I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > I Hate Blockbuster > Do You Hate Blockbuster Video?

Unread November 15th, 2010, 05:10 PM

Going Out With a Whimper

Last night at 10 P.M., the Blockbuster Video in the Airway Shopping Center in Riverside, Ohio shuttered its doors for the final time. I was there around 9:40 and it was pretty dead, maybe about one or two other customers and the employees.

A short history: I first moved the area of that store around 13 years ago, so the store has been in business since at least that long, probably a fair bit longer. I was at one time a member, but discontinued my membership after they attempted to charge me a late fee for a Truman Show DVD. The day the disc was due, there was a major snowstorm in the area, the type where they actually issue an advisory - "conditions are hazardous, only emergency or essential traffic should be on the roads." I don't remember exactly how the situation was resolved, but I do know that to this day, I still have that DVD.

I noticed maybe about a month ago the signs up that the store was going out of business. They kept offering steadily better deals, but no truly Great Deals. Their signs said "everything must go," so when I was in there last night, I asked if they would consider any offers beyond the prices on their signs, given that they actually still had a fairly large number of DVDs and Blu-Rays in the store. They responded that they were a business and I said that I knew that, but their signs did say "everything must go," at which point they admitted, "that's just an expression." I suspect most of those items will either be shipped to whatever Blockbusters are still around, or at a Big Lots or something in a month or two for bargain-basement prices. And so it ends. As for their employees, I suppose I feel a bit of sympathy for them losing their jobs (if they haven't already found new ones), mixed with pity and revulsion that they would work for such a disappointing company.
Unread November 17th, 2010, 01:36 PM
IHBB GOD

wow you're a grade-A for asshole customer lol

you disputed a movie you kept, helping to hurt the bottom line on that store's revenue. if you can imagine, there were several hundreds if not thousands of other customers that did the same thing. end result: store close. yes, i'm blaming the store closing on you. ha! take that!

but to be more fair, i highly doubt you had any emotion similar to "sympathy" or "pity" when you went into the store expecting more of a deal. giving fraudulent discounts isn't going to save the store or their jobs!

this might be a terrible company to work for, but you are in no position to say so! you abused the company's leniency and decided that it wasn't good enough.

these are corporate-managed businesses, not happy-go-lucky service stations!

=3
Unread November 17th, 2010, 02:24 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent0042 View Post
Last night at 10 P.M., the Blockbuster Video in the Airway Shopping Center in Riverside, Ohio shuttered its doors for the final time. I was there around 9:40 and it was pretty dead, maybe about one or two other customers and the employees.

A short history: I first moved the area of that store around 13 years ago, so the store has been in business since at least that long, probably a fair bit longer. I was at one time a member, but discontinued my membership after they attempted to charge me a late fee for a Truman Show DVD. The day the disc was due, there was a major snowstorm in the area, the type where they actually issue an advisory - "conditions are hazardous, only emergency or essential traffic should be on the roads." I don't remember exactly how the situation was resolved, but I do know that to this day, I still have that DVD.

I noticed maybe about a month ago the signs up that the store was going out of business. They kept offering steadily better deals, but no truly Great Deals. Their signs said "everything must go," so when I was in there last night, I asked if they would consider any offers beyond the prices on their signs, given that they actually still had a fairly large number of DVDs and Blu-Rays in the store. They responded that they were a business and I said that I knew that, but their signs did say "everything must go," at which point they admitted, "that's just an expression." I suspect most of those items will either be shipped to whatever Blockbusters are still around, or at a Big Lots or something in a month or two for bargain-basement prices. And so it ends. As for their employees, I suppose I feel a bit of sympathy for them losing their jobs (if they haven't already found new ones), mixed with pity and revulsion that they would work for such a disappointing company.
People like you helped make this company the way it is today.

Even the Devil, which is the main share holder of blockbuster is saying you guys are making me look bad!

Horse Power is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Unread November 17th, 2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent0042 View Post

Wow. So you kept the DVD, but refused to pay for it, and now it's OUR fault that they wanted to charge you for it? YOU NEVER RETURNED IT. Of course they'll charge you for it.

The way I see it, I'll work with people on fees when there is dangerous weather, but for the most part, if I have to come to work in the storm, you have to return your movie in the storm, otherwise you need to pay the fee for it.

The electric company isn't going to let you not pay your previous electric bill if your house gets struck by lightning.

Walmart isn't going to give you an extra free toaster because you didn't like the one you just bought.

Redbox isn't going to give you a free credit because there was a snow storm.

Netflix isn't going to give you a pro-rated credit because your cable was down for a few days and you couldn't place movies in your queue.

Why on earth would we give you a free pass on a movie that YOU WERE RESPONSIBLE FOR BRINGING BACK BUT DIDN'T?

And why would you try to get some poor guy who just lost his job to give you a "hook up" on cheaper movies at a closing sale? That's fucked up. What the hell does that do for him? Why the fuck should he? He doesn't get to keep his job. He doesn't and shouldn't need to give a damn about you and your wanting a hookup because after last night, he'll never see you again. Why? Because people like you helped him lose his job.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TelePizza For This Useful Post:
FZappa (November 27th, 2010), zooworker (November 24th, 2010)
Unread November 17th, 2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent0042 View Post
last Night At 10 P.m., The Blockbuster Video In The Airway Shopping Center In Riverside, Ohio Shuttered Its Doors For The Final Time. I Was There Around 9:40 And It Was Pretty Dead, Maybe About One Or Two Other Customers And The Employees.

A Short History: I First Moved The Area Of That Store Around 13 Years Ago, So The Store Has Been In Business Since At Least That Long, Probably A Fair Bit Longer. I Was At One Time A Member, But Discontinued My Membership After They Attempted To Charge Me A Late Fee For A truman Show Dvd. The Day The Disc Was Due, There Was A Major Snowstorm In The Area, The Type Where They Actually Issue An Advisory - "conditions Are Hazardous, Only Emergency Or Essential Traffic Should Be On The Roads." I Don't Remember Exactly How The Situation Was Resolved, But I Do Know That To This Day, I Still Have That Dvd.

I Noticed Maybe About A Month Ago The Signs Up That The Store Was Going Out Of Business. They Kept Offering Steadily Better Deals, But No Truly Great Deals. Their Signs Said "everything Must Go," So When I Was In There Last Night, I Asked If They Would Consider Any Offers Beyond The Prices On Their Signs, Given That They Actually Still Had A Fairly Large Number Of Dvds And Blu-rays In The Store. They Responded That They Were A Business And I Said That I Knew That, But Their Signs Did Say "everything Must Go," At Which Point They Admitted, "that's Just An Expression." I Suspect Most Of Those Items Will Either Be Shipped To Whatever Blockbusters Are Still Around, Or At A Big Lots Or Something In A Month Or Two For Bargain-basement Prices. And So It Ends. As For Their Employees, I Suppose I Feel A Bit Of Sympathy For Them Losing Their Jobs (if They Haven't Already Found New Ones), Mixed With Pity And Revulsion That They Would Work For Such A Disappointing Company.
You
Are
A
Dick
Unread November 18th, 2010, 02:31 AM
IHBB Freak

I had something to say, but the posts above basically said it all. Oh, here's something...

Go take truman show and shove it where the sun don't shine!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninja For This Useful Post:
MaximusX7 (November 21st, 2010)
Unread November 18th, 2010, 05:45 AM
IHBB Freak

I think I'd give a pass on bad weather, as you don't always know the circumstances, but why didn't you return it when the weather passed? Maybe it was wrong of the guy working when you came in to refuse to return it due to the circumstances, but if you still have it, you're in the wrong, as you technically did breach the rules of the rental contract, and though I'd have given clemency for a late fee given weather, I don't think that's a pass to keep a movie. Did you go back the next day? Did you do other things (like go to work?) If you did, you used the weather as an excuse. Fine, whatever, but if you're trying to pull sympathy by saying "I couldn't leave at all" whilst...leaving at all, then kindly stifle yourself.

In the meantime, I agree with everyone else in one respect-- why are you begging the employees for heavier discounts? Sure, BBV as an entity, which can still turn a profit (store level, mind you) on its merchandise, will eat that potential profit because you happen to be in a closing store and you're cheap. That's a great idea! And while we do that for everyone else, too (because that's a precedent, unless you're just that gosh darn special), let's see how long any of us keep jobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbydanny
If I want the experience of being in the store, let me have it on my own fucking terms.
Unread November 18th, 2010, 09:32 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbydanny View Post
I think I'd give a pass on bad weather, as you don't always know the circumstances, but why didn't you return it when the weather passed? Maybe it was wrong of the guy working when you came in to refuse to return it due to the circumstances, but if you still have it, you're in the wrong, as you technically did breach the rules of the rental contract, and though I'd have given clemency for a late fee given weather, I don't think that's a pass to keep a movie. Did you go back the next day? Did you do other things (like go to work?) If you did, you used the weather as an excuse. Fine, whatever, but if you're trying to pull sympathy by saying "I couldn't leave at all" whilst...leaving at all, then kindly stifle yourself.

In the meantime, I agree with everyone else in one respect-- why are you begging the employees for heavier discounts? Sure, BBV as an entity, which can still turn a profit (store level, mind you) on its merchandise, will eat that potential profit because you happen to be in a closing store and you're cheap. That's a great idea! And while we do that for everyone else, too (because that's a precedent, unless you're just that gosh darn special), let's see how long any of us keep jobs.
Look this guy lives in a alaska ok? It pretty much snows for 8 months straight up there and he didnt have to work ok? Because he gets checks from the goverment. So He is used to getting free shit, mmmmmk

Even the Devil, which is the main share holder of blockbuster is saying you guys are making me look bad!

Horse Power is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Unread November 18th, 2010, 09:27 PM

Don't pity the employees. They found their freedom. They don't have to be in the Blockbuster sandwich anymore, getting it in one end by corporate bullshit, and getting it in the other end by douchebags like you who use every excuse in the book to avoid responsibility while trying to manipulate every situation to save precious nickels. While you were at home, snuggling near the fireplace with the Truman Show during a blizzard, Blockbuster remained opened and was being staffed by people who had to drive back and forth because I've never seen Blockbuster let a store close due to weather. The people that were working that final day when you came in to dance on the grave and gloat were probably the ones who were forced to work that snowy night. But kudos for not using a dead relative as an excuse like some of my tacky customers.
Unread November 20th, 2010, 01:15 PM

You guys... maybe your irrational reaction to this poster is the other 50% as to why the company is closing. The whole "every customer is a scumbag unless proven innocent" shtickt is really unattractive to a customer. And no, I don't think anything this guy has posted so far is really that bad compared to the people LITERALLY trying to scam the company or steal product from the store.

This guy would probably be a regular if people like you didn't jump down his throat for being a day late on a rental. You all talk about hating corporate but then you leap in to defend corporate's policy the second a customer starts become inconvenient. I think a snowstorm constitutes some leniency as far as returns go.

And trying to make a deal on a store's last day is REALLY NOT that unheard of guys. Granted this is a corporate store and all of the inventory can be sold at full price other places, but you can't fault the customer for trying to get a deal. Had it been a mom and pop store they might have cut him the deal, especially with 20 minutes left to sell anything.

Seriously my Blockbuster drones, take a chill pill. I've been on both sides of the counter and either side sucks, but that doesn't mean it needs to be taken out on one another.