I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread August 27th, 2010, 01:25 PM

The long & short of it is this: While it may suck for you, the manager is doing something no different than what I did while running a store.

The difference on my end was that I was up front about it. I told people point-blank that hours are totally dependent on sales and usefulness. Don't sell much? I can't make up all the slack so I'll give hours to people who can sell. I didn't enjoy operating this way, but the alternative was having the DM up my ass screaming about the sales goals. It's harsh, but that's the BBV environment now.

You seem like a sincere enough person and I'm really not trying to be harsh, so please don't take it that way. You did indicate that you were looking for another job. Do everything you can to accelerate that process of getting out. It will NOT get better there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Breathe 09 View Post
I tried posting this in a thread but I think it was hiccuped and lost. My boss has started to show favortism towards an employee who is getting tons of bundles/TAs. Even though everyone else is doing there part, Were a very small, slow traffic store in the day and sometimes in the evenings. This has been going on for almost a year and the decline of my working hours has gone with it. I got about 8 hours this week and so did most of my coworkers expect for Golden Boy of Sales and management. I have been with this company for over 5 yrs and I have never seen anything like this. I am sad, I am scared and I dont know what to think or do expect keep applying and looking for other work. I just want to know is this being experienced by anyone else and what do you think this is all about? You can pm me as well if you like.
The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. -Richard Dawkins from The God Delusion

SPAY AND / OR NEUTER YOUR ANIMALS: Please watch this...
Clicky
Unread August 27th, 2010, 01:55 PM

I know these sales are important and we all are trying to make them. We have alot of obsticles to overcome alot,such as online customers, movie pass customers and slow traffic to the point of no one coming in for two hours at a time. Ive noticed a huge difference even in the amount of returns, I used to walk into work and see the drop box FILLED to the top and the store Id be working at would be very busy. I realize now that these sales are also apart of trying to get the company out of its debt which is hard imagine because where did Blockbuster go wrong to cause such a huge amount of money to be needed to be paid. Im glad I have some interviews lined up in the next couple weeks. Its sad to think this place may be going bye bye because Ive been here so long and I believe in what blockbuster does as a whole but the moral of feeling like Im a valued employee has gone down alot
Unread August 28th, 2010, 08:03 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by step_oj View Post
Unfortunately, that's pretty much the way stores are run these days. In my 6 and half years as a SAM, the only people that were guaranteed hours were the management. If I were you, I'd start working on my resume and take some jobhunting clothes to the cleaners as that is one ship you probably don't want to go down with.
Management can be subjected to hour cuts of the SM wants to be evil. The DM will back the SM too. I know because it happens in our district. Some managers can get less time than cashiers as punishment.

I guess our stores are hardcore, when you get punish you get a big time out. Pretty much they can do whatever they want. Remeber the LEGAL minimum they have to schedule you is 4 or 6 hours no matter what you are! (unless salaried.)

On another note this is why I find other duties in our job requirement so funny, like hours they bend it to whatever suits them.

Even the Devil, which is the main share holder of blockbuster is saying you guys are making me look bad!

Horse Power is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Unread August 28th, 2010, 10:01 PM

The only thing to keep in mind with a drastic reduction in hours is that it makes it much easier for the employee to quit on their own and still collect unemployment. Its tantamount to a layoff if you have someone who's been working 30+ hours a week for a long time to suddenly give them 6.

I'm not defending BBV...far from it. However, BBV is paranoid about paying unemployment and once they lose a case or 3, they'll put a stop to the hours reduction thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Head View Post
Management can be subjected to hour cuts of the SM wants to be evil. The DM will back the SM too. I know because it happens in our district. Some managers can get less time than cashiers as punishment.

I guess our stores are hardcore, when you get punish you get a big time out. Pretty much they can do whatever they want. Remeber the LEGAL minimum they have to schedule you is 4 or 6 hours no matter what you are! (unless salaried.)

On another note this is why I find other duties in our job requirement so funny, like hours they bend it to whatever suits them.
The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. -Richard Dawkins from The God Delusion

SPAY AND / OR NEUTER YOUR ANIMALS: Please watch this...
Clicky
Unread August 28th, 2010, 10:11 PM

I got a little more hours this week but I see what you mean Meltdown. I can compare the amount hours I used to work just from when I first started at blockbuster to abou Jan 2008 Ive gotten a chance to work at different locations in the United States and everystore was different from the next but at the location Im at now I see a huge DROP in morale and I am just looking for something else just because of that alone. I wish I could say I see things improving but I dont know how that could be when it just seems so low and dark and the sad thing is I like my job and I like what I do and have learned working for Blockbuster but at some point I will have to let it go, and hopefully it will be on my own terms,