I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread June 11th, 2007, 10:57 PM
IHBB GOD

[NOOB's READ THIS FIRST] Yo -- new forum members, click and read.

Welcome to the Employee section of the I Hate Blockbuster forums.

You're probably here because you googled 'hate' and 'blockbuster' in the same search. Whether you are a customer or an employee, we know how you feel, and we're here for you. Well, you can tell yourself that anyway. It's not true.

It is true that the majority of posters here were at one time or currently are employees of Blockbuster stores, franchise stores of Blockbuster, or other video rental chains. We have all types of positions as well - CSRs, SLs, ASMs/SSMs, SMs, and some even above that! They are from Blockbuster stores and other rental chains alike, and are very knowledgeable when it comes to running a store.

Indeed, there is a wealth of information about Blockbuster to be found here. We generally know everything. There isn't a question we cannot answer. And if a question goes unanswered, it's because we didn't want to answer it, not because we didn't know the answer. Go ahead, try and test us, we may or may not reply (don't start any new threads though to do this, more on this later.)

It's cool if you ask a serious question about work. We know that they don't actually teach you anything in the training process. We also know that as a customer, things like 'policies' can be confusing. We can interpret them for you. We can clarify them for you. We'll tell you how stores differ from one another.

But here's the deal... we are not here to defend Blockbuster, so if you've come here to complain about Blockbuster and find support, you're in the wrong place.

Yes, you read the site name right. This is I Hate Blockbuster. And yes, the site's owner, Chris, really does hate Blockbuster. Hell, most of us employees and past employees hate Blockbuster too. You won't be surprising us if you do too! And we do not care, even in the slightest degree, about Blockbuster's competition against its rivals Netflix, Movie Gallery/Hollywood Video, any online movie download sites, or anything to do with format wars, closing stores, and other such related things.

We don't want to see news articles about any of this. We don't read them, and if you insist on trying to start discussions/flame wars about what we think of Blockbuster's stance against [insert random company/technology], you will find the discussion derailed very, very quickly. Expect several replies having nothing to do with your boring post, and everything to do with various chemical properties, foreign insects' mating rituals, and other far more interesting things. Look at it this way: do you care about any of that? Nope. Now guess how we feel about your post?

Now then, one of our faithful posters, Antithesys, has four little tips for you to make your stay more pleasant...

Still confused?

Don't start new threads. It's very self-explanitory. Let me say it again. Do not start new threads. The reason we don't want new threads is because you really have nothing new to say. We know this. So don't start them. Reply all you want to current threads, but don't start new threads. Most every thread you could create has already been done. Here are some of the things we don't care about to read in a new thread:

- What you found in your drop box.
- How bad your shift was.
- How bad your other employees are.
- How you aren't getting enough hours.
- You're being expected to work weekends.
- You've failed compass training.
- How you believe you should be getting paid for [pointless unpaid procedure.]
- And basically everything else.

Do you feel like starting a new thread? STOP!
Does 'everything else' cover your new thread idea? YES!
Solution? Find previously created thread for approrpriate on-going discussion. STOP!
Are you about to reply to a thread you have not read? YES!
Solution? Proceed to read through thread. Take note that your reply has already been done. Do not reply.

This, then, is the second rule. The majority of the time, you probably shouldn't post at all. The reason being, you need to get a feel for the forum before you jump right in and make a name for yourself. You're probably an employee of Blockbuster and you've just found this site and you're looking for people in similar situations. You don't want to just post -- you want to be recognized and respected. This is a small community in and of itself. We either accept you or we don't, and people we don't accept generally don't stick around, though we give everyone an equal chance.

It seems like 90% of new forum members seem to post incredibly stupid things. They don't add anything to the forum. I do not know why this is, but it just appears to be this way. What we are looking for then is people who stand out as intelligent individuals who aren't necessarily looking for attention, but just looking to have a place to sometimes vent, to add to discussions, and to contribute to an ongoing place that sometimes (and most often) has nothing to do with the world of Blockbuster.

And thus, the third rule. We will actually read your messages if they blend in with other messages. That is, if you take the time to make sure they are coherent and thought-out, we'll recognize you better. Now, this doesn't mean we're going to reply and say, "Oh wow, you showed excellent use of the English language there." It does mean though that we won't be replying saying, "What the hell are you trying to say? I can't even read that."

Remember: no response is better than a negative response!

The last rule is simple and applies to all forums. You are new to the boards. We aren't. Each of us recognizes one another as bringing something unique to the forums. That's why we come back. That's why we can be pissed off at each other and still respect each other. Hell, there are tons of people on here who have on going feuds daily, but each generally respects the other... kind of. But we aren't coming back for you unless you give us a reason to do so. Want to be a part of the forum? Follow the rules.

Welcome aboard!

Last edited by igniteice; January 17th, 2010 at 11:38 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to igniteice For This Useful Post:
imperialprobedroid (May 18th, 2011), LoveMyGreek (July 19th, 2009)
Unread June 11th, 2007, 11:06 PM
IHBB GOD

Needs to be stickied.
Love each and every one of you. Thank you for years of great memories!!!!!!!
Unread June 12th, 2007, 05:58 AM
IHBB Freak

Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?

Well ARE YOU!!!????????

Last edited by ClutztomerControl; January 14th, 2009 at 01:20 AM.
Unread June 12th, 2007, 06:35 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutztomerControl View Post
You know what's almost as bad as "newbies"? Elitist, forum know it all smarty pants. No one cares how long you have been an active member of a forum. No one cares how high your post count is. No one cares about your current and previous forum wisdom.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. Of course my newbie opinion isn't valid to the almighty forum wizards.
Dude you have it all wrong.
You just can't show up and expect to be everyone's pal, and you're naive to assume that almost every new topic posted by newbies isn't something some other newbie posted slightly earlier, and so on. It's really annoying.

And who the hell are you anyway? I don't know you, but this is at least the second time I've seen you post something calling us elitist just because we've been here and know the ropes better than you.

Let me try and establish a metaphor. When one merges onto a freeway, he comes into the slow lane and works his way to the fast lane. You, on the other hand, are like one of those really annoying drivers who merges onto the freeway at 40mph and crosses immediately over three or four lanes to the fast lane, but without actually accelerating past 40, let alone going at least the speed limit. Then you think all the 65-80 mph drivers who have been in the fast lane for a while are elitist because they're slamming on their brakes, honking, and flipping you off as they swerve madly around you to avoid an accident. No, they've just been on the freeway already long enough to accelerate to fast lane speeds, and it's really irritating when someone comes in at 40mph, that's all. Going that speed, you wouldn't even understand what we mean.
If you stay in the slow lane for a while while you gain speed, and move over carefully, then you can easily merge into the forum culture and we won't give you a hard time.

The point is, that from the perspective of the slow lane, the cars whizzing by in the other lanes seem like they're going maniacally fast, but they're actually just going freeway speeds. It's not elitism, they've just had more time to accelerate properly. So chill out already.
Unread June 12th, 2007, 07:03 AM
IHBB Freak

Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?Really? Are you that bored that you are reading my old post on here? Do you have a life of your own?

Well ARE YOU!!!????????

Last edited by ClutztomerControl; January 14th, 2009 at 01:21 AM.
Unread June 12th, 2007, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk237 View Post
Dude you have it all wrong.
You just can't show up and expect to be everyone's pal, and you're naive to assume that almost every new topic posted by newbies isn't something some other newbie posted slightly earlier, and so on. It's really annoying.

And who the hell are you anyway? I don't know you, but this is at least the second time I've seen you post something calling us elitist just because we've been here and know the ropes better than you.

Let me try and establish a metaphor. When one merges onto a freeway, he comes into the slow lane and works his way to the fast lane. You, on the other hand, are like one of those really annoying drivers who merges onto the freeway at 40mph and crosses immediately over three or four lanes to the fast lane, but without actually accelerating past 40, let alone going at least the speed limit. Then you think all the 65-80 mph drivers who have been in the fast lane for a while are elitist because they're slamming on their brakes, honking, and flipping you off as they swerve madly around you to avoid an accident. No, they've just been on the freeway already long enough to accelerate to fast lane speeds, and it's really irritating when someone comes in at 40mph, that's all. Going that speed, you wouldn't even understand what we mean.
Your metaphor was absolutely perfect. And this opinion is coming from a noob himself. I really dont know why someone would come on this forum and think that everyone here is your friend. If you make a total ass out of yourself, then you probably deserve the flaming you get. Then again, these new idiots that show up here every couple of days, are probably the average/lazy idiotic employees that customers complain about so much.

my .02
Unread June 12th, 2007, 07:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to moonprism Send a message via MSN to moonprism Send a message via Yahoo to moonprism
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk237 View Post
If you stay in the slow lane for a while while you gain speed, and move over carefully, then you can easily merge into the forum culture and we won't give you a hard time.

The point is, that from the perspective of the slow lane, the cars whizzing by in the other lanes seem like they're going maniacally fast, but they're actually just going freeway speeds. It's not elitism, they've just had more time to accelerate properly. So chill out already.
Already been said, but perfect metaphor. Well done.

"One time, I applied for a job renting movies to people and ended up getting hired to be a sales person."
-penguinmike
Unread June 12th, 2007, 07:23 AM
IHBB Freak

Well ARE YOU!!!????????

Last edited by ClutztomerControl; January 14th, 2009 at 01:21 AM.
Unread June 12th, 2007, 07:26 AM

I can Fly... Bet you didnt know that.

A friend in need is a friend indeed but a friend with weed is better.
Unread June 12th, 2007, 08:30 AM
IHBB GOD

Remember, Remember, the Fifth of November
It drops the movie in the bin or else it gets the fee again.
PUT THE FUCKING MOVIE IN THE FUCKING BASKET.