I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread April 6th, 2011, 07:09 AM

This acquisition has more to do with Blockbuster by mail, the kiosks, and on demand. I'm thinking that Dish wanted a jump start on a program similar to Netflix's crazy popular Watch Instantly.

I hope the first step is firing the guy that said "Blockbuster won't do unlimited streaming, because we're all about new releases." -followed by 4 copies of New releases in the stores, usually a few weeks after the street date.

Dish may or may not be interested in keeping stores open. You could make a case that they'll want a physical location to show their products and for face to face customer service, but that would be extremely optimistic thinking.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slappywag For This Useful Post:
max belmont (April 6th, 2011)
Unread April 6th, 2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitdvd View Post
In my mid-sized area of 100,000 people, there are five Blockbuster stores. I am hearing in much larger cities like Knoxville and Indianapolis, there are only two. So there is a discrepancy that will to be addressed.
That's correct about Indy. Oops, gave away where I am. LOL Seriously, it is correct and I had one (the one I used to work at) 2 minutes from my house. It's closing along w/another store that just found out last week, or the week before, so now the closest one to me is a half hour away. It makes for having the online account almost worthless. Not to mention most of the top films on my list are on some sort of wait or "unavailable" even tho it came out weeks ago.
Unread April 6th, 2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
That's correct about Indy. Oops, gave away where I am. LOL Seriously, it is correct and I had one (the one I used to work at) 2 minutes from my house. It's closing along w/another store that just found out last week, or the week before, so now the closest one to me is a half hour away. It makes for having the online account almost worthless. Not to mention most of the top films on my list are on some sort of wait or "unavailable" even tho it came out weeks ago.
This drove me insane when they stopped offering By Mail only. Who want's to pay 2 bucks more than Netflix for something they can't use? The only redeeming quality about BB's online program is that they offer games, and I'm pretty sure there's only about a hundred actual game discs in circulation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slappywag For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (April 6th, 2011)
Unread April 6th, 2011, 08:20 AM
IHBB GOD

interesting hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Unread April 6th, 2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappywag View Post
This drove me insane when they stopped offering By Mail only. Who want's to pay 2 bucks more than Netflix for something they can't use? The only redeeming quality about BB's online program is that they offer games, and I'm pretty sure there's only about a hundred actual game discs in circulation.
If you want Blu-Ray on Netflix, it is the same cost as Total Access.

Disclaimer: The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Blockbuster's or Dish Network's positions, strategies or opinions, because they are all a bunch of dickless idiots.
Unread April 6th, 2011, 08:34 AM
IHBB GOD

yeah judge has till thursday to approve or disaprove.
Unread April 6th, 2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlockbusterLuvsU View Post
If you want Blu-Ray on Netflix, it is the same cost as Total Access.
I don't. I'm glad they don't make me pay for something I won't use.
Unread April 6th, 2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappywag View Post
I don't. I'm glad they don't make me pay for something I won't use.
That's cool, but those of us who live in the 21st century want our high definition movies. I'm kidding, I get your point of view. But regardless, if you have a blu-ray player then Blockbuster Online and Netflix are the same price.

Disclaimer: The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Blockbuster's or Dish Network's positions, strategies or opinions, because they are all a bunch of dickless idiots.
Unread April 6th, 2011, 09:07 AM
IHBB Freak

I prefer Netflix to Blockbuster for it's general efficiency, but BB does have more hard-to-find movies and a more user-friendly website (discs for sale, what's releasing, etc) and the new function that allows you to prioritize your queue (wait longer for hot rental or just have the next easily available sent). The problem I have with BB is that they are MUCH slower, and too often the discs show up cracked or seemingly cleaned with a Brillo pad. Also, Netflix might be cheaper now -- but wait to see how they react to all the pressure being put on them by studios for greater profits. I see them upping their price a few bucks in the near future.
Unread April 6th, 2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlockbusterLuvsU View Post
That's cool, but those of us who live in the 21st century want our high definition movies. I'm kidding, I get your point of view. But regardless, if you have a blu-ray player then Blockbuster Online and Netflix are the same price.
I have a blu ray but i haven't paid to upgrade yet on netflix. I'm waiting til i have more time to watch movies and more money to get more than one out at a time. I know that probably doesn't make any sense but the only time that blu ray makes a real difference for me is the movies with lots of special effects and I'm more into those than my husband is so I need to be able to have something ready for him to watch too lol. The only reason right now I'd choose netflix over TA (besides my obvious aversion to giving BBI any more of my money) is that in less than a year on TA, they screwed up no less than 3 times in what they'd send me and what was or was not in my queue. Most recently, I had a completely empty queue, returned the last movie I had out on my employee online account to the store, and the next day got notification that they were sending me THE SAME MOVIE I had just returned the night before, making me waste time and gas to go back to the store to return it. And since it was an employee account, there was no place that gave me the option to 'cancel' as it says I'm currently not subscribed to anything (even though they still send me shit lol).

Been with netflix for about 6 years I think and the only time I've ever had an issue was a copy of Practical Magic that wouldn't play because it said it was a double sided disk and I needed to turn it over to play the movie. Only it wasn't a double sided disk. Not something that I can blame netflix for so in essence, never had a problem with them in all that time.