I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread August 20th, 2011, 09:55 PM
IHBB Freak

I never really knew...

how bad working for blockbuster was. I mean...I know it's bad...but to what extent...it wasn't really known to myself until I actually was in that situation in my life.

First, I'd like to point out that I have yet to receive my last severance.

Second, I FINALLY, after 6 months, found a job. Unfortunately, it's retail. Fortunately, they care about their employees. I was hired as part time and worked 40 hours this past week... I HAVE to take a 30 minute meal and 2 15 minute breaks for they get mad at us. I was working with someone and they said, you're done in 15 mins, carry these boxes over to the front of the store. "Okay, I can do it after I clock out and am on my way out..." "No, you don't work off the clock, do it now...I know you did it before, but we're not like blockbuster."

I get paid a few dollars less than when I worked at bbv, but I'm not a manager and I'm only driving 15 minutes compared to my 1hr+ drive to my store that closed. I do get an extra hour for early morning shifts, so that helps.

I am assigned to one specific job and there is such a big support staff, it's ridiculous. One group for one job...I can't get used to that yet. There is one thing I dislike and it's something I find to be a very bad attribute in a manager...someone who doesn't help out. There's one person of like 6 who does that and even flat out said to me and a customer that they don't do said job...whatever. There's a lot of really nice people there also.

Granted, I miss my bbv staff...I don't miss the customers or the dumb shit they made us do. There are pros and cons to where I am now and where I was...but like my husband said, it's a stepping stone. Maybe I will find an office job soon...I hope haha. I wouldn't mind a job where I don't have to stand all day

So, basically what my post was about...there's light at the end of the tunnel. For all of you unemployed people who can't remember what it's like to be in another company...enjoy your free time and then enjoy the new company that will probably give you a raise in under four years
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Ninja For This Useful Post:
Antithesys (August 21st, 2011), Baby Firefly (August 22nd, 2011), Chris4 (August 22nd, 2011), EVFNazi (August 21st, 2011), Fuzzy (August 20th, 2011), getoffmybeach (August 22nd, 2011), Glass Half Empty (August 22nd, 2011), HelloItsMeMOM (August 21st, 2011), MamaSmurf (August 21st, 2011), muthaflippin (August 21st, 2011), wheresmikey (September 2nd, 2011), Woodstock (August 20th, 2011), yodavsjason (August 21st, 2011)
Unread August 21st, 2011, 06:51 PM

Lovely post Ninja. . Thank you for sharing.

You're right about it too. As much as I loved my job at BBV, I now realize how lonely I was there... with no one to eat lunch with (even if I had actually been able to go eat lunch), no real support, and tons of stress and responsibility. I'm working myself half to death right now, but it's in 2 very different atmospheres. I'm still amazed at how nice everyone I work with is... and how much they appreciate my efforts.

Anyway, congrats and I hope you find that office job one day!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MamaSmurf For This Useful Post:
getoffmybeach (August 22nd, 2011), Glass Half Empty (August 22nd, 2011), inkedangel (August 21st, 2011), Ninja (August 23rd, 2011)
Unread August 22nd, 2011, 03:41 AM

Glad to hear things are looking up for you!

When I first got out one of my friends, who had left a year before me, described it as a cult. When you're in it you defend it, you believe the drill. Once you're out you realize how much they abuse their people. I can't believe I worked for 8 hours at a time alone with no breaks.
Unread August 22nd, 2011, 08:20 AM

I still don't see how it's legal to have someone working alone for 8 hours and not be able to take legit breaks to eat/bathroom. I am soooo over trying to eat and have people come in and I have to stop and cater to them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Glass Half Empty For This Useful Post:
Baby Firefly (August 22nd, 2011)
Unread August 22nd, 2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Half Empty View Post
I still don't see how it's legal to have someone working alone for 8 hours and not be able to take legit breaks to eat/bathroom. I am soooo over trying to eat and have people come in and I have to stop and cater to them.
The best was when they'd give you that "What do you think you're doing?!" look.
Unread August 22nd, 2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I spend a lot less money when i'm working alone, especially on Ice Coffee since I know I'm probably not going to be able to pee when/if I need to...
Unread August 22nd, 2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I don't see how it's illegal either. This isn't a government job with mandated rules. It's a private company who can allot for the number of hours they need to operate.

Need to take a bathroom break? Run back there really quick or lock the door fir a few minutes (I knew a BBV manager who told me he had to do that before.) I mean, you gotta go when you gotta go.

Need to eat? Bring a lunch to work. I mean, you knew you'd be there 8 hours. Snarf down your food when you can.

I am not defending Blockbuster in ANY of this, just sayin'...you knew those were the situations you would get into once your hours got cut.

As for the OP, there's never one situation I would do ANY work off the clock for Blockbuster. That's not really how things are done at Blockbuster. Maybe with the shitty store manager you had, but not in general.
Unread August 22nd, 2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien Oujia View Post
I don't see how it's illegal either. This isn't a government job with mandated rules. It's a private company who can allot for the number of hours they need to operate.

Need to take a bathroom break? Run back there really quick or lock the door fir a few minutes (I knew a BBV manager who told me he had to do that before.) I mean, you gotta go when you gotta go.

Need to eat? Bring a lunch to work. I mean, you knew you'd be there 8 hours. Snarf down your food when you can.

I am not defending Blockbuster in ANY of this, just sayin'...you knew those were the situations you would get into once your hours got cut.

As for the OP, there's never one situation I would do ANY work off the clock for Blockbuster. That's not really how things are done at Blockbuster. Maybe with the shitty store manager you had, but not in general.
That's not how non-government jobs elsewhere are run. People get scheduled breaks because they aren't working alone. I pray everytime I have to work alone that some lunatic doesn't decide to come in and rob me or worse. I would bet almost every person working alone during the day brings their lunch/food or else they are forced to buy candy crap from the company- do you still work for the company because I swear you are really sounding like Big Blue's Bitch....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glass Half Empty For This Useful Post:
Baby Firefly (August 22nd, 2011), Darkfall28 (August 22nd, 2011)
Unread August 22nd, 2011, 04:28 PM
IHBB GOD

You sound like a post from 2 years ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to yodavsjason For This Useful Post:
zooworker (August 23rd, 2011)
Unread August 22nd, 2011, 04:29 PM
IHBB GOD

I was talking about Damien.