I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread October 4th, 2012, 08:39 PM

Dish Network abandons quest to turn BB into a Netflix rival

I pasted and linked part of a news story in the "News" section on Dish Network's just-announced plans to abandon their pursuit of revitalizing BB to be a Netflix competitor, but in case some of you missed it, here's an excerpt of the article as well as a direct link to it:

Blockbuster Hits Rewind on Plan to Come Back as a Netflix Rival

"Billionaire Charlie Ergen is giving up on his plan to turn the once-mighty Blockbuster LLC video- store chain into a Netflix (NFLX) Inc. competitor and gadget retailer.

When Ergen’s Dish Network Corp. (DISH) acquired Blockbuster out of bankruptcy in April 2011, Ergen planned to use the stores to sell Dish mobile devices that could be used to stream Blockbuster movies. The plans broke down when U.S. regulators didn’t immediately approve a waiver allowing Dish to use its satellite spectrum for terrestrial data and voice transmission.

“You make a lot of mistakes in business,” Ergen, Dish’s founder and chairman, said in an Oct. 3 interview. “I don’t think Blockbuster is going to be a mistake, but it’s unclear if that’s going to be a transformative decision.”

Dish has begun the process of closing stores that no longer make strategic sense, a plan that will allow Dish to turn a profit on the $320 million acquisition, Ergen said. Some Blockbuster DVD-rental stores can still make money in rural regions, he said. About 900 U.S. stores remained as of August, a fraction of the thousands Blockbuster once operated.

Ergen’s plans for Blockbuster turned sour when the regulatory approval process for his radio-wave licenses took longer than expected. Ergen said he believed the government would approve Dish’s plan in 2011 as it had done for Philip Falcone’s LightSquared Inc., which was also attempting to build a new long-term evolution network.

The government later denied Falcone use of his spectrum due to global-positioning systems interference concerns, causing LightSquared to file for bankruptcy. To avoid a similar outcome with Dish, the government slowed down the approval process for the Englewood, Colorado-based company, which is still waiting for the results of the Federal Communications Commission’s rulemaking.
Retail Stores

Ergen’s airwaves, which Dish agreed last year to purchase from DBSD North America Inc. and TerreStar Networks Inc. for about $3 billion, require new handset devices with a chip that links the satellite spectrum to terrestrial towers. The government’s delay has caused Ergen to change his mind about selling those products in Blockbuster stores.

“When your lease runs out on the stores, you can’t re-up because you can’t make enough money from just selling DVDs,” Ergen said."

(article continues on website)

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...ireless-delays

Here is my question... Dish has stated that they are going to begin closing "unprofitable" locations, although they plan to keep open profitable "rural" locations. Well, what is Ergen's conception of a "rural" area? And how many stores is he actually talking about retaining? I find his withholding of numbers and specifics to be suspicious...

Does anyone know how to get ahold of a list of closing stores?
Unread October 11th, 2012, 09:28 AM

Store closed

My store just closed and we were very profitable and our lease was not up until Dec 2013, so there is no reason for any of their decisions except they are done with bbv. It is as simple as that. At least I got unemployment! So long after nearly 20 years is all I can say.
The Following User Says Thank You to katiebell For This Useful Post:
inkedangel (October 11th, 2012)
Unread October 11th, 2012, 09:43 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiebell View Post
My store just closed and we were very profitable and our lease was not up until Dec 2013, so there is no reason for any of their decisions except they are done with bbv. It is as simple as that. At least I got unemployment! So long after nearly 20 years is all I can say.
sorry to hear that, but doesn't surprise me. Dish needs cash, and liquidating seems to be the way to go. Take a vacation and milk your unemployment, I did 1 1/2 years worth. Hell you paid enough taxes to get it back. And don't anyone complain to me about this, worked 40 years and paid my fair share of taxes, and not like others who never work and live off the govt. Oh, you might want to look into foodstamps too, good luck.
The top Poster!
The Following User Says Thank You to zooworker For This Useful Post:
katiebell (October 11th, 2012)
Unread October 11th, 2012, 12:31 PM
IHBB GOD

Yeah, Its blue cloud their trying to do.
Unread October 11th, 2012, 01:48 PM

Closing the stores earlier this year was how they posted that profit for the 1st quarter... sadly enough, people will start getting notified that more stores are closing, they will close them like last year to show that profit at the beginning of the year again. Last time, closed stores making profits, this holiday season, going to do it again. It won't matter who is making a profit or not, it's just going to happen.
zooworker (October 12th, 2012)
Unread October 11th, 2012, 07:00 PM
IHBB GOD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd--tIkrVoA&t=0m8s
Unread October 12th, 2012, 03:27 AM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkedangel View Post
Closing the stores earlier this year was how they posted that profit for the 1st quarter... sadly enough, people will start getting notified that more stores are closing, they will close them like last year to show that profit at the beginning of the year again. Last time, closed stores making profits, this holiday season, going to do it again. It won't matter who is making a profit or not, it's just going to happen.
What's stopping them from just liquidating the remaining 900? I'd make sure you polish those resumes by the first of the year.
The Following User Says Thank You to orbitdvd For This Useful Post:
inkedangel (October 15th, 2012)
Unread October 12th, 2012, 10:20 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawliga View Post
That Sucked.....
The top Poster!
Unread October 12th, 2012, 01:35 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAWLIGA View Post
lol u still on here wishing for the demise of the company? 10 years later? get a life boy.
I learned that dreams don’t work without action; I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidNewlySL For This Useful Post:
johnlow71 (October 13th, 2012), zooworker (October 12th, 2012)
Unread October 12th, 2012, 02:17 PM
IHBB GOD

You guys have half the story lol. There closing stores and re-opening them up in different location. These Blockbuster's are smaller though and more efficient in space lol