I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > I Hate Blockbuster > News

Unread October 26th, 2011, 08:07 PM
IHBB Freak

Warner Brothers withholds films from Blockbuster

Just to make it official...

Warner Bros. doesn't want to make it a Blockbuster night.

The studio has said it will no longer authorize the video store chain to carry its new movies when they are released on DVD. At issue is Warner Bros.' desire to have outlets such as Blockbuster offer its films only for sale for the first 28 days of release before allowing consumers to rent titles. Netflix and Redbox also have to wait 28 days before offering Warner Bros. titles for rent.

Warner Bros. has long enforced this policy with Redbox and other outlets, but this marks the first time it has played hardball with Blockbuster, which was recently sold to satellite broadcaster Dish Network.

That Warner Bros. made this move soon after Blockbuster announced plans to create its own online streaming service to compete with Netflix is no coincidence. When Blockbuster was strictly a retail outlet, Warner Bros. was friendlier toward it because it wanted the video chain — which has struggled financially — to survive and compete against Netflix and Redbox.

Blockbuster is apparently taking matters into its own hands and buying up copies of Warner Bros. releases to stock the shelves in its stores. A spokesman for Dish declined to comment.

Warner Bros. has indicated that it will seek to increase the length of the 28-day window with Netflix and Redbox when it negotiates new deals with the two companies later this year.

The Financial Times first reported this story.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to orbitdvd For This Useful Post:
Baby Firefly (October 27th, 2011), Glass Half Empty (October 27th, 2011), inkedangel (October 27th, 2011), johnlow71 (October 27th, 2011), JustTheFacts (October 27th, 2011)
Unread October 27th, 2011, 04:05 PM

So we run out and buy the movies we can't get and then not even 2 weeks later pull copies of Pirates and Green Lantern for prp because we bought too many and Blockbuster thinks they will sell for $19.99? Did anyone keep the original artwork? Whoever is ordering the movies we do get from distribution can't get that right either-way too many copies of Fast Five and Zookeeper!
Unread October 27th, 2011, 08:26 PM

Don't you put the coverart in the lockbox when you convert to rental? Or is that not how it is done anymore?

Or are we talking about like a cardboard box type case around it?

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Blockbuster's positions, strategies, or opinion.
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies, or opinion.
Unread October 27th, 2011, 08:51 PM

hummm so i would love to see the local buy for harry potter coming up... if we are already having to buy crazy,stupid,love... damn you Warner for making me stay out past midnight to buy your movies to put on my shelves...
Unread October 28th, 2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itirnitii View Post
Don't you put the coverart in the lockbox when you convert to rental? Or is that not how it is done anymore?

Or are we talking about like a cardboard box type case around it?
My SM ripped up all the artwork for the 3 movies (Pirates, Green and Bosses) and threw away all packaging.
Unread October 28th, 2011, 08:11 AM
IHBB GOD

Your suppose to throw everything else out and Dish will just get it back with other artwork. Its pretty lame they did this.

btw. Heres what box office had to say about the Warner stuff

"Today, Warner Bros. has indicated that they have placed Blockbuster in the same 28 day rental delay window as Netflix and Redbox. Blockbuster is continuing to negotiate with Warner Bros. regarding our purchasing strategy and has not agreed to the same 28 day window as our competitors.

As we continue to negotiate with Warner Bros., we will also continue to meet our customer’s expectations. We will update you with any changes to our current course of action as they develop.

As a reminder, employees should not discuss our purchasing strategy or studio relationships with anyone outside of Blockbuster. If asked by anyone, including media, about our title availability as it relates to rental windows set by studios, employees should respond with “no comment.” All media inquiries should be directed to DISH Network’s Corporate Communications department at 720-514-5351."
Unread October 28th, 2011, 09:55 AM

in the communication update it said to hold on to all of the coverart and cases for the future.
Unread October 28th, 2011, 07:14 PM

We held onto all of ours.
Unread October 29th, 2011, 10:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to Baby Firefly
Bahahahahahaha! They haven't agreed? Who gives a shit? WB still isn't supplying them and they are still having to go outsde to purchase the titles...what's the copy depth gonna be on Harry Potter? My BB cheerleader friend is all excited about Redbox hiking their prices .20...calls it "job security". WTF. You can't turn around here without bumping into a Redbox...BB stores? Not so much. Guess RB figures a nominal increase won't be hurt them too badly since WB is now denying BB. Hee! I just sit back and giggle my everlovin' ass off.
Unread October 29th, 2011, 10:58 AM

If you're tearing up the cover art from the retail movie what are you putting in the lock boxes? Generic covers? Seems silly. I must be missing something.

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Blockbuster's positions, strategies, or opinion.
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies, or opinion.