
Lost Room (mini-series) - Short mini-series but pretty cool concept.
Trapped - Just good all around
Wicker Park - Everytime I hear Coldplay's The Scientist, it makes me want to watch this movie again. Excellent romantic thriller.

For those of you that havent seen a few of the above, do yourself a favor and rent a couple on a night when there's nothing on. And lemme know what you think of them!

Again, add to the list!

(thank you for the website, ClutztomerControl)
Unread July 26th, 2008, 11:48 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThingsANDStuff View Post

Again, add to the list!
Salton Sea - Starring Val Kilmer and Vincent D'Onofrio. A movie about Drug Addiction. You just gotta watch it.

Four Rooms - A Quentin Tarantino Comedy. One of his best movies IMO.

Gummo - Misunderstood Genius.

City Of God (Cidade de Deus) - Most Excellent Gangster flick.... foreign film

Taxi Driver - Scorsese, De Niro with a mohawk!, Jodie Foster... A fucking classic!

Last edited by ClutztomerControl; July 26th, 2008 at 11:54 PM.
Unread July 27th, 2008, 03:59 AM
IHBB GOD

Just want to second "Wicker Park", "Running Scared", and "Gummo". I recommend those too.
Unread July 27th, 2008, 06:03 AM
IHBB GOD

kiss kiss bang bang did rent well at my store, but then again we have a lot of regulars on the pass that will watch a piece of dog crap for 90 minutes if it was in a dvd case
Unread July 27th, 2008, 06:05 AM
IHBB GOD

im doing 1 old or 2 a week since the new stuff is crap lately, im actually gonna watch taxi driver this week, just finished easy rider and cannonball run last week.
Unread July 27th, 2008, 07:46 AM
IHBB Freak

The Last Supper - The J-Horror flick about the fancy, sexy cannibalism...and hey, it's a J-Horror flick that doesn't involve a chick with long wet hair!

Maxed Out- Hard to watch documentary about the strong-arm tactics of lenders/credit card companies. I watched it about a year ago, and it's been a harbinger of the shit currently going on with mortgage lenders and banks.

For the Bible Tells Me So - Another "hard to watch documentary", but if you love your family unconditionally, you need to see this flick. It's about Christianity vs. families with gays who've been ostracized. The hardest part was the woman who was only spurred into action whenever her grown gay daughter confided in her, was rejected by her, and committed suicide. A subplot is the rising of anti-gay sentiment from the extreme right, led by Dr. James Dobson, founder of "Focus on the Family"; and that kook preacher Rev. Fred Phelps that protests funerals. It has the best opening scene ever, with 70's anti-gay crusader Anita Bryant catching a pie in the face from a protestor and then saying the dumbest thing ever, "Well at least it's a fruit pie! No, no, don't take him away! Let's pray for him! ...heavenly Father..."

The Evening with Kevin Smith movies- Call it extended footage of Q&A's. Call it stand-up comedy. Call it genius. A must for the fan. I actually own Evening with Kevin Smith 2: Evening Harder, and am looking to replace the copy of Evening 1 that I lost. It'll make you crack up, over and over again.

Old horror movies- No, not Halloween and Friday the 13th. Older than that. No, not Night of the Living Dead '68, though it's good, too. OLDER. We have I Married a Man From Outer Space, Last Man on Earth, and The Day the Earth Stood Still. It's a refreshing change from CGI'ed to death shit that's come out lately (Cloverfield! those cheesy Asylum flicks! SciFi Channel Originals! I Am Legend!) and special efx free-for-alls (SAW FRANCHISE!) Cleanse the palate, so to speak.
Unread July 27th, 2008, 08:06 AM
IHBB GOD

saw maxed out and liked it, wasnt shit i already didnt know but was a good watch..
Unread July 27th, 2008, 01:33 PM
IHBB Freak

Wicker Man and Night listener where both really bad movies..
I learned that dreams don’t work without action; I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.
Unread July 27th, 2008, 02:36 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNewlySL View Post
Wicker Man and Night listener where both really bad movies..
This thread is about good movies though. If you're referring to someone mentioning "Wicker Man", they actually said "Wicker Park".
Unread July 27th, 2008, 02:48 PM
IHBB GOD

which was bad also lol