I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread December 27th, 2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omen View Post
The best way for Blockbuster to survive is to not be Blockbuster anymore.
Quoted for truth!

That's the biggest thing I think people don't realize-- yes the media may be declaring the death of Blockbuster a bit prematurely, but social cognition is a powerful damn thing. The more people hear about the fall of Blockbuster, the more they start to believe it (which is why store employees are asked about it all the time.) Honestly though, when your company is failing AND your brand is the butt of jokes, it's kind of over. I mean, people rag on Wal-Mart all the time, but Wal-Mart is doing pretty fucking well for itself too. Blockbuster, not so much.
The Following User Says Thank You to AdjectiveZord For This Useful Post:
The Omen (December 28th, 2010)
Unread December 27th, 2010, 06:10 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullins View Post
More than anything, I would like Blockbuster to return to a more relaxed state about sales. Now, it seems that when I say this people mistake it as doing away with sales goals completely. That's not true at all. I simply mean just taking off all the insane pressure on stores to "sell or die". Encourage, coach, train, no problem.

You don't know how disappointing it was to get excited about Doug McHose assuring us things were going to change, and DMs who were forcing people to call in numbers all the time, and making employees buy their own bundles would be held accountable for their actions. Then of course he quit almost instantly, and things were back to the way they were.

If corporate just took this one suggestion, out of the hundreds we've all made at one time or another, I would consider this a perfect job again. That has to mean something to you, BBstore482.

Personally I feel that this "sell or die" mentality from the corporate office is going to cripple them in 2011. The economy is creaking back to life again, and with that will come more jobs. How many of you will still work at Blockbuster if there are other opportunities out there? What kind of loyalty are they garnering by keeping a gun pointed at your heads? I predict there will be a mass exodus next year. The claims of "everybody in retail is this way" is a lie. They are squeezing every last drop of money from their customers and every last drop of blood from you guys.

Surely Blockbuster knows that thousands will leave soon. However, this is the same company that got rid of late fees, brought them back, charged $5 for a rental and named a process of firing someone after a real employee... so I don't know.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to orbitdvd For This Useful Post:
abhorrent scowl (December 28th, 2010), DeDampkring (December 27th, 2010)
Unread December 27th, 2010, 06:24 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitdvd View Post
However, this is the same company that got rid of late fees, brought them back, charged $5 for a rental and named a process of firing someone after a real employee
that they ended up firing.

=3
Unread December 27th, 2010, 07:37 PM

Well, while I understand everyone's resentment I was hoping to keep this thread strictly to ideas about how to improve BB. If corporate ever does read this I would like them to see our honest opinions about how we can be more profitable-straight from people in the field, without having to wade through "BB is screwed!" posts that may make them stop listening to us. Am I naive? Probably. But I think it's worth a shot.

As I said, I'm not saying I disagree with you guys, but pretty much any other thread can and IS used for posts like that.
Unread December 27th, 2010, 08:21 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullins View Post
Well, while I understand everyone's resentment I was hoping to keep this thread strictly to ideas about how to improve BB. If corporate ever does read this I would like them to see our honest opinions about how we can be more profitable-straight from people in the field, without having to wade through "BB is screwed!" posts that may make them stop listening to us. Am I naive? Probably. But I think it's worth a shot.

As I said, I'm not saying I disagree with you guys, but pretty much any other thread can and IS used for posts like that.

Ive been trying to do the same thing....I dont disagree either..but id like to see if we can maybe get our ideas pushed up..but then of course everytime I am bashed.
I learned that dreams don’t work without action; I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.
Unread December 27th, 2010, 10:08 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUYMECAR View Post
that they ended up firing.
Wait. Cam got fired?! I missed that. Do tell.
Unread December 28th, 2010, 01:15 AM

I second the motion...do tell....
Unread December 28th, 2010, 03:55 AM

I wonder if he missed his goals 4 weeks in a row.
Unread December 28th, 2010, 07:37 AM

they Canned Cam?

oh well, I once made a comparison of BBV to the late roman empire, and it seems to be accurate :-D
Unread December 28th, 2010, 08:24 AM

10 Areas of Change

1) Give customers an option. They can choose from 1-5 day rentals ranging from, you guessed it, $1.00-$5.00. Games could be reduced from $8.99 to $5.99 depending on the option. Allow customers a choice and they seem to like it. The dollar a day late fee will still apply along with the movie selling after a certain date.

2) Ease up on the promotions. What I mean here is to allow employees to enjoy talking to the customer about movies without having to worry about talking about a candy bundle.

3) Treat employees better. Give raises, have extra initiatives, and prove you really appreciate the work we do. Allow us time off on holidays, and get off our backs everyday. Don't have a gun pointed to our heads with your index finger on the trigger.

4) LISTEN TO US!!!! I cannot stress this enough. Corporate seems to think that they have all the ideas. They do, but it happens to be bad ideas. A lot of us are in college or recent college grads meaning we are far from idiots. We see customers on a daily basis and know what they want. Why? BECAUSE THEY TELL US!!!

5) Fire Dunlap, Keyes, and anyone else involved in the higher processing of this company for the past 5 years. Dunlap is kinda like Barney the Dinosaur with his overenthusiastic optimism about every idea they get out of a cracker jack box. We know our company is in a tough position, so don't patronize us with that kind of crap. Be honest, and serious because happy times are over for now. Anyone who saw that pic of Jim Keyes smiling after coming out of that courtroom should be ashamed to wear the Blockbuster shirt. We won bankruptcy, WOW, what a thing to smile about.

Matter of fact, here's the pic...

6) Hire proactive people with innovative plans to restructure Blockbuster. The only way we can avoid liquidation in the next few years is to change the way we do business, and what we focus on. Get rid of nonessential merchandise that make our stores look like thrift stores. We don't need flowers (all of ours died without selling any of em), As seen on TV crap can go, and books are fine (BUT have them focus on movies). We should sell Twilight, Harry Potter, Dexter, ect ect ect books.

7) Get a new computer system. Time to get something from this century and not straight out of the 80s. The system messes up so much that it affects business. I cannot tell you how many T.A. sells I've lost due to issues with our network. I have to Alt, Ctrl, Del two of our computers at least 3 times a shift. Our debit hasn't worked for almost a year, and despite numerous calls to numerous people in Bombay, it hasn't been solved and we gave up months ago.

8) Take some control away from District Managers, and allow stores to manage themselves. You can almost get rid of the position all together. Hold Store Managers accountable for Make the Day, and if they don't hold steady for a while (I'd say 4-5 months under goal which is generous but it would show that there is no gun to the head) then you replace them. That frees up money that you pay District Managers. You wouldn't need as many districts which in turn would mean you wouldn't need to spend on their salaries as much.

9) Make sure all stores that will remain open have the ability to fix their stores. I know mine has had the same carpeting since we opened in 1995. The paint is chipping away, and our back wall is still a little caved in from when a garbage truck backed into it. Our counters are shaky and disgusting. We have mice that roam the store despite exterminators that come (we honestly need to close for 24 hours and let the place be bombed). I must be on the worst end of this situation because my other store looked fantastic in comparison. Either way, we need things fixed, and it makes us look bad to the customers.

10) Use less paper. What is causing global warming? Blockbuster is killing all the trees. I get massive amounts of paper spitting out of the receipt printer all the time. Put the free movies in the system like it used to be. Why change what wasn't broken? All you need on a receipt is what they bought, when they are due, and our website for survey's. That's it. You don't need massive amounts of paper. Daily paperwork is a hassle. Make a program on the computer where it will be stored automatically. Blue Book...move it on the computer. We can type the daily sales information, make daily goals and post them on employees compasses. Doing that would save so much on paper, and things that are not necessary. Applications for new accounts we can allocate that one computer everyone has for new accounts and allow customers to fill out their information and store it in the computer. Easy Easy Easy. We live in the 21st century, and don't need to use as much paper.

Those are my ideas for a better company.
The Following User Says Thank You to Freemason220 For This Useful Post:
omg_bbv (December 29th, 2010)