I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread January 31st, 2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantheman View Post

But...we're no longer opening any new accounts without a credit/debit card.
You guys can't do that. You must offer them the other forms for more than one reason.

1) It's policy
2) It's against the law to discriminate against people who do not have good credit or the like. (No I am not a lawyer, but this is the U.S. and you know it will come up as an issue).
Unread January 31st, 2008, 02:28 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koron View Post
You guys can't do that. You must offer them the other forms for more than one reason.

1) It's policy
2) It's against the law to discriminate against people who do not have good credit or the like. (No I am not a lawyer, but this is the U.S. and you know it will come up as an issue).
Point 2)... is that really true?

In the UK, we have to see either a statement or bill - ie. something that relates to credit and proves the customer can be trusted with money management/settling debts.

So when the pikeys come in with court summons and disconnection notices, we generally tell them to fuck off.

And when the bank refuses these people a loan, do they try and sue them for discrimination...?
Unread January 31st, 2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissHailstorm View Post
Point 2)... is that really true?

In the UK, we have to see either a statement or bill - ie. something that relates to credit and proves the customer can be trusted with money management/settling debts.

So when the pikeys come in with court summons and disconnection notices, we generally tell them to fuck off.

And when the bank refuses these people a loan, do they try and sue them for discrimination...?
I believe there is a difference between requiring good credit for a loan and requiring good credit period. What the stores are basically saying when they require credit cards and do not allow other forms of ID is you aren't good enough to be one of our members because you can't pay your credit cards.

Besides like I said, I am not a lawyer, but what they are doing is discriminating against people without credit cards or bank accounts. It doesn't help we are in Sue Happy land and trust me, they will cause enough stink about it to get it fixed.
Unread January 31st, 2008, 08:04 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to justanotherworker
Quote:

1) It's policy
A remark like this one always kills me. YES, BB can do whatever they want. It's not discrimination. They are offering a service to the public, if they choose to say we want a credit card or a debit card to ensure our property gets returned to us, They have every right to do that. If people dont like it. dont rent.
It was like this way back in the beginning. BB or at least my store became laxed in getting this info. Whats the big deal here anyways? Renting isnt a right... its a privledge.
Just like driving a car. Does anyone ever watch Judge Judy?" just pay the man, he is gonna get it one way or another"
Unread January 31st, 2008, 09:37 PM
IHBB Freak

Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?

Well ARE YOU!!!????????

Last edited by ClutztomerControl; January 14th, 2009 at 12:28 AM.
Unread January 31st, 2008, 09:39 PM
IHBB GOD

Heh in Canada we aren't legally allowed to have CC#'s on accounts... but being Canada, people are worried about their credit rating being affected by bad debt, so we don't really have any issues usually.

Unread January 31st, 2008, 09:48 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomithrandel View Post
Heh in Canada we aren't legally allowed to have CC#'s on accounts... but being Canada, people are worried about their credit rating being affected by bad debt, so we don't really have any issues usually.

If it wasn't so cold there... I'd move to Canada.
Unread January 31st, 2008, 09:52 PM
IHBB GOD

Charging $4.50 for a rental discriminates against the poor. Stocking only a primarily-visual medium discriminates against the blind. Categorizing product in alphabetical and other easy-to-understand systems discriminates against the retarded.

If people have such bad credit that they don't have one viable credit card, why would we want to enter into a lending agreement with them?

And I've always been a fan of "I don't believe in credit cards." They do exist! I've got one on me right now!
It drops the movie in the bin or else it gets the fee again.
PUT THE FUCKING MOVIE IN THE FUCKING BASKET.
Unread January 31st, 2008, 09:55 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Car dealerships.

Furniture Outlets.

Banks.

All places that can and will "discriminate" against you without having decent credit. Besides...this has nothing to do with credit. I'm no lawyer, either, but i'm pretty sure that's not a law...or at least if it is, it's not as broad as the way you put it.

We require credit cards for all new accounts because we lose far too much product over VG accounts. We may be turning down a paying customer in doing this, but we're also preventing a situation where a customer could rent several movies and never bring them back.
Love each and every one of you. Thank you for years of great memories!!!!!!!
Unread January 31st, 2008, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantheman View Post
Car dealerships.

Furniture Outlets.

Banks.

All places that can and will "discriminate" against you without having decent credit. Besides...this has nothing to do with credit. I'm no lawyer, either, but i'm pretty sure that's not a law...or at least if it is, it's not as broad as the way you put it.

We require credit cards for all new accounts because we lose far too much product over VG accounts. We may be turning down a paying customer in doing this, but we're also preventing a situation where a customer could rent several movies and never bring them back.
What I am trying to say is there is a difference between requiring GOOD credit and requiring Credit Cards.

One is legal, the other I am pretty certain can't be done. WHere's Oz when you need him. He'd know