I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread March 16th, 2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBVTyrant View Post
Well, I would say how ridiculously inept Blockbuster is at still not figuring out that customers simply want to get their movies and go home ... and how they don't want a "sales experience" made out of the ordeal. But then again, for anybody that isn't using an online service or Redbox and is actually still going to Blockbuster, maybe that is what they actually want. My brain just has difficulty comprehending why anybody would still go to a brick and mortar store to rent movies.
I like going to stores myself. I could easily order food to my house, but I still go and pick it up. I like the drive, I like talking to people, I like looking at a menu (which could be at home, which I still go to the store). Its an experience that some people, myself included, like.

I had a customer the other day come in who has not been in the store for a while (it looked like she was last updated in the beginning of Nov.). The system immediately brought up the edit function saying that the address/phone number was no longer right and to update. I ask her if she was still on XX street, and she said yes. I asked if XXXX was still her number (expecting a "Oh, no, I changed it). Instead, she looks at me in disgust and wonder why I would tell her number in front of everyone (one person was in the middle of the store) since it was a private number. I explained that I needed to verify if her information was still correct since it has been quite some time since she has visited us.

She then asked if her DL wasn't good enough. "You saw it." I explained that we have many members who move and haven't updated their DL, so it is easier and more safeproof to ask. I told her that this has been how other associates and I have asked before, by asking specific, yet not completely revealing, information. She claimed I was the only one to ever do this and she was appalled. She paid for her movies and began to leave, but left her keys. It took me three calls to get her attention, and when I said she left her keys she huffed at me and took them and left.

I suppose I could have asked her for her number and address and "confirmed" what was on there (but probably not correct). But last time I did that, I got yelled at (as well) and the customer refused to give me her number saying she wasn't comfortable with that. Had a couple like that. No idea what to do with that. Especially since I don't know if she would have given it to me, considering she claims the number is private.
Unread March 16th, 2011, 07:07 PM

I love going out and talking to people about stuff. I go to the same Starbucks everymorning and It is comforting to see the same faces there to make my coffee and its especially important for the elderly to get out because they become very isolated so we need stores, we need interaction but the thing is people are finding other ways to get movies and not get up and move. I went to New York about a year ago and saw they had parking meters now and its used to never be that way.
Unread March 16th, 2011, 07:13 PM

I like going out and experiencing the outside world myself too.

Strangely enough, I don't like to overpay, get assaulted by sales, and have my name used by a stranger when I haven't introduced myself.

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Blockbuster's positions, strategies, or opinion.
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies, or opinion.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to itirnitii For This Useful Post:
AdjectiveZord (March 18th, 2011), HelloItsMeMOM (March 16th, 2011), Just Breathe 09 (March 16th, 2011), OzMan (March 16th, 2011), Veruka_Salt (March 17th, 2011)
Unread March 16th, 2011, 07:13 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Breathe 09 View Post
. I went to New York about a year ago and saw they had parking meters now and its used to never be that way.
OMG!!! New York Has parking meters now!!! Bastards!!!
The top Poster!
Unread March 16th, 2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooworker View Post
OMG!!! New York Has parking meters now!!! Bastards!!!
Yep I couldnt believe, I love New York so to think of people actually being able to park there is so weird, but the parking garages are outrageous.
Unread March 16th, 2011, 07:23 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme83yo View Post
I like going to stores myself. I could easily order food to my house, but I still go and pick it up. I like the drive, I like talking to people, I like looking at a menu (which could be at home, which I still go to the store). Its an experience that some people, myself included, like.

I had a customer the other day come in who has not been in the store for a while (it looked like she was last updated in the beginning of Nov.). The system immediately brought up the edit function saying that the address/phone number was no longer right and to update. I ask her if she was still on XX street, and she said yes. I asked if XXXX was still her number (expecting a "Oh, no, I changed it). Instead, she looks at me in disgust and wonder why I would tell her number in front of everyone (one person was in the middle of the store) since it was a private number. I explained that I needed to verify if her information was still correct since it has been quite some time since she has visited us.

She then asked if her DL wasn't good enough. "You saw it." I explained that we have many members who move and haven't updated their DL, so it is easier and more safeproof to ask. I told her that this has been how other associates and I have asked before, by asking specific, yet not completely revealing, information. She claimed I was the only one to ever do this and she was appalled. She paid for her movies and began to leave, but left her keys. It took me three calls to get her attention, and when I said she left her keys she huffed at me and took them and left.

I suppose I could have asked her for her number and address and "confirmed" what was on there (but probably not correct). But last time I did that, I got yelled at (as well) and the customer refused to give me her number saying she wasn't comfortable with that. Had a couple like that. No idea what to do with that. Especially since I don't know if she would have given it to me, considering she claims the number is private.
I never had a problem with a customer saying "I don't wanna give you my information." I guess you could with the phone number just say a piece of it and look at her the eye to giving a hint, has it changed?
Unread March 16th, 2011, 07:23 PM

as far as saying the customers names...I say it to my regulars (but i did this before we were being forced to) and otherwise i just use names when it either feels appropriate (after having a long conversation with a customer or helping them extensively) and i also use it when my DM is around, or is going to be visiting.

i might be a bad employee for this practice..but at least i'm not a creepy one.
Unread March 16th, 2011, 07:28 PM
IHBB GOD

Introducing yourself out to everyone doesn't make any sense.

1. You're not famous
2. Customers are just going to say ok and forget about it
3. This isn't a restaurant

The only time might be ok to mention your name is when you help the customer find there movie or something that can leave an impact on your service. A customer ask for my name was after we talk about video games for a long time. He liked my view and information. I don't mind giving my name after that.
Unread March 16th, 2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almondSM View Post
as far as saying the customers names...I say it to my regulars (but i did this before we were being forced to) and otherwise i just use names when it either feels appropriate (after having a long conversation with a customer or helping them extensively) and i also use it when my DM is around, or is going to be visiting.

i might be a bad employee for this practice..but at least i'm not a creepy one.
I'll never be comfortable saying a customers name. Despite the policy at HV and MG towards the end where it was manditory (that sure saved the company), I always got by with "Hey guy". Unfortunately, with my new job it's manditory to call everyone by name at least once. Thankfully it's just the last name 'cause I don't know these people and I'm just not cool with saying their name. No moreso than I would with them saying mine. It's freaking weird to be on a first name basis with people you don't know.
Unread March 16th, 2011, 08:17 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Breathe 09 View Post
Yep I couldnt believe, I love New York so to think of people actually being able to park there is so weird, but the parking garages are outrageous.
are you talking about NYC? or the state? Cuz i live in the State of NY, and we have always had parking meters. As far as the city is concerned..idk